Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I realize there's another thread on this but it is way too long.

So, what's the bottom line. I tried Chatter and Versamail and like them both but don't love them. Versamail has a better interface, ease of putting in 2 mailboxes, navigation, and customization -- but takes forever to download messages and you can only autosynch every 5 minutes.

Chatter gets the mail quicker and is generally faster -- but the interface stinks and the navigation is horrible.

How's Snappermail? Which is best? Quick pros and cons. (Other than price).
    the navigation and interface in my mind who tried a lot of other e mail clients is that chatter is the best you are right about versamail very slow and not very stable.Did you try the latest version of chatter the interface has improved greatly.

Fred
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    I've not used chatter, but I'm quite happy with Snappermail.
    Do you know if any or all of the mail apps allow you to keep messages on the server (for IMAP, and perhaps POP) and keep them marked as new?
    Quote Originally Posted by lucidfuse
    Do you know if any or all of the mail apps allow you to keep messages on the server (for IMAP, and perhaps POP) and keep them marked as new?
    I don't know about marking them as "new" on the server, but they all do let you keep messages on the server.

I tried out Versamail and got some resets because of corruption (I assume) and besides that, Versamail refused to let me delete messages on the server, which is one of the reasons I like using email on the Treo - delete junk before it gets to my desktop! Snappermail works GREAT. It just flat out works and does exactly what I need it to do! Haven't tried Chatter, but I see no reason to try it since Snapper works so well.
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    seaflipper,
    from what you and the majority of others discussing versamail vs. chatter vs. snappermail, sounds like Snappermail is the winner.

I will definitely check it out. Thanks for the info.
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    Snapper is great if you are happy with pop mail, it's reliable and has a good user interface. I used to use it with my Treo 600. Chatter however gives instant IMAP-based push email, and works great once you get it set up. The UI is not as good as Snapper's (I miss the thumb interface stuff, where the scrollbars are made large, etc.), but the ability to instantly fetch IMAP email in the background is extremely nice. Sitting through the interminable Snappermail fetches was driving me nuts. Now my Blackberry using friends can drool in envy at my Chattermail.

Versamail seems to lose out on reliability (causes stability problems for a lot of people). It's not terrible, worth trying, maybe it will work for you. Outlook synching is something that matters a lot to some people, and Versamail does that.

I agree that the current Chatter interface is not too bad. It could still use some work - and there is one REALLY annoying thing, which is that a misconfigured email account very easily leads to 100% CPU utilization, causing your Treo to flip out. Slightly smarter behavior in these circumstances would be nice. But once you get Chatter up and running, nothing beats it.
    I've tried all three email apps and am completely satisfied with Chatter. Bottomline, it does what its supposed to do and it does it best in my opinion. Although the UI might be archaic to some, keep in mind that the developer Marc Blank is constantly improving the program while greatly taking into consideration customer feedback.

Most importantly, the technical support with Chatter is second to none. I emailed Marc with a problem and he responded with another email in under a minute. A testament to both his commitment to customers and to the power and efficiency of push email.
    I am using Chattermail and while I agree the UI is not the most polished out there, if you have a server that supports IMAP (I use Fastmail.fm for all of my non-work email) and you are as dependant on email as I am (I want to know as soon as an email comes in) you will love the "push" email that Chattermail provides.

"Push" email comes at a cost of battery life. I estimate that it reduces battery life by something like 25% - 50% (anybody have a more educated opinion on this), but, as long as I can plug in my Treo every other night or so it isn't an issue. Also, I can tell Chattermail to stop checking email between two times (ie, I tell it not to check email from midnight - 6am while I am sleeping). This way I wake up and I have all my latest emails and it isn't using the extra battery power then.

If you need every email feature on the planet, Chattermail probably isn't for you. If you want "push" email, Chattermail is the only real option.
    chatter is the way to go for IMAP.
    Snapper rules for multiple POP accounts.
    I tried both, and I bought Snapper. I could have used fusemail for the accounts I have that cannot be accessed via IMAP, but I felt like that was just another opportunity to lose important emails.
    Ron
    between the 3, I prefer SnapperMail. In my opinion, it's really the best email program out there for the Treo for POP or IMAP. I've tried many others.
    To me, Chatter serves only 1 good purpose...PUSH mail. When I used Chatter it was only to suppliment SnapperMail for the times I wanted immediate notification. Otherwise Snapper does everything I want, and more, and does it better than anything else. If you don't need push or super frequent syncing, Snapper is the better choice.
    I gave Versamail a shot for a couple of days and prefer SnapperMail.

I have only 1 negative gripe again SnapperMail. It can not check mail in the background. It must own the user interface and in fact turns on the screen (if turned off) to check the mail. I don't understand why it's the only mail program out there for Treo (that I've ever seen) that can not do background retrieval. It's for this reason Snapper is not appropriate for highly frequent mail sycing (less than every 20 min.) I usually just use it in manual retrieval mode anyway.

