1.    #1  
    Folks,

I've been following the posts here for the last couple of weeks, trying to be ready for my new Treo. It seems that some folks truly have lemons, and if they're lucky getting a new one will be better. Other people have reset issues, but find that an app or something else is to blame. I'm trying to figure out which category I fall into.

Since I bought my Treo 650 last week (Cingular store, locked), I decided to take it slow and be patient. I used it out of the box for a few days, not synching it with the computer and not loading any additional software. It was rock solid, not a single problem.

I then synched it with my PC, setup XPressMail, and continued using it. It continued to be solid.

Finally this morning I loaded:
    - Uninstall Manager
    - dbscan
    - Cleanup

I then installed:
    - Chatter eMail
    - Launcher X

I thought this was a cautious start. Unfortunately the Treo starting resetting randomly while using various apps. It ALWAYS reset when I hit 'Answer' to an incoming call. dbscan turned up nothing. Hitting #*377 gave me "Fatal Errors" with everything from Chatter, Applications, Phone, XPress Mail, etc. There was no pattern.

I used Uninstall Manager to remove Chatter and Launcher X. The resetting continued. I then remove the Uninstall Manager, dbscan, and Cleanup. I also deleted my XPressMail setup/config.

For all intents and purposes, I was back to factory condition. Except that the Treo continued to reset at EVERY incoming call. And now there was nothing more to delete/remove.

I performed a hard reset, erasing all data. Suddenly the phone was working again.

So my big question... is there something that I should be aware of or try, or should I return this lemon for a replacement?

*sigh* I soooooooo badly want this thing to work out!
    Be patient - it will work . You are going down the right path. Uninstall Manager is a good move. You have the latest version, right (2.7)? Also, what version of Chatter are you using? The latest "stable" version is 1.02.

The one thing I would add to your mix is BackupBuddyVFS Pro 3.07 and a fast SD card. That way you can do multiple backups (checkpoints) after every couple of installs, and if you have to hard reset you can be back to the place you were in under a minute flat. Make sure you have the latest version of every app you use, and make sure you have a good backup before you install launchers and email clients.

Also, bear in mind their is a bit of a compatibility issue between the Cingular 64K smartchip SIM and the Treo. They're working on it, but it causes some of the symptoms you describe. I have been very stable with my config - click on the link on my sig to see all the software I am running. I have had a couple of instances where the phone wigged out, but it was mostly me messing with beta software (Chatter) and me overclocking the CPU (PXAClocker). Foolish. Fun but foolish.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I have a theory that anything that attempts to circumvent normal operation of the operating system is a potential problem, while an application that uses only high- level system calls will be little or no problem. So, alternate launchers may be an issue, while email clients may not.

So, try the apps that don't mess with anything and leave the launcher and uninstaller completely off, and see what happens. It seems most of the people with alternate launchers have the most problem, from what I'm reading, but there's too much variation to say for sure.

Tom
  4.    #4  
    Thanks guys, I'll play around a bit more. Is the free 128MB SDCard from Palm a "fast" SD Card? I'll give that BackupBuddy a try.

On a side note, has anyone experienced the following? I'm wondering if it's related at all:

1. When I first got the Treo and setup my voicemail, incoming calls would get the message "The wireless caller you are trying to reach is unavailable" instead of VM. I called Cingular, and they fixed it, until today when it started doing that again. I haven't seen any posts around here regarding that, is this a know issue?

2. When I do a hard reset, usually within an hour I'll get a text message that is nothing but gobly gook. It's weird. Is this some kind of network push that is coming in corrupted perhaps?
    Quote Originally Posted by jszobody
    Thanks guys, I'll play around a bit more. Is the free 128MB SDCard from Palm a "fast" SD Card? I'll give that BackupBuddy a try.
    No, its not. You need something like a Sandisk Ultra II. Or, if you subscribe to the Tim "The Toolman" Taylor's school of purchasing, a Sandisk Extreme III. Argghhh arghhh arghhhh

1. When I first got the Treo and setup my voicemail, incoming calls would get the message "The wireless caller you are trying to reach is unavailable" instead of VM. I called Cingular, and they fixed it, until today when it started doing that again. I haven't seen any posts around here regarding that, is this a know issue?
    Yes, Cingular is having issues with voicemail setup and the Treo 650. Call them back and tell them to do it again. I had to do it THREE TIMES until I got someone on the other end of the line who knew what they were doing and got it right.

2. When I do a hard reset, usually within an hour I'll get a text message that is nothing but gobly gook. It's weird. Is this some kind of network push that is coming in corrupted perhaps?
    Yup, it sounds that way. Cingular is having issues with their 64K sims and the Treo650. If you have some spare time, stop by a Cingular store and have them swap out your SIM. It may help, or you may waste a good hour of your day. ADVENTURE!!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    THIS is a lemon!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  7.    #7  
    No, THOSE are two and a half lemons. :-)
  8.    #8  
    Arg, my Treo just reset. After it came back I hit #*377, and got this message.

Does this confirm my suspicions?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    LOL...throw out a joke and at leaset one person ducks.
    Arg, my Treo just reset. After it came back I hit #*377, and got this message.

Does this confirm my suspicions?
    Good one!
    ok, let me share my experience that I encountered today. I have an unlocked Treo 650 purchased from Palm and today I went and I bought a Cingular 650 from the Corporate Store. To my surprise, I discovered that: the sound on the Cingular 650 is way way louder than the unlocked version, and it seems to perfom better. This is really strange cause reading all these forums, I came to the conclusion that the unlocked version has less bugs and performs better. Btw, the Cingular phone looks pretty cool with the blue around the screen.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    ok, let me share my experience that I encountered today. I have an unlocked Treo 650 purchased from Palm and today I went and I bought a Cingular 650 from the Corporate Store. To my surprise, I discovered that: the sound on the Cingular 650 is way way louder than the unlocked version, and it seems to perfom better. This is really strange cause reading all these forums, I came to the conclusion that the unlocked version has less bugs and performs better. Btw, the Cingular phone looks pretty cool with the blue around the screen.
    well, i've bombarded my unlocked treo 650 with tons of apps today, no reset whatsoever, doing good
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
  13.    #13  
    Well, another hard reset, confirmed that the phone works, install nothing but Chatter, and now it resets again with every incoming call. I know I could post in the Chatter forum, but since the latest version is rock solid for so many other 650 users I can only think that it's my Treo.

Well, another hard reset, confirmed that the phone works, install nothing but Chatter, and now it resets again with every incoming call. I know I could post in the Chatter forum, but since the latest version is rock solid for so many other 650 users I can only think that it's my Treo.

No, it's not just you, I've been experiencing similar issues.

I'd reccommend participating in the Chatter forums, enabling logging, and submitting bug reports to the author. He seems rather responsive and clueful, and interested in getting these issues squared away.