Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by lms
    ...After a hard reset everything works mostly perfectly for me (wacked VM number occasionally). But, after my first synch, I get resets if the phone rings when the display is off, and when the display is on, I get resets when the phone rings and I try to answer it or ignore it.

Note that my first synch includes a completely virgin install of the palmOne desktop - no contacts, no appts, no memos, no nothing except for what's on the installation CD. And, I'm on my second phone with identical results.

Are you saying the SIM swap isn't the right thing yet? 'Cause I think at this point it's my only (and last) recourse...
    That doesnt sound good, Larry. The only other thing I can think of is that something is hotsyincing over that is causing the problem. When you say "virgin" install, did you install in the same directory as before? If you did, the backup directory will remain and it will bring back all the old stuff. The only way you know you are truly "virgin" (this conversation just turned weird ) is when you install your Palm desktop software and it doesnt know your hotsync name - the only option you have is to create a new one.

When I did the same thing I reinstalled the palm desktop on the old directory, and when it came time to define my hotsync name, my old name was already there. I thought - cool! WRONG! Then it started to restore all my old stuff. My old directory was \Palm. I renamed that \Palm.old and reinstalled everything from scratch to the \palmOne. This time, when it came time to define my hotsync name, it had no idea who i was and I had to create my name. That time I knew I was truly a "virgin". Install.

If you've already done this, then you may indeed have a bad unit. The phone should not be resetting like that with a clean install and a good SIM. It is entirely possible you have a bad one, at which point an exchange would be in order.

Good luck!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  2. lms
    ZBoater;

Like you, my first hot synch brought down all my old stuff. Since I've been using a palm device since my Pilot 1000, that meant over 8000 calendar entries, Hackmaster hacks, you name it. Needless to say I saw the same grief you did.

So, moved my data directory out of the way, uninstalled the PalmOne desktop and the old palm desktop, deleted all the old files laying around and then did a fresh install of palmOne, and yes it did ask for my name on first hot sync. I'm thinking that's about as virgin as you can get.

I wish I hadn't already swapped the hardware, because then I'd be thinking that it's simply a bad treo. I suppose I could have two bad ones from some mythical "bad batch", but I can't help but think I'm going to see the same thing on the next one.

I think I'll bring my computer into the store and do the initial hot synch right there. If swapping SIMS doesn't work, try another treo. If that doesn't work, hello blackberry <ducking flames....>

Larry
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Anyone in NYC have any luck locating Axalto SIMs? Nobody's answering calls in any store in Manhattan it seems, so I may have to visit these stores in person.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by alee
    Anyone in NYC have any luck locating Axalto SIMs? Nobody's answering calls in any store in Manhattan it seems, so I may have to visit these stores in person.
    150 Fulton St has them. Ask for the SIM card that ends with an A (and show them yours ends with a G). I was out in 2 minutes flat.
    I have a GemPlus (or whatever) SIM ending in a "G". I don't have any VM or reset problems (well, it has reset 3 times in the past week, but the phone is generally useful).

I have wuite a few Applications:

Backupbuddy VFS
    AudioList
    Tetris game pack
    Acrobat reader
    Documents to go
    RealPlayer
    TreoAlarm
    VoiceDial
    ZAP2016

Aloke
    Well guys, just purchased my second T650, returned my other one over 2 weeks ago, before we all knew ther was a sim problem.

Here is my first impression. Purchased the phone, made sure that he had the Axalto 64K sim card and sure enough he did. We did the ususal, took off my old sim card from the system and registered the NEW Axalto sim card and the NEW IMEI # of the Treo. I actually called in from my Nokia 3595 ( w/the Axalto card install in the NOKIA) to verify and accept the verbal contract. Once that was done we inserted the new Axalto sim card into the T650, installed the battery and it booted up and I recieved a text message from Cingualr, from that point on the VM # was automatically placed in and could not change it. Tested the voicemail out several times having friends call the VM and leaving messages. No problem was able to retrieve the messages and no VM resets......so far.

Came home and installled my Palm contacts and other software, this was the first hotsyn and the T650 needed to recognize my profile and I selected it. Installed all the programs , but got an error message at the end of the install and I had to reboot the T650 and hotsyn for a second time. No problems!! went quickly and had all of my software installed. The PDA side of it is solid and no problems.

Turned on the phone and EVERYTHING worked no lockup/resets/VM issues... so far. I have had the phone for over 6 hours and it is working well.

Well have to see how it performs in the 24-48 hour run. I will let everyone know how it is working.

The rep at the Cingular RETAIL store was well informed and was ontop of the T650 issues than the guys at the corporate offices. He had plenty of the Axlato cards and he knew they were "GOLD".

Enough for now..... well get back to you all soon!!!!
    Last edited by CrusinG35; 02/23/2005 at 11:28 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    My wife and I both have the 64k Axalto SIMs in our Cingular T650s (both UNlocked with code from Cingular tech support), and have no voicemail or phone problems (other than poor volume from T650 speaker [known issue compared to T600]). There are still some 'features' on the T650 that are different and not necessarily improvements, but we're doing OK.
    Jposin, I am in the Bay Area as well and since the problem w/the SIM seems to have been figured out, am looking to pick up a new 650 tomorrow. I know that not all Cingular locations have the 64k Axalto SIMs though, so do you mind telling me which store location you got yours from? Also, I am going to be overseas a good bit in the next several months and so it would be useful to have my phone unblocked for use w/local SIMs depending on where I am. How difficult was it to unblock your fone?

Thanks!
    Quote Originally Posted by splurta
    Jposin, I am in the Bay Area as well and since the problem w/the SIM seems to have been figured out, am looking to pick up a new 650 tomorrow. I know that not all Cingular locations have the 64k Axalto SIMs though, so do you mind telling me which store location you got yours from? Also, I am going to be overseas a good bit in the next several months and so it would be useful to have my phone unblocked for use w/local SIMs depending on where I am. How difficult was it to unblock your fone?

Thanks!
    I have used the San Rafael Cingular company store [I think it's on 3rd or 4th] as well as the Walnut Creek/Broadway Plaza company store--better call first and ask them to look at their SIMs to see if there is an A or G at the end of the serial number.

As far as a SIM Subsidy Unlock, please search for other forum threads on the issue (it's been discussed to death...). It was not difficult if you paid full price for your T650 (no subsidy or contract involved). I just called Cingular CSR and asked to be bounced to tech support. They needed to see my original full price PalmOne invoice (I faxed it to them) and needed my name, Cingular cell number and the IMEI from the T650--in a minute I had the 8-digit code. YMMV.
    Global Posts
    274 Global Posts
    I swapped out a Gemplus SIM for an Axalto yesterday. I had not been having severe problems, but I seemed to get a lot of disconnects when making and answering calls. Only a few resets in the 3 weeks I've had the phone. Don't know if it's a placebo effect, but making and answering calls seems to be much more stable and quick now. The exchange was quick and pleasant. The manager of the Cingular store knew about the SIM issue and had squirreled away his Axalto SIMs.

I also spoke with Cingular CS yesterday for a long time again (sigh). I had international roaming added to my phone two weeks ago so I could use it for business I manage in Mexico. Went there last week and made many phone calls. Tried to dial Mexico yesterday and got a message saying I was not authorized to make a call to that number. Turns out I have international roaming but not international DIALING. Meaning calling a foreign country from the US. You can go to a foreign country and make calls within the foreign country or back to the US. But not from the US to a foreign country. This is why Cingular scores so poorly on CS surveys. I have been on the phone with various CS reps for over 5 hours in the last three weeks trying to get my account set up correctly.
    Quote Originally Posted by jposin
    I have used the San Rafael Cingular company store [I think it's on 3rd or 4th] as well as the Walnut Creek/Broadway Plaza company store--better call first and ask them to look at their SIMs to see if there is an A or G at the end of the serial number.