If you're getting mail directly from an exchange server, you could look in to Nexchange http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...92529&siteid=1
    Last edited by taylorh; 02/23/2005 at 05:26 PM.
    Treo 750 (AT&T)
    Treo600->Treo650->Cing8525->Blackberry 8700c->Treo750->AT&T Tilt->Treo750->iPhone 3G
    taylorh -

Regarding Chatter, I want to add that while the "push" feature is nice, one of the biggest advantages it has is asynchronous operation (sending and receiving mail while you're doing other things). No other email app on the Treo does this. It is also a FAR more powerful IMAP client than either VersaMail or SnapperMail, and is - if anything - MORE feature-laden.

Chatter also has a number of powerful features not found in other apps, including real-time update of folders (including sent items), multiple sending personalities, a raft of notification options, and lots of Treo-specific features (e.g. Chatter works with the T650 phone app to display new mail counts and with the T650's Pics & Videos/Media apps directly. Support for the datebook's Agenda view is also coming soon.)

I think you will find that MOST of Chatter's users care as much or more about these other features than simply "push".

Marc
    mblank-
    Does Chatter work with .mil US military accounts? I'd like to use:
    1) My .mil (US Navy)
    2) My Gmail via Fastmail ----> Chatter
    Yes or no? Possible or not?
    Appreciate it. TIA.
    IS3 Caruso
    jack - I really don't know (nobody's asked before), but I don't know why not... You could try it, of course - there's a 30 day trial.

Marc
    I use it with an .edu account and it works perfectly. I can't imagine any reason why .mil wouldn't work, as long as the email server supports IMAP.

As for gmail -> fastmail -> chatter, check out this thread. A new feature in Chatter reportedly takes advantage of fastmail "identities" as well, so you can have your gmail forwarded thru fastmail to chatter, but when you reply to the email it looks like it's coming right from gmail. There's more info in the thread.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by mblank
    taylorh -

Regarding Chatter, I want to add that while the "push" feature is nice, one of the biggest advantages it has is asynchronous operation (sending and receiving mail while you're doing other things). No other email app on the Treo does this. It is also a FAR more powerful IMAP client than either VersaMail or SnapperMail, and is - if anything - MORE feature-laden.

Chatter also has a number of powerful features not found in other apps, including real-time update of folders (including sent items), multiple sending personalities, a raft of notification options, and lots of Treo-specific features (e.g. Chatter works with the T650 phone app to display new mail counts and with the T650's Pics & Videos/Media apps directly. Support for the datebook's Agenda view is also coming soon.)

I think you will find that MOST of Chatter's users care as much or more about these other features than simply "push".

Marc
    The bolded items, above, are two features that keep me using Chatter Email. Now, I haven't used SnapperMail but I won't even bother since it can't do any tasks in the background - that's really annoying to me.

And, gotta give Marc some serious kudos...his support is phenomenal and (I think) he's put out two releases since I downloaded the trial so I'm sure the UI will be enhanced. Speaking of, I gotta go buy my Chatter Email license.
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    Global Posts
    165 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by jackbauer-ctu24
    mblank-
    Does Chatter work with .mil US military accounts? I'd like to use:
    1) My .mil (US Navy)
    2) My Gmail via Fastmail ----> Chatter
    Yes or no? Possible or not?
    Appreciate it. TIA.
    IS3 Caruso
    Thanks to the NMCI(Navy/Marine Corps Intranet) you cannot check your .MIL exchange account oustide of the Navy/Marine Corps network, or via Outlook Web Access. Unfortunately, there are no ways around it. Sorry!
    Current device: Palm Pre
    Former devices: Treo 755p, Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by rcgabriel
    Outlook synching is something that matters a lot to some people, and Versamail does that.
    Versamail 3.0 doesn't synch with Outlook unless you are using some kind of Active Synch with corporate Exchange Server email or possibly Business Connection Personal Edition from Sprint. The earlier versions appear to have had nice support for desktop email clients with various ways to setup synchronization. The newest version (3.0) so far as I can tell (with a full 24 hours of research, testing, calls to Sprint data support, and hair pulling) doesn't support any kind of email client interaction outside of possibly working in a corporate Exchange environment. The only caveat to this is there might be a horrible bug involved that affects only certain configurations(the Sprint data support said earlier that Palm is aware of an issue with synchronization and VersaMail 3.0).
    im using versamail with outlook 2k3 on my normal pop3 email account (a rogers based email account). I like snappermail, but i am incredibly satisfied with versamail
    I also am happy with Versamail. I have set up my (3) email accounts in Versamail and do a manual retrieval whenever I feel the need to get mail (push is nice, but not worth paying extra duckets for). I accidently found that holding down the mail button scrolls you thru your various email accounts,,,do a quick get and within 2-3 minutes I have all my new mail....via IMAP. The only thing I miss is the ability to send to many multiple addresses and not sure versamail can do that.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast