1.    #1  
    I have several files on my Visor that I have no idea what they are or where they came from. I only see them when I "delete" files through the launcher. I really don't want to delete them for fear of messing up a program I need.

Any suggestions how I might find out? I know I can sync the Visor to backup all my files, then delete them and restore them if I need to, but I'd rather not go through all that if there's a way to investigate what the various files are for.

I'll provide some names of files if that would help.

------------------
    Eric Miller
    Most likely, they are data files or libraries that go with or supplement the applications on your Visor. Deleting them would not be appropriate and might just cause problems. I'd leave them alone... if you want to post some names, maybe we can tell you what they're for...

------------------
    MarkEagle - Ice is nice!
  3. mc9
    I agree with MarkEagle - if you are not 100% sure what the file is there for, leave it alone. In the first week I had my Visor, I found an odd file named 'libmal', I thought I might not need it (I installed and deleted a lot of Apps during that time). Surprise! The next time AvantGo didn't work anymore...
    But what you could try is install Z'Catalog (can be found at palmgear.com). This utility shows all the files on your Visor and the creator id. Sometimes you can figure out by looking at the creator id whether the files belongs to some software you are still using or not. But before deleting anything, backup first!

You have been warned

Good luck,

mc9

[This message has been edited by mc9 (edited 07-30-2000).]
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the info. "libmal" was one of the files in question. Here are some others:

"No Bones About it..." 87k, 18 records, v.0
    "Sat.Forms SE RDK" 80k, N/A records, v3.1

There's a few more, but they are under 10k in size.

------------------
    Eric Miller
    "No bones about it" is a kyle's quest installment (plus probably some saved or continuation "bookmarks" for the game). If you deleted KQ then you don't need it any more.

------------------
    Built for comfort, not for speed...
    I also have some files that I can see listed in Filemover that I would like to delete to reclaim the memory. Does anyone know what App these might be associated with? My best guess is that they all may have come from a trial version of sattellite forms that I think I briefly installed many months ago and then deleted.

"SMSF" Files:
    AMS_InputBox 8k
    AMS_TimePick 8k
    SFE_PacketUtils 5k
    SFE_SFDateBook 12k
    SFE_Slider 8k
    SFE_Strings 19k
    SFE_Tabs 10k

"SMSR" Files:
    Sat.Forms SE RD.. 89k
    SF-SE_SysHeap 1k

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I am desperate for memory and this is 160k worth of wasted space.

Thanks.