Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    So far I haven't been able to get a hold of the Axalto SIMs because it seems like no stores in austin are carrying them. I've been having spontaneous soft reset problems with the Gemplus 32k card although I wasn't seeing the VM problem. Earlier today I decided to try out the 64k card, for free, and indeed it really doesn't work well because along with the soft resets I also have gotten the VM problem.

This is my second try with the Treo 650 because my first phone would answer and place calls but the mike and speaker didn't work (even with speaker phone). The only reason I knew it worked is because it would place and receive calls through bluetooth.

Amazon.com has made the exchange procedure extremely painless and they even next-day aired me the phone (I had originally used that service). I've decided to send this one back too because these phones are too damn expensive to be having chronic problems like this. I kind of feel bad for Amazon.com because their service is excellent but they're getting hit with these shipping fees (thank god I'm not!) because of a stupid problem the palmOne created.

I realize the phones are brand new but why hasn't PalmOne at least added a FAQ to their website about this problem?
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Sorry, the 64k card I replaced it with was also a Gemplus.
    I've got the Unlocked 650 with an older 32k SIM. I have no issues with the resets, VM problems, etc so far....
    It's been about a week since i switched over from a Nokia 6620 + Sony Clie UX50 combo to a Treo 650 with the Gemplus card. I've had zero problems with voice mail and the phone has not locked up at all.
    my treo keeps resetting itself mostly when receiving calls from recognized names in the contacts I have tried this by blocking the ID (and it works fine) I have swapped treos bit still have the 64K sim
    is the sim the problem?
  6.    #86  
    Quote Originally Posted by ellie68
    my treo keeps resetting itself mostly when receiving calls from recognized names in the contacts I have tried this by blocking the ID (and it works fine) I have swapped treos bit still have the 64K sim
    is the sim the problem?
    What SIM do you have? It doesnt sound like a SIM problem, more like a contacts database corruption problem, but it cant hurt to get rid of a SIM that is KNOWN to cause resets to eliminate all other possibilities.

You say mostly - is there some contacts that do it consistently? If so, go into that contact and change or add your own house number, so when you call yourself from your house phone it pulls up the number. If you can get it to reset, create a new record with your home number, delete the home number from the previous contact record, and try again? Does it reset?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Got the new axalto card today, turns out one place in austin has it. So far the phone seems a lot more stable but I did have one automatic soft reset a little while ago. The error message was the usual "HALRadioAcDc.c, Line:441, Host wake not asserted in time". Hopefully this was a freak occurance with the new chip but I'll keep you informed.
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    new axalto sim - vmail problem resolved.
    Greetings! I posted about this in another thread, but it looks like some people here haven't been there, so I thought I'd post something brief to address a specific problem about which someone posted on page 1. Specifically, even after putting in the correct Axalto SIM card, the phone would still reset when receiving calls once he did a hot sync. I had exactly the same problem. Here's what's going on. When he synced with the wrong SIM card a backup file was created on his PC's hard drive that contains all of the phone's settings. Even removing the Palm Desktop software using Add/Remove Programs doesn't get rid of the backup file. So, upon doing a hard reset on the phone, reinstalling the Palm Desktop software and doing a hot sync, some corrupted file is sent to the phone that causes it to screw up as it did with the wrong SIM card. The solution is to delete the backup folder before doing the hot sync (it's located in Program Files/Palm One/[a folder that looks like the name of your computer]/backup - my computer is called Living Room and the subfolder was RoomL). This truly allows the phone to start fresh and there should be no more problems (mine has been fine since, including the voicemail issue). Doing the hot sync will cause a new backup folder to be created, but it will only have non-corrupt data from the phone after the SIM card switch was done.

Todd Serota
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Todd,

That sounds like a great idea. I thought my phone was behaving better with the axalto card but the resets were becoming worse and amazon.com was hesitant to send me another phone with so many problems coming to light (if that's the case why isn't palmone acknowleging it?).

Seems stable now but I thought that before at this point. I'll be back to complain if it doesn't take...
    Todd and Larry, thanks for your observations. I got an Axalto 64k card on Tuesday and followed it with the hard reset/Palm desktop reinstall. No resets, freezes, or VM number loss so far.

My phone's resets seemed to occur while switching applications via the hard buttons (Blazer to Phone, Blazer to SMS, etc). It had one reset in the first week, but the VM weirdness and resets were happening with increasing frequency during week 2. If the SIM is corrupting files, those files may be accumulating errors, improving the odds of hitting a bad patch over shorter and shorter times.

This is a very helpful thread. Thanks for starting it, ZBoater!
    I had my treo 650 for a few days and had to replace it due to the usual, Not answering calls/soft reset/incorrect vm #. I exchanged the palm with another and the problems were minamized (1-2 resets per day). I decided to do a hard reset and the problems went away.....for about 6 days. I thought I was in the clear, however, the problems came back after reading these postings a few days ago. I decided to make the swich to the 'A'. It was a great decision. The phone has worked flawlessly ever since. If you have a 'G' and you think it works ok or fine CHANGE IT NOW while there is still a supply because all of the new treos that people are buying are going out the door with the 'A' card and they are already tough to find.
    I found that once I installed (and removed) an old SIM from a French provider, my Treo 650 would be unstable until I completely erased its memory and started from scratch!
    Global Posts
    47 Global Posts
    Well, turns out that switching to the "A" card and erasing the backup data was not the end of my problems. I guess I've just got a bum phone. This has been an awful experience, thanks PalmOne...
    I'm going to try and replace my SIM since I'm having all kinds of trouble with my 550, I mean 650. I know I have a Gemplus SIM, but how do I tell if it's a 32k or 64k card?

All I can say is thank god for the Treo Central community!!!
    The 64k card will that on the back side "64k Smart card" or something to that effect.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Quote Originally Posted by Bertone
    I'm going to try and replace my SIM since I'm having all kinds of trouble with my 550, I mean 650. I know I have a Gemplus SIM, but how do I tell if it's a 32k or 64k card?

All I can say is thank god for the Treo Central community!!!
    If your SIM card came with your 650 then I'm pretty sure it's 64k because I believe all 650 SIM cards are 64k. No need to guess, though, because it's very easy to tell. Just look at the card. It's written right on it. Just make sure you switch it for an A (Axalto) card, do a hard reset and wipe out all backup files on your PC if you're doing a hot sync to transfer Outlook info to the 650.

Todd Serota
    I brought my 650 to 5 Cingular stores and finally found one with a rep who had a clue. We switched to the "A" card and my Treo is doing MUCH better! I've had one reset in 2 days and that was when I tried to open a large Excel file with Docs to Go.

I'm happier now...
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I brought my 650 to 5 Cingular stores and finally found one with a rep who had a clue. We switched to the "A" card and my Treo is doing MUCH better! I've had one reset in 2 days and that was when I tried to open a large Excel file with Docs to Go.

I'm happier now...
    I have a Gemplus "G"-series SIM card, and have experienced the weird voicemail/reset problems mentioned above. It was worse my first few weeks of usage, but has not "acted up" for the last week. Weird.

Anyway, based on user's experiences and suggestions, I called Cingular to get a replacement Axalto "A"-series SIM, and the Tech Support staff was TOTALLY IN DENIAL of the problem. I had to get to a Floor Supervisor, who while agreeing to notate my file to swap out the SIM gratis; maintained that "we do not have or sell any defective SIM's". She was quite snooty about the entire matter also.
    I can't believe it. I may have had 3 bad Treos in a row, the last two with Axalto SIMs. Then again, they all had exactly the same hardware (1.04) and software (1.02) version.

I'm also starting to believe in conspiracy theories about how SIM databases can be corrupted -- it's all I can think of as the cause, if it isn't the fact that the phones themselves were bad.

Treo #2 was shipped with the bad Gemplus SIM. Went to the store and swapped it for the Axalto. Okay, everthing seemed fine. Then I'd have internet connection problems, characterized as 'start surfing, fine for 2 minutes or so, then get connection error messages.' They were mostly software ones (can't resolve URL, page couldn't be downloaded) but they'd end with hardware ones (0x400B, GPRS network not available). So I figured something's corrupted with the phone itself that not even a hard reset would fix. Exchange the phone (so now Treo #3 debuts), keep the Axalto SIM. Same internet problem. Okay, maybe the SIM is corrupted? Get new SIM, hard reset phone before I install new SIM. Eureka. Seems to work. I synchronize, but don't start from scratch. Internet starts screwing up again. Hard reset. Still no go. Have I infected the SIM????

Okay, so tomorrow I will go in (and hope the Cingular store people don't call the cops -- they're really tired of seeing me) and exchange the phone again, start with phone and sim virgins and try again. This time, I've already renamed my Palm application folders and deleted all of the Palm programs on my PC.

This is absolutely ridiculous. These expensive things should have just worked correctly right out of the box.
    Last edited by AngelFCh; 03/14/2005 at 12:00 AM.
    Angel

SprintPCS Sony Zuma/Psion Revo (still miss Revo) >> SprintPCS Kyocera 6035 (1 replacement) >> SprintPCS Treo 300 >> SprintPCS Treo 600 (2 replacements) >> Cingular Treo 650 #1 arrived 2/11/05 ; replaced 3/7, 3/12, and 3/14
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast