1.    #1  
    I've asked a few times if anyone can recommend a good Palm/Mac password program, but it appears that there just isn't anything for the Mac. So...I'm breaking down and getting virtual PC.

What I'm looking for is a good, secure program to store passwords, account numbers, and general notes that I want to be secure. It'd be nice to also have a desktop companion to it, but not necessary.

If anyone has used a program like that, and could offer some comments, it would be appreciated!
    The ***BEST***one for the palm is called "strip" You can find it on palmgear.
    It uses strong encryption and best of all it is FREEWARE!
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...11&prodID=3912

[This message has been edited by Babylon5 (edited 02-28-2000).]
  3.    #3  
    Babylon5:

Thanks! It looks like a good program...downloading it now. I would be interested in your own thoughts as to why you feel it is the best out there...

Thanks!
    Before you decide to commit your account info to your Visor, please review the documentation on the GNU Keyring project homepage: http://gnukeyring.sourceforge.net/

Even if you decide to use another product, the limitations of this class of products are given there. There have been other threads on this topic here on VC; and, if you are interested, I suggest you run a search to find them.

BTW, if you do decide to use GNU Keyring, you can report bugs at http://sourceforge.net/project/?group_id=306
    Another good encryption program that is free is from www.certicom.com.
    I've tried most if not all of them. My personal favorite is CryptInfo. It's not free, but I registered it because I thought it had the best interface. I thought Strip was ok too, but preferred the features of CryptInfo, especially the ability to import and export records to the notepad. I had about 50 accounts I needed to load and entering them by hand would have been a real hassle. I was able to import all of my accounts with minimal effort.

It does not have a desktop component.
    I like CryptInfo too. It doesn't have a desktop component, but you can do an export on your palm to the memo pad, do a hot synch, then edit the file on your PC.

Just make sure to delete the export from your memopad. I keep a password protected version of the export file on my trusted PC.

I'll give GnuKeychain a try once it does inports/exports.
    _______________QUOTE______________________
    I thought Strip was ok too, but preferred the features of CryptInfo, especially the ability to import and export records to the notepad. I had about 50 accounts I needed to load and entering them by hand would have been a real hassle
    I entered them all by hand starting out so it isn't that bad. To answer the previous question, I like Strip as it encrypts very well. I am sure the others do as well. A professor recommended this to me. Some programs only encrypt the password to get into the program and others only encrypt to a point. This strong encryption version of strip uses 128 IDEA encryption that is *VERY* good from what I hear. Security is my main concern as I have my server passwors on it.

I also like the way it times out and locks itself. Also you can use the find feature when strip is running to find a password. It is just an overall nice program, to me, especially for the price.

Please try them all though. I may look at some others, as I like to be open minded about software.

Originally posted by wilderf:
    I keep a password protected version of the export file on my trusted PC.
    wilderf,
    Sorry to drift off the subject slightly, but what desktop application do you use to encrypt your exported file? Thanks.
    Call me paranoid, but even using Strip, I don't keep important passwords on my Visor or in any other database.

I'll put a clue word to the password in Strip, but that's it.

Maybe I'm not paranoid enough, but I don't like these utilities that do encryption on the Visor. I primarily maintain info in the Notes folder in Microsoft Outlook so encryption is very inconvenient.

I use TealLock to lock my Visor. You can enter a password just by using the buttons on the Visor.
    >Sorry to drift off the subject slightly, but what desktop application do
    > you use to encrypt your exported file? Thanks.

I went to http://winfiles.cnet.com/ and downloaded a "Windows 95/98 File Encryption Utility"
    There are a lot of free ones for the PC that look pretty good.

Frank
  13.    #13  
    Thanks for all of the replies. I've taken a look at them and have decided that Cryptinfo, at least imho, it the best in regards to it's interface and ease of use. I'm not sure if it is the most secure, but it should be secure enough for the person on the street that finds it to not figure it out.

Thanks!
  14.    #14  
    It's time to bring this thread back...I FINALLY came across a very nice password program that also has good desktop apps for both the Mac and PC.

It's called Password Store (kind of a lame name) but I've found the interface to be as good, if not better than a lot of the ones mentioned above.

You can download demos at:
    http://www.standalone.com/

I think it comes to $25 if you get the Palm OS version + one desktop version.
    I have tried quite a number of security prog. but bought "Secret!", because it has a simple windows utility for data entry. The conduit allows synch. between the PC and Handheld which is important for me. The conduit can be downloaded separately and has nag screen poping out once in a while until you pay for it.
  16. a3r
    One warning on Teallock (and several other's I have tried). It can be defeated if you leave a springboard module in your unit and let the auto-time-lock secure your unit (In the "lock-when" section of settings). Pulling the card out will power up the visor and teallock will never engage. I informed Teal about it, but they said they could not fix the problem

I did find OnlyMe (at least v2.15) does not have this weakness. OnlyMe is much faster too

17.    #17  
    Well, I thought I'd update this thread. I initally found Password Store and liked it a lot, but it had problems, and after a few months of back and forth with their support, I've decided it isn't going to meet my needs.

I thin tried out SECRET! as it had a Mac desktop application as well. However, Secret just seems to be a secure memo pad, which makes organizing password pretty much impossible.

I had used Web-Confidential for a bit a while back, but never really fell in love with its interface.

So, are there any other Password Storage applications that also support a Macintosh desktop application?

I'm leaning towards just using MultiAccounts and forgetting about the desktop app, but I would REALLY like the added functionality of being able to open up my passwords on either of my Macs.
    We're all naked if you turn us inside out.
    -David Byrne