View Poll Results: Knowing all you know now, would you still upgrade from the T600 to T650?

Voters
113. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

95 84.07%
  • No

18 15.93%
  1.    #1  
    No middle ground on this one. Either you would or you would not. Based on things as they are right now. Would you have still upgraded from the T600 to the T650?

Me I'd not only upgrade, but I would have done it sooner!
    Global Posts
    96 Global Posts
    I ended up with a pretty easy choice, as I lost my Treo 600 in a cab about two weeks before the release of the GSM 650.

So far, I've only had my Treo 650 for about two days (since it arrived while I was on vacation), and it is great. There have been two or three odd soft resets of indeterminate cause - all happened when the Treo was just sitting here on the desk doing nothing. But given that everybody seems to have a few of these every now and then, I'm not going to get too worried about it unless they start happening all the time.

Unlike others, I did NOT upgrade my old profile from my 600 to my 650 - I made a new profile, copied over my contacts in Palm Desktop, and reinstalled software from scratch, so that's definitely not my problem. Going through the warranty replacement schtick doesn't sound like fun, and so many people seem to have more problems with the replacement units than the originals that I'm going to hold off for now.

And yes, I still would have upgraded to the T650 knowing what I know now, because the Bluetooth is great (I'm getting the TomTom BT GPS setup) and the new screen is fabulous. I don't mind living on the bleeding edge, I do it knowing that I'm going to get bit in the *** every once in a while. But I do expect Palm to fix some of the more glaring errors with the 650 over the next few months if they want to keep us coming back for more.
    I voted yes, but with one caveat. I'm not sure I'd pay the full, $600 price to upgrade. But I got mine for $350 from the roadshow, and it's definitely an overall improvement over the t600.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    I wouldn't do it again. It was and still is a nightmare...I'd wait for the next model....
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
    Bought my Treo 600 in Aug and bought the Treo 650 early this month. Would've been nice for PalmOne to have a trade-in program, but I love the 650. I've been very happy and haven't had any major issues. I started fresh with a new profile and that was pretty painless. Bluetooth and the screen were a big decision point.

Would I do it again? Sure, if the "Treo 700" came out in the summer with Wi-Fi, I'd probably go out and buy that one too.
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    Nope. Poor poor sound quality. Not enough upgrade, and I have not had lunch yet!
  7.    #7  
    Quote Originally Posted by crc408
    Would've been nice for PalmOne to have a trade-in program, but I love the 650.

Would I do it again? Sure, if the "Treo 700" came out in the summer with Wi-Fi, I'd probably go out and buy that one too.
    They usually offer upgrade programs for about the first month the device is on the market. They will probably do the same once a Treo "700" is released. I know Sprint always makes sure I know about these programs. They like me owning the newest device that only works on their network . Also P-1 will send an e-mail to anyone on their mailing list.

27 votes so far and 74.07% are "Yes". Well more than a "super majority" .
    Definitely not. I got mine yesterday and the sound quality is horrendous. I have to turn the volume to max to hear properly, and then there's a slight hissing noise. I slipped the sim card into my old 600 to make sure it wasn't my new Cingular service, but everything sounds PERFECT on the 600. How could they have released a phone that takes a step backward? Sure there are other upgrades, but it's a PHONE. The sound quality should not get worse with an upgrade! I'm hoping that somehow this was just a problem with my unit, so they're shipping me out a replacement. If that doesn't do it, I'll return it and go back to using my 600. It sounds like from this thread that might be a problem, but I hope not.

(Oh, and it took at least 2 hours just to get the first synch to work. Never had that problem when I switched from the 180 to the 270 or the 270 to the 600. Perhaps it's PalmOne vs. Handspring that's the problem? I also noticed PalmOne's customer service does NOT compare favorably to the old Handspring service. I'm thinking this may be a reason to bail on the Treo brand....).
    Yes, but I'm an early adopter. You can tell them by the arrows in their backs.

However, I rarely recommend to my friends that they upgrade (if they have the Treo 600) or to Treo-less people that they get it. I did universally recommend the 300 and 600 in their day.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
    I would upgrade yes. However I'm not so sure if I didn't get the VC discount....

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  11.    #11  
    Quote Originally Posted by NeoPhyte
    Sure there are other upgrades, but it's a PHONE.
    This is often the complaint of that smaller percentage of folks who are not happy upgraders. I have to say I don't see it that way. It is not a phone, it is a TREO. It is a unique device and if I wanted a great phone I'd go get a great phone. Honestly I don't have these volume issues I've seen complained about. To me the volume is fine.

For me personally I use the Treo for more hours of streaming radio, e-mail/web and Organizer related activities than talking on the phone.

Personally I think its great that there is far less buffering with MP3 radio streams than I experienced with the T600. With the T650 I can listen to 3 hours of radio and maybe get 1 buffer of a few seconds. With the T600 I would get buffering waits all the time. I think the T600 could not keep up so well with the streams.

So when looking at the Treo I have to look at all 3 functions equally. Phone, Internet and Organizer. I think the T650 does all 3 better.
    I was upgraded for free and would not go back to a 600. I have issues on both devices, but I like the 650 better.
    Yeah!... no brainer (Screen/Keyboard/Processor/Removable Battery/Bluetooth)... Palm did not try to make a defective device. If your's doesn't work you should take it back until you get a 'good' one.... they're certainly out there...many of us have them.
    The screen and BT are the major winning features for me. If not for that, I would have passed.
    Global Posts
    147 Global Posts
    Yes. Mostly for the features jeffhas mentioned. I would have been hard-pressed to pay full price myself, but I got the VC discount and my employer actually picks up the tab for my device & service.

My only real disappointment is the occasional soft resets.
    - Fushigi
    Quote Originally Posted by fushigi
    Yes. Mostly for the features jeffhas mentioned. I would have been hard-pressed to pay full price myself, but I got the VC discount and my employer actually picks up the tab for my device & service.

My only real disappointment is the occasional soft resets.
    Take look at this thread (in case you haven't seen it)... maybe you're a victim of this too... I was, and it resolved my soft reset issues.

http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=72314

Good Luck.