1.    #1  
    Very novice question here regarding Blue Tooth. I have a friend who was using his Nokia phone to control itunes on his Mac last year and it got me totally fired up to do the same. So, I just bought the 650 so I could do the same and I have no clue where to begin. Can someone advise whether this is even possible and if so, how I should go about doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    Check out Salling Clicker. This app will allow you to run scripts on your mac using your palm, have your Palm act as a mouse for your Mac, see the cover art of the song currently playing in iTunes, search for photos in iPhoto and many other things too numerous to mention. I use it all the time to control the laptop that I have in a cabinet that contains all of my music. I have no affiliation with Salling, I am just a happy customer.

I hope this helps.

Matt
  4.    #4  
    this looks perfect. had a follow-up question or two. i have a pismo g3 powerbook and it doesn't appear to be bluetooth enabled. so, i just need to get one of those USB adapters for $20, right? second, how easy is the software to use? are the scripts automatically created? i'm not as technically deficient as i may sound but i have zero experience with blue tooth and just want to know what i may be getting myself into in terms of the amount of time it will require to get this setup.

thanks again.

jeff
    Global Posts
    598 Global Posts
    Salling Clicker is AWESOME! The scripts are built into the program, so all you have tyo do is use the app on your Treo. I use it all the time when streaming audio from my mac to my stereo in the other room. You can also control Powerpoint, the mouse, audio, etc. Check out the site above, I'm sure there are screenshots. There is also a demo.

Joe
    Quote Originally Posted by jignall
    Very novice question here regarding Blue Tooth. I have a friend who was using his Nokia phone to control itunes on his Mac last year and it got me totally fired up to do the same. So, I just bought the 650 so I could do the same and I have no clue where to begin. Can someone advise whether this is even possible and if so, how I should go about doing it?

Thanks in advance.

Jeff
    I'd second the Salling Clicker recommendation. But keep in mind that it currently does not work with the unlocked GSM 650. It seems to work fine with the Sprint and Cingular models, though.
    Quote Originally Posted by jignall
    this looks perfect. had a follow-up question or two. i have a pismo g3 powerbook and it doesn't appear to be bluetooth enabled. so, i just need to get one of those USB adapters for $20, right? second, how easy is the software to use? are the scripts automatically created? i'm not as technically deficient as i may sound but i have zero experience with blue tooth and just want to know what i may be getting myself into in terms of the amount of time it will require to get this setup.

thanks again.

jeff
    Jeff,

Yes you do need to get a bluetooth adapter, I have used a few of them with Salling Clicker. The software is very easy to use and set up. If you check out the site you will see links to many different scripts that have be created. A bunch of scripts to do most things are also included with the software. It has a trial period so you can try it out, what do you have to lose.

matt
  8.    #8  
    Quote Originally Posted by mattparker
    Jeff,

Yes you do need to get a bluetooth adapter, I have used a few of them with Salling Clicker. The software is very easy to use and set up. If you check out the site you will see links to many different scripts that have be created. A bunch of scripts to do most things are also included with the software. It has a trial period so you can try it out, what do you have to lose.

matt

Matt et al, thanks so much for the help. I got a D-link USB bluetooth adapter, purchased the Salling software and now I am controlling my mac from my TREO 650!! Couldn't have been easier as you noted. Now I'm hungry for more bluetooth applications/uses! You've created a monster! Thanks again everyone.