1.    #1  
    hi again all... ok, i am on my first trip carting the 650 along as my supposed lifeline to data, and must say that honestly i am *very* dissapointed so far. i have been in both LA and Vegas for about one week now, and have been using Shadowmites BT DUN patch on my Cingular-branded 650... here is what i have experienced so far:

1. very slow connection speeds across the board compared to what i was getting in Houston during my few short tests (dslreports, etc.) before leaving for my trip... best speed i have achieved this entire week has been around 50kb/s, but most of the time it has been much slower, slower than my previous Tmobile GPRS data connections, sub-20kb/s, and downward.

2. *CONSTANT DISCONNECTS*..! i've already been disconnected 3 times in the space of writing this much of my post! after each disconnect failure, i have to soft-reset the 650 to get BT DUN working again, and wait for the phone to go through the whole process of loading, turn phone on, reset DUN setting, and then reconnect... it is almost unusable, or at least very frustrating when trying to get work done! heh, just disconnected again, i got two sentances farther... time to soft-reset.

am i just being unlucky in the two cities i've visited so far? the constant disconnects are just unbearable, and i've almost given up trying to use the 650 as the EDGE-connected data lifeline that i expected it to be...

i've found that the bundled Blazer browser is not sufficient for many of my surfing needs, as it does not work w/ a lot of form-driven sites that i must visit, so i am forced to carry both my laptop and 650 at most all times. maybe an update to Blazer or an alternate browser could help in this regard... (another disconnect, soft-reset)... i just don't know.

i am using Cingulars' "unlimited data plan $39.95 monthly", not the MediaWorks plans, and expected *much* more from an EDGE network connection so far, to be honest my Tmobile GPRS connection was much more stable and usable, as anemic as it was. totally dissapointed and frustrated w/ resets and slow speeds, am i alone here? i have been disconnected and had to soft-reset *7* times during writing this post, thoroughly frustrated..!

I can speak from a teeny bit of experience, and extend it to New Orleans. When I used verizon, I could call from Nola and Vegas just fine. However, when anyone tried to call ME, they were always routed to voice mail. Bad routing of roaming calls. I switched to Sprint, and had NO problems in Galveston, New Orleans, or Vegas. One of my associates had a cingular phone in Vegas, and had very spotty reception last year when we were there. Note, this ALL was voice, not data. Sounds to me like Cingular may just not be "solid" in the Vegas area yet. I would think Houston would be pretty solid.
  3.    #3  
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    I can speak from a teeny bit of experience, and extend it to New Orleans. When I used verizon, I could call from Nola and Vegas just fine. However, when anyone tried to call ME, they were always routed to voice mail. Bad routing of roaming calls. I switched to Sprint, and had NO problems in Galveston, New Orleans, or Vegas. One of my associates had a cingular phone in Vegas, and had very spotty reception last year when we were there. Note, this ALL was voice, not data. Sounds to me like Cingular may just not be "solid" in the Vegas area yet. I would think Houston would be pretty solid.
    i would hope it was solely locale based, but my experience in LA earlier this week was near identical, maybe a little better but not by much... the longest continuous DUN connection i have had is 21 minutes, and that was only one time... often i am disconnected after less than 5 minutes and have to soft-reset the phone to attempt to reconnect again..
    Could these problems be patch-related?
    Instead of patches and using the phone with something Cingular didn't want to support, can't you just use PDANet with your USB sync cable instead of DUN ?? I also have a T650 (unlocked GSM) and do not use DUN. I have been a long time PDANet user (with T-Mobile) on both my old T600 and now the T650. Love the program and would highly recommend it.
    Thanks,

np
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp
    Instead of patches and using the phone with something Cingular didn't want to support, can't you just use PDANet with your USB sync cable instead of DUN ?? I also have a T650 (unlocked GSM) and do not use DUN. I have been a long time PDANet user (with T-Mobile) on both my old T600 and now the T650. Love the program and would highly recommend it.
    i wish i could go that route, but there is currently no Macintosh/OSX version of PDAnet..
    Exactly shino, us mac users DO have that problem. (hint.....find a free wifi connection or stay at a hotel with free wifi service)

I haven't even tried to use the treo with Dun yet, so don't even know how I will approach that. I just have never had the need. I only usually use email, or Avantgo, or Vindigo when I am out and about. And when I need to get any serious work done, just find a wifi connection for my laptop.
    Folks,

These results make that $15 unlimited Sprint plan look better and better. I use PDANet/Treo 600/USB Charging Cable all over the country and usually get 80K connections speeds. It's not WIFI, but it works OK for e-mail, VPN, web travel reservations, etc.

Before that I paid Verizon $80 for the same CDMA option on the Kyocera 7135, but the connection speeds were never as consistent as with Sprint.

Glenn
  9.    #9  
    Quote Originally Posted by Glenn_Butler
    Folks,

These results make that $15 unlimited Sprint plan look better and better. I use PDANet/Treo 600/USB Charging Cable all over the country and usually get 80K connections speeds. It's not WIFI, but it works OK for e-mail, VPN, web travel reservations, etc.

Before that I paid Verizon $80 for the same CDMA option on the Kyocera 7135, but the connection speeds were never as consistent as with Sprint.

Glenn
    i'd be more than happy to get that kind of connection for the $40 a month i'm paying now... 80kb/s and no constant dropping would be quite an improvement..!
    i'd def recomend sprint. personally i have had great coverage with them and you really can't beat their data plan. i use pdanet with my treo about once a week and i have never had any problems.
    Your issues don't exactly sound 650 related...the disconnect issues ( I would assume ) are related to the buggy patch, and the slow EDGE speeds...well, just doesn't sound 650 related.

I consistently get 80-100kb/s via my 650.
    1 | 2
    Sorry for your inability to rely on your setup. Sounds like DUN hack and EDGE related, not really a Treo issue (would be nice if the title didn't sound like it was). Wish you could use PdaNet. Also, I wouldn't judge EDGE speed based on the BT connection alone, since that could have its problems. What kind of speeds are you getting just on the phone itself using Blazer?
    There is WirelessModem from Scott Gruby at www.notifymail.com. SOme folks have had success on a T650 in tethered mode.
    I've had luck with my new Sprint Treo 650 and Powerbook running Mac OS 10.2.8 with the Shadowmite DUN patch...it seems to stay connected as long as I need to here around So Cal. The speeds I get based on DSL Reports tests are around 80-90kb/s.

-Justin
    Glenn, Yup, the sprint Data connection does seem to work well. But....if you are on a mac, and a Sprint treo, ya HAVE to use the patch to enable dun. We don't have the option at the present time of using PDAnet. They don't currently make a mac version. I used sprint and my laptop, and the cable to connect on my treo 600, and it worked quite well. Thing is, I never used it. Only connected a few times to get it working, then just never had the need.
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    BT DUN on the treo650 is crippled and buggy. You'll get half the speeds than using the treo itself plus having to deal with the horrible implementation of DUN on this device.
    Coming from many other phones with bluetooth were DUN just works out of the box, the treo 650 is a pain in the ***.
    You have to turn on DUN explicitely but when you go to do it, some strange error will pop up because it couldnt open the communication library because some other program inside the treo is using the connection. Then you have to go and disconnect manually your GPRS connection and THEN you can turn on DUN. And the error is something like "Error 0x7192 on whatever"
    Also if the screen is off I havent been to been able to establish a DUN connection. I had to unlock the device and then it would happen.

If you are thinking of using the GSM Treo 650 for DUN forget about it. Just get a GC82 card.

Quote Originally Posted by shinoSetsuna
    hi again all... ok, i am on my first trip carting the 650 along as my supposed lifeline to data, and must say that honestly i am *very* dissapointed so far. i have been in both LA and Vegas for about one week now, and have been using Shadowmites BT DUN patch on my Cingular-branded 650... here is what i have experienced so far:

1. very slow connection speeds across the board compared to what i was getting in Houston during my few short tests (dslreports, etc.) before leaving for my trip... best speed i have achieved this entire week has been around 50kb/s, but most of the time it has been much slower, slower than my previous Tmobile GPRS data connections, sub-20kb/s, and downward.

