Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    I need to sync quicken, ical, addressbook, and that's really about it. Should I stick with Palm Desktop for syncing quicken and isync for syncing ical and addressbook? Any recommendations and is this possible?
    I don't sync my Quicken, but for iCal and the address book, the iSync conduit for the palm desktop works well enough for me.

There are some issues....won't sync contact categories for address book, but as MarkSpace does not provide a demo version of their product, I have no idea how well it works when compared to Palm Desktop...and until they do provide a trial, I guess I never will.

So for my use, the iSync conduit is fine. Certainly not as feature rich as the Windows version, but useable.
    Missing Sync won't change anything regarding the functionality of the Address Book and iCal synchronization -- it uses the same iSync conduit from Apple. The situation there probably won't improve until OS X v10.4.

Missing Sync does, however, give you things like conduit profiles (install-only, backup-only, etc.) -- which I use a lot -- and a nicer and more responsive UI than Palm's hotsync manager. But then, I hate the Mac version of Palm Desktop with a passion, so I may have a slight bias.

The Quicken and iSync (iCal, AddressBook) conduits work fine with both. Missing Sync also provides a more modern conduit architecture (conduits can be written with Cocoa in Xcode), but conduits that require it probably won't start appearing until Cobalt-based devices come out, when everyone who wants Mac OS X support will have to use Missing Sync anyway.
    I use the palm desktop and sync software because the sync time is very fast, faster than isync (or w/ entourage conduit). Palm desktop works well enough for me, nothing fancy.
    Psion 3a > Palm Vx w/ Omnisky > Blackberry 850 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700P > Apple iPhone
    I bought Missing Sync mainly for the Addressbook, iCal & iTunes integration. I'm starting to feel like I wasted my money. I like Palm Desktop better than Addressbook for managing contacts. There was a LOT less hassle getting Palm Desktop working than I've had with Missing Sync. Transferring music to the SD card via Missing Sync + iTunes is simply painful, it's sooo slow. I'm getting an SD card adapter to solve the iTunes problem. Syncing iCal works ok, but I can do that with iSync anyways.
    Missing sync is not necessary to sync these items, isync works just fine. I actually prefer the palm desktop that shipped with the 650 to the mac native apps. I sync pocket quicken without any problem just using Palm's hotsync.
    Global Posts
    116 Global Posts
    oay, so I have everything working fine, BUT now when I went to look up someone's address today I found out none of my addresses have synced from addressbook into my treo. I checked the settings, everything "looks" fine, what's going on?
    Here is a vote for Missing Sync (the new Beta version) for Bluetooth sync.
    ditto on missing sync (4.0.4b)
    Quote Originally Posted by ero2
    oay, so I have everything working fine, BUT now when I went to look up someone's address today I found out none of my addresses have synced from addressbook into my treo. I checked the settings, everything "looks" fine, what's going on?
    I'm about to start using iSync rather than the Palm Desktop. However, I'm noticing that your problem might have to do with the fact that iSync uses the old databases of AddressDB and DatebookDB rather than the new ContactsDB and CalendarDB. Thus why you wouldn't be able to see it. Not positive, but that's what I'm thinking.

I'm syncing right now and will assume I'll have a 4meg DatebookDB file on my Treo in addition to it's companion CalendarDB. We'll find out soon...

Yup, it created the DatebookDB file! This blows.
    Alright, been playing around some more with iSync. This thing is terrible, incredible snail-like SLOOWWW. Plus the third time I synced, my Treo reset. No more iSync for me. That was quick.
    I've had a lot of problems too. I run a Dell laptop with Windows XP (SP2) at work and sync to my 650. At home I tried to sync to my G4 Mac running OS 10.3.8. Sometimes changes made on the PC will make it over to the Mac. I've tried syncing with the Missing Sync and the Palm Desktop. Both are just really slow when iSync connects. I'm kind of through using iSync but I don't know what else to use. The Palm Desktop would be nice but there isn't a mail app. I don't want to switch to Entourage (I'm trying to keep away from MS products and solutions). I really like to stay with my OS X mail and address programs (only wish it had Catagories supported).

What I need is a Mac based contact manager that has a date book support and syncs with my Treo.
    Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Palm Vx -> Handera 330 -> m515 -> Samsung SPH-I300 (Sprint) -> Tungsten T -> Sony TH55 (BT/WiFi UK) + SE T637 -> Garmin iQue 3600 -> unlocked Treo 650 (AT&T), Jabra BT110 Headset
    Can Mail export/import from Palm Desktop? (Which can import/export text files as I recall)
    Dunno, but with the Palm desktop I now get duplications in my calendar. Even after I delete something, if anything is modified on the Palm Desktop, it get duplicated on the treo. I'm pretty much through with palmOne. I'm going to switch to another phone.
    Palm III -> Palm IIIx -> Palm Vx -> Handera 330 -> m515 -> Samsung SPH-I300 (Sprint) -> Tungsten T -> Sony TH55 (BT/WiFi UK) + SE T637 -> Garmin iQue 3600 -> unlocked Treo 650 (AT&T), Jabra BT110 Headset
    Quote Originally Posted by danfan521
    Dunno, but with the Palm desktop I now get duplications in my calendar. Even after I delete something, if anything is modified on the Palm Desktop, it get duplicated on the treo. I'm pretty much through with palmOne. I'm going to switch to another phone.
    I think that part of the problem that you are experiencing with duplicate entries is from syncing both with a PC and a Mac. I've tried this with my wife's Windows desktop and my Powerbook and it frequently duplicates entries. Also the contact's categories seem to get messed up, (home vs. work vs. other phone, etc.)

As for Missing Sync itself, I have been using it for several months and really like it. But I don't think that there is anything specific that you can do with it that can't be done with the regular Palm Desktop and the appropriate conduits.

Oh, and in regards to syncing Apple Mail program, I thought that there was a conduit out there that will sync Mail with Versamail. Anyone else remember seeing this?

TMann
    Thanks TMann,

But that's not the problem. I've had numerous Palm OS devices and I have tons of experience with them. My previos two devices all worked with Mac and PC without this much problem.

I switched off of Missing Sync because the Treo had Mac support. Maybe I should give that a try before going back to my old setup.