Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Is there a simple application that, when executed, will Lock and Turn Off a Treo 650?

If not, can someone give me a pointer to freeware Palm development environments?

Thanks.
    What about the built-in security app? It's got a nice big lock & turn off button.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Tealscript does this - it lets you define a long stroke from the bottom of the screen to the top of the screen as "lock and off". Just tried it and it works even though the Treo does not have a silk screen area.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    The problem I've had with all these locking applications is that they don't suppress screens from other applications to show.. For instance if I lock with Teal Lock or mSafe or something like that and I get a message from Verichat - the message still shows on my locked Treo.. I would like a locking application that would truly LOCK it and not show any screens until it is unlocked
    OMG, you are right!!! I locked it using the built in palmOne lock feature, sent myself an SMS, and BANG!! There is it on the screen for everyone to read, clear as day. That makes NO sense.

You learn something new every day. Thanks Tiffany!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    OMG, you are right!!! I locked it using the built in palmOne lock feature, sent myself an SMS, and BANG!! There is it on the screen for everyone to read, clear as day. That makes NO sense.

You learn something new every day. Thanks Tiffany!

as far as sms's are concerned, you can "hide text" in the prefs. it will alert you to a new sms on the screen, but will not show the actual message.

and like tiffany, i do wish there was an app that would truly lock the phone. if there's a missed call i'd like it to say there was a missed call, but not who from.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    I just tried TealLock (www.tealpoint.com) and it didnt "truly" lock the phone, as status messages came through. The search continues...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Zboater, let us know if you find one that works - I think I've tried three of four (can only remember TealLock and mSafe and they failed as I mentioned)
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    What about the built-in security app? It's got a nice big lock & turn off button.
    Too many steps.... I'd like one button access.

zLauncher has a toolbar button for it, but again, too many steps...

Thanks
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    Can the Treo's built-in security app be set to automatically lock the Treo 650 if it is reset? As far as I can tell, although the Treo 650's security application can lock the 650 after a pre-set interval, it can't automatically lock the Treo if it's reset.
    Launcher X has that feature on it's Gadget Bar settings. One tap on the icon and your phone is locked and off. Don't know what happens when you receive an SMS, but I can try it and let you know if interested.
    Thanks,

np
    Well, OK. But it only takes two steps, assign the security app to a button. Press button and then the lock button is highlighted by default so you only have to press the center button. Two presses total.

Don't know of anything that is going to do it faster, sorry.

Quote Originally Posted by fiftyrocks
    Too many steps.... I'd like one button access.

zLauncher has a toolbar button for it, but again, too many steps...

Thanks
    I think you are right, I don't see a way to have it run after a reset.

Quote Originally Posted by badler
    Can the Treo's built-in security app be set to automatically lock the Treo 650 if it is reset? As far as I can tell, although the Treo 650's security application can lock the 650 after a pre-set interval, it can't automatically lock the Treo if it's reset.
  14.    #14  
    Well, OK. But it only takes two steps, assign the security app to a button. Press button and then the lock button is highlighted by default so you only have to press the center button. Two presses total.

Don't know of anything that is going to do it faster, sorry.
    it's three on my Treo, because there's a confirmation screen after you press the center button. No big deal, just looking for the quickest way to turn off and lock while I'm doing something else.

Thanks!
    I think you are right, I don't see a way to have it run after a reset.
    actually if the phone is already "locked" and then soft reset, it will still be "locked" upon reset. however, i'm assuming after a hard reset that would not be the case ... but then again, all that info that was being protected would be lost anyways.
    Last edited by ivyrose; 02/23/2005 at 12:03 PM.
    Truth is good, knowledge is power and it's the second mouse who gets the cheese
    one more thing, the built in security app *does not* lock the device after preset time, it simply does not work. Try it, set you device to lock at preset time that is more than two hours away from the time you set and see for your self.
    Treoing & Loving it
    The built-in app does lock the device after a preset period of "inactivity", but the definition of inactivity is interesting. If you have any ongoing communication in the background, like email fetching with VersaMail or Chatter), the app might never be considered inactive enough to get locked. If you disable all such programs (not a real solution) the device will lock.

It seems to me that the built-in security app didn't change much in many years and should be modified to work on smartphones which have data connections. I used to use TealLock with my 600 because it didn't have this problem. I seem to remember that TealLock had some setting(s) that could help with popups also. What I don't remember is why I stopped using it; it had another problem that annoyed me and led me to stop using it after a few months However, it wasn't the lack of locking if I remember correctly.
    OK, I just installed my registered beta version (5.37) of TealLock on my 650 and I'll report back what I find as I use it again (I was using the built-in app to lock manually).

If you have any doubt doubt about the need for locking your device, you may want to read this story.
    I am thinking of registering mSafe. It is one cool little program. It basically uses the built in lock of the palmOS, but with a twist - you send yourself an SMS from anywhere with the line "mSafe lock yourpassword" and it locks your Treo remotely! You can also send the line "mSafe wipe otherpassword" and it will wipe the contents of your Treo!!! If you lose your Treo or someone steals it, send it an SMS and voila! It even has settings to wipe the SD card. Its like $8 or something. Very nifty.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    326 Global Posts
    I thought I'd mention that there's another Treo locking program that's supposed to be coming: DeviceGuard. I don't know anything else about this program, besides what is on the developer's website: http://www.mantragroup.com/devguard.htm
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast