1.    #1  
    Hi,

I was always under the impression that my GSM Treo 650 would go to voicemail if someone called when I was online. But yesterday I was surfing the Web (TC, wouldn't you know it!) at a cafe, and my wife called. Guess what? The 650 went to the phone app, I spoke with my wife, hung up, all with the GPRS green arrows showing. It was not disconnected from GPRS, and I could use the phone! Since Palm OS is not multi-tasking, Blazer had to redraw the Web page, but I was still connected to the Web!

I understand this can only happen on GSM, but man was I stoked! I like this thing more and more and more each day...
    You were probably at a point where no data was actually being transferred, which allowed the call to go through. On GSM 650s, the arrows are always green regardless of whether data is being transferred or not.
    Palm III > HS Visor > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 750 > Treo Pro > PrePlus GSM

"95% of all software issues are due to USER ERROR."
  3.    #3  
    In my own limited way, I had thought once I'm online (whether data actually being transferred or not) viewing a Web page, I would not be able to access calls. I'm glad I was wrong! Thanks for the info!
    wow, there must at least a half dozen RECENT threads discussing this issue ad nauseum.
    Last edited by illustreous; 02/22/2005 at 10:13 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks illustreous,
    I guess I should have kept my enthusiasm to myself. Which I will now.
    Global Posts
    341 Global Posts
    cadavi, post on bro! some are just riffled cause their Sh*t is all hacked up or in reset land, glad to here you can surf and talk
    mt
    Cadavi, as has been mentioned before, as long as the data is not actively transferring, on either platform gsm or cdma, your call will go through. Its normal to be at a webpage, scanning and reading the page, then getting a call come through. What can not happen, on either platform (so I am told by those wiser than me) is if you are actively downloading a webpage, then no calls can come through.
    My experience with previous GSM phones matched rkevwill's assessment. Haven't tried w/the 650 yet.
    To test, I just called my Treo 650 (GSM) while a page was loading and the call came in fine.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Cadavi, as has been mentioned before, as long as the data is not actively transferring, on either platform gsm or cdma, your call will go through. Its normal to be at a webpage, scanning and reading the page, then getting a call come through. What can not happen, on either platform (so I am told by those wiser than me) is if you are actively downloading a webpage, then no calls can come through.
    Does it go straight to voicemail or will the come through after the page is loaded?
    I thought that the ability to accept calls while a page is being downloaded is only available on the GSM and not the CDMA version. My friend's CDMA T650 sends calls directly to voice mail when a page is being downloaded. On the other hand, my phone still rings even when a page is downloading. Can anyone verify this?
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
  12.    #12  
    I don't have any experience with CDMA, but I also thought I read somewhere that this was only available GSM versions.

I tested this multiple times today. Loaded a busy page on Blazer that took more than a minute to display, started refreshing the page while calling my Treo. The Treo does NOT ring out loud, though the caller will hear a few rings. After that it goes into Voicemail, which you can retrieve whenever you want.
    Last edited by cadavi; 02/22/2005 at 08:13 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cadavi
    I don't have any experience with CDMA, but I also thought I read somewhere that this was only available GSM versions.

I tested this multiple times today. Loaded a busy page on Blazer that took more than a minute to display, started refreshing the page while calling my Treo. The Treo does NOT ring out loud, though the caller will hear a few rings. After that it goes into Voicemail, which you can retrieve whenever you want.
    Guess I'm lucky then. I have tested it numerous times and my Treo rings out loud when loading a web page or transferring data.
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts

I'm confused... So it sounds like what you just tested contradicts your original post, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by Minsc
    I'm confused... So it sounds like what you just tested contradicts your original post, correct?
    I thought the same thing. Getting late here so I figured I was just reading him wrong.
  16.    #16  
    No I'm not contradicting myself, I was wrong about what I thought being "online" was -I thought no calls can come thru when a Web page was loaded on Blazer, and that I would have to be "offline", or disconnected from GPRS, to receive calls.

I was corrected by scottymomo, rkevwill, and others about my definition of "online" - that is, if no data was actually being transferred at the point when you receive the call, it will go through. What can not happen, on either platform (so I am told by those wiser than me) is if you are actively downloading a webpage, then no calls can come through. The rudimentary tests I did for myself prove exactly this. I'm wiser now, hopefully :-) !
    Global Posts
    974 Global Posts
    No I'm not contradicting myself, I was wrong about what I thought being "online" was -I thought no calls can come thru when a Web page was loaded on Blazer, and that I would have to be "offline", or disconnected from GPRS, to receive calls.

I was corrected by scottymomo, rkevwill, and others about my definition of "online" - that is, if no data was actually being transferred at the point when you receive the call, it will go through. What can not happen, on either platform (so I am told by those wiser than me) is if you are actively downloading a webpage, then no calls can come through. The rudimentary tests I did for myself prove exactly this. I'm wiser now, hopefully :-) !
    Ok, gotcha - thanks. Interestingly, there are a number of GSM Treo600 users who claim that calls DO come through even while actively transferring data - such as loading a web page. Since there tends to be a fair amount of confusion surrounding this topic, it's hard to know if the GSM 600 actually allows this, or if it's simply user error/misperception.
    Minsc, its an "Urban Myth" that apparently gung ho GSM advocates like to spread. (I am a GSM user as well as a sprint user btw, cause one unit is paid for by my company, and the other is OURS) Let them continue to dream and sprout their myths. If data is ACTIVELY being transferred, no call is going to come through on either. It just doesn't happen! What does appear to happen, is GSM seems to release the data a bit quicker (and I mean seconds or less) faster than cdma. So, when a page is loaded, and you are viewing a loaded page, you very well may be able to get a call a hair sooner on GSM than on CDMA. NOTE, I am CERTAINLY no expert, and am simply stating what folks here have told me on the forums and private, that know one HELL of a lot more about this stuff than I do.

I guess I am to the point now, when someone continues to state they get calls when data is actively downloading, I am just gonna shake my head and think to myself "consider the source."

And btw, I don't doubt that this feature will be available in some way in the not too distant future. So many advances are being made, who knows what will come up.
    I notice sometimes that eventhough it loading a page persay, the data has not actually not started transfering and that the arrow is still gray and a call will come through. Remember, he actual data has to be transmitting.

IGO
    GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP.....GIVE DEBBIE THE CHIMP!!!
    Folks,

The way this works is this:

1) On CDMA the radio either does data or voice. If there is no data being transferred, the CDMA modem stays active for 5-10 seconds the modem shuts off but a "dormant" IP connection is kept between the towers and the phone. Either side can enable the modem again.

2) On GSM handsets thoretically it can do both almost simultaneously. As soon as no data is being sent, (1/2 second) the phone can respond. I beleive the GSM protocol can handle both, but I don't think the Treo implements this. So the GSM Treo is probably better in this area.

It looks from what people are posting that the data throughput is still better with the CDMA Treo's. If that connection hasn't tied out, the call goes right to voicemail. The GSM one may continue to ring in hopes that the data xfer stops.

Glenn