2. *CONSTANT DISCONNECTS*..! i've already been disconnected 3 times in the space of writing this much of my post! after each disconnect failure, i have to soft-reset the 650 to get BT DUN working again, and wait for the phone to go through the whole process of loading, turn phone on, reset DUN setting, and then reconnect... it is almost unusable, or at least very frustrating when trying to get work done! heh, just disconnected again, i got two sentances farther... time to soft-reset.

am i just being unlucky in the two cities i've visited so far? the constant disconnects are just unbearable, and i've almost given up trying to use the 650 as the EDGE-connected data lifeline that i expected it to be...

i've found that the bundled Blazer browser is not sufficient for many of my surfing needs, as it does not work w/ a lot of form-driven sites that i must visit, so i am forced to carry both my laptop and 650 at most all times. maybe an update to Blazer or an alternate browser could help in this regard... (another disconnect, soft-reset)... i just don't know.

i am using Cingulars' "unlimited data plan $39.95 monthly", not the MediaWorks plans, and expected *much* more from an EDGE network connection so far, to be honest my Tmobile GPRS connection was much more stable and usable, as anemic as it was. totally dissapointed and frustrated w/ resets and slow speeds, am i alone here? i have been disconnected and had to soft-reset *7* times during writing this post, thoroughly frustrated..!

A while back, maybe a year ago or so, I made a definitive decision to simplify. Being a user of Unix in its various forms, XP, NT, 2000, etc, as well as mac, I took my one big hoss PC offline, to use only for offline utility work. My pc laptop was ready for the recycler, so I purchased a simple 12 inch Ibook. I use my BigMac on my desk for all my work online etc. I just don't use devices or software anymore that MAKES me use a pc. No need. Even for business, the rare occasion I need a pc, with it online, I just use VPC. this works for me, I'm sure not for everyone. Anyway, I decided a long time ago if I needed a phone with bluetooth, I was gonna make DAMN sure it worked flawlessly with a mac before I bought it. When my company told me I needed a phone on either Cingular or ATT, I bought a SonyEricson that interfaces with bluetooth just fine. When I got the Treo 600 for myself, I didn't really care, cause bluetooth was not an issue. My plan now is to just sit back until a few issues on the 650 are completely solved. Mainly, bluetooth Dun totally fixed on sprint, and the voice problem admitted, and resolved. Yep, I want a 650 BAD, but as long as the 600 is working fine, I'll just wait. Guess I am lazy and spoiled. Its crazy we have to hack a phone to make it work right. And if I was a PC user, I would use PDAnet instead of the Dun at present. Who do we blame here, Palm one for being so short sighted, then admitting they will fix it (months and months ago), or PDAnet for being short sighted and not supporting Mac laptops? Guess we will have to wait for Sprint to fix Dun. They insisted they were going to, whenever.
    Folks,

Another Sprint/Treo 600/USB/PDANet Charging cable story...

Today I took a flight into New Orleans and a co-worker drove up to Hattisburg MS (two hours). I kept a VPN connection with Sprint the entire time, was sending and receiving exchange e-mails from outlook, and we got tons of work done.

I can say that Sprint is not this good around Boston where I live -- too many hills and a few dropout zones. But I kept the VPN the entie time, and my treo charged off of the battery. Total productivity...

(Once in the hotel, they had Wifi, so that was a lot faster... :-))

I am looking forward to the 650 -- when all those bugs are worked out. I've had the 600 since Sprint introduced it with that unlimited data plan, and I LOVE IT!!

I also think that once Edge is working and those 950 towers are converted over to GSM, Cingular will be the best option -- but for now you can't beat Sprint.

Glenn
  19. gcs
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    And if I was a PC user, I would use PDAnet instead of the Dun at present.
    Hi,

You don't need PDANet, there's an application called WirelessModem:
    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/
    That does the same thing as PDAnet...

Hope this helps
    George
    Quote Originally Posted by gcs
    Hi,

You don't need PDANet, there's an application called WirelessModem:
    http://www.notifymail.com/palm/wmodem/
    That does the same thing as PDAnet...

Hope this helps
    George
    jposin mentioned as such about 6 posts above yours.

Beware. WirelessModem on the 650 is a a lot less stable (at least to me) than with the 600.