Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    For what its worth. I have solved my spontaneous reboots. the culprit was Backupman. I noticed that my reboots were occurring when I had VERY low NVFS Cache RAM. After much testing, THE program causing the NVFS Cache RAM to disappear is Backupman. I just ran the following test:

Reboot Treo.
    Run MemoryInfo
    Results:
    NVFS Cache (RAM) Total Size: 11967KB
    Total Free: 7887KB
    Largest Free Chunk: 7876KB

Run Backupman (version 1.52b5) and do a backup

Run MemoryInfo
    Results:
    NVFS Cache (RAM) Total Size: 11967KB
    Total Free: 656KB
    Largest Free Chunk: 59KB

Go to Blazer. Get the following error message:
    DOWNLOAD ERROR There is not enough memory available on your device.

I stopped running Backupman a week ago, and I have not had even ONE reboot.
    How do you run MemoryInfo? I searched thru TreoCentral. Did not find it any place.
    Thanks!
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Here it is.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    Wow.. I just ran that. Small dynamic Heap the Treo 650 has!!

Anyway, I ran Right Backup and the largest free chunk and total free NVFS was lower than right after I did a reset.

So I don't know if this is just an effect of the Treo's memory function or what. I'm not knowledgable enough on the memory process on the treo.
    Where did this app come from? Is it a developer tool or something?

Quote Originally Posted by delao13
    Here it is.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    Good question. I don't recall where I downloaded it from.
    I notice throughout the day, as I use different programs, that tyhe Largest Free Chunk gets smaller. But nothing as dramatic as after doing a backup with Backupman. Nothing.
    According to the developers of BackupMan this is actually a bug in the Treo ROM which is triggered by the BackupMan software.

See http://www.bitsnbolts.com/tungsten_t5.html

Out of memory error during Backup/Restore operation (Dm 0201): This error is caused by a bug in the Treo 650/Tungsten T5 that 3rd party developers cannot work around. Essentially, the more data you read/write from the NVFS system on the device, the more likely you are to see this problem. This problem also can show up as a random reset (Treo 650) or Fatal Exception (Tungsten T5).

Power users with nearly full memory are likely to experience this often, users with fewer applications and less data will experience it much less frequently.

We are hopeful that palmOne will fix this problem in the near future, and we will continue to update this website with further information as it becomes available
    Haven't been able to receive a call in two days. Just hard reset, reloaded on vital apps, did not reload backupman. Phone is acting like brand new now. Wonder how long this will last?
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    What I don't understand from bitsnbolts' explanation is why my two other backup programs (Cardbackup & BackupBuddyVFS) don't exhibited the same problem.
    Global Posts
    779 Global Posts
    You can use ClockPop5 to quickly display: date, time, battery level, memory level, calendar apts, etc. while in the middle of almost any other running app. The Heap value is not shown by default in the memory config, but is easily added via ClockPop5 Skins.

[Edit] Yes, I know the Heap value is different from the NVFS Cache. But I thought the ClockPop5 feature might be of interest to readers of this thread. BTW I see the same behavior on my 650 as Post #1.

ERic
    Last edited by ERicJ; 02/24/2005 at 12:04 AM.