As far as a SIM Subsidy Unlock, please search for other forum threads on the issue (it's been discussed to death...). It was not difficult if you paid full price for your T650 (no subsidy or contract involved). I just called Cingular CSR and asked to be bounced to tech support. They needed to see my original full price PalmOne invoice (I faxed it to them) and needed my name, Cingular cell number and the IMEI from the T650--in a minute I had the 8-digit code. YMMV.
    Thanks for the info. Got details on the unlock as well from a couple other threads.
    150 Fulton St has them. Ask for the SIM card that ends with an A (and show them yours ends with a G). I was out in 2 minutes flat.
    did you have to pay for the sim exchange? I'm 2 blocks away and need to swap out my sim. I already exchanged my 650 once because of these issues.

thanks.
    Global Posts
    805 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by LewisL77
    did you have to pay for the sim exchange? I'm 2 blocks away and need to swap out my sim. I already exchanged my 650 once because of these issues.
    Nope, no charge. I just explained that Cingular support told me to have my SIM exchanged for the "A" version, and she went in back and brought out the Axalto. 2 min to swap the SIM in their computer system and I was on my way. I've always had good service at that store.
    One other thread pointed out that in the Date and Time pref (can get there from world clock too) disable the enable local time button. I have the Gemplus SIM and was resetting and once I disabled Enable local time they stopped. I also started seeing resets whever Versamail polled my gmail POP3 and that had been working fine. I killed Versamail and got Chattermail and all is stable again plus it is push vs pull and love that.

I think I will also change the SIM to eliminate that issue

Love this site though it has helped with all my problems btu slowly but surely my Treo stability is climbing up still a ways to go but much better than when I started three weeks ago.
    Nope, no charge. I just explained that Cingular support told me to have my SIM exchanged for the "A" version, and she went in back and brought out the Axalto. 2 min to swap the SIM in their computer system and I was on my way. I've always had good service at that store.
    Well, just got back from 150 fulton. My experience was the same as yours. I explained to the gentleman that CS told me to swap out the sim. He went into the back, came back with an axalto and did the swap at no charge.
    Thanks alee.

So now I have a new 650 and a new sim. Hopefully my problems will be gone.
    Just had my SIM exchanged at the Winter St. Cingular store in Waltham, MA. As others mentioned in this thread, I was at the store for only two minutes and came out with the 'A' SIM. After making the switch I tried dialing/receiving phone calls before and after I do the first hotsync. Apparently the phone works correctly without the hotsync (no resets) but does resets itself when receiving phone calls after I do a hotsync. I guess it's time to hunt down the offending app.
    If you tell the Cingular reps at the store that the phone tech support folks wanted you to come in and do a 'SIM swap', they should not charge you.
  17. lms
    The Axalto SIM seems to have cured all of the reset and lock problems that I used to be able to duplicate pretty easily on an essentially empty phone. Now I'll start loading data and apps. Fingers crossed....
  18.    #38  
    I am soooooo jealous of you Axalto folks.....

Cingular Treo 650
  19. lms
    ZBoater - can't you get one? The cing store I went to knew all about it, and just got a whole stack of the Axaltos. They were lementing about all of the treos they took back due to the Gemplus cards that were almost certainly non-defective. Maybe we the Cing site will have some very slightly used 650's for sale soon.

Larry
  20.    #40  
    Here in Tampa all i know is ex-AT&T stores that became Cingular, and the one I went to was clueless. I am going to another tomorrow, but I am not hopeful. Tampa was not a big Cingular town, so most stores just have the new stuff (Gemplus). Another option it to get Cingular to send me one - the tech lady said she would if I wanted, but that it would be faster if I went to a store. At this point, all I want is to get my hands on an Axalto SIM. My wife's phone is just going nutso...
    Cingular Treo 650
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast