1.    #1  
    (sorry if this thread sounds obvious or stupid or both)

This one just hit me this morning!

Sure, we have programs like Back-up Buddy, Back-up Man and MDM's Secure File PDA Back-up Card, which backs up the INTERNAL Treo memory, but how would we back up additional off-line Treo data (like our Word and music files) that we commonly store on our handy-dandy SD/MMC cards? (Short of having to make 2 separate SD cards every time we save/add a file.)

The reason I bring it up...The MDM card can always be stored in a safe place to back-up our internal Treo files and data in case of an emergency, etc. But if we commonly have our other SD cards in our Treo all the time (i.e. 24/7) and accidentally LOSE THE CARD (hey, it could happen), it seems we would be SOL!

The other reason: I'm trying to migrate away from my laptop and gradually use my Treo 600 (and future Treos...hint hint see below) as my computer of choice. (Normally, we would store our Treo files/data on our desktop/laptop.)

Possible Solution: As smartphones grow more complex, bring on the next-gen Treo with a flash drive (a la the Tungsten T5!) Bring it on, baby!

Post your thoughts on the matter here!

###
    I'm not sure what you're getting at when you say "bring on a flash drive." That's what an SD card is. How does having another memory store on the device help you? If you lose the device, you lose the flash drive, too.

BackupBuddy will back up your SD card during a hotsync, if you select the option to do so. But be prepared for it to take a while. Or you can take the SD card out of your Treo and use a card reader to copy it to another device. Or, Sandisk will soon be releasing an SD card with a built in USB connector, so you won't even need a card reader.

Ultimately, backing up means copying the data to a physically separate device and keeping that backup in a separate location. Carrying the backup of your SD (or RAM) around with you is little better than having no backup at all in the event of loss or theft. I do back up my Treo to an SD card, but I view that as a stop gap. I don't have a real backup until everything's backed up on my PC.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/22/2005 at 08:19 AM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by KevMeister
    (sorry if this thread sounds obvious or stupid or both)

This one just hit me this morning!

Sure, we have programs like Back-up Buddy, Back-up Man and MDM's Secure File PDA Back-up Card, which backs up the INTERNAL Treo memory, but how would we back up additional off-line Treo data (like our Word and music files) that we commonly store on our handy-dandy SD/MMC cards? (Short of having to make 2 separate SD cards every time we save/add a file.)

The reason I bring it up...The MDM card can always be stored in a safe place to back-up our internal Treo files and data in case of an emergency, etc. But if we commonly have our other SD cards in our Treo all the time (i.e. 24/7) and accidentally LOSE THE CARD (hey, it could happen), it seems we would be SOL!

The other reason: I'm trying to migrate away from my laptop and gradually use my Treo 600 (and future Treos...hint hint see below) as my computer of choice. (Normally, we would store our Treo files/data on our desktop/laptop.)

Possible Solution: As smartphones grow more complex, bring on the next-gen Treo with a flash drive (a la the Tungsten T5!) Bring it on, baby!

Post your thoughts on the matter here!

###

Try Bluesquirrel Bluesync. It will do exactly what you want:

http://www.bluesquirrel.com/products/bluesync/

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions