1.    #1  
    Well, add me to the list of people who believe the (my?) 650 is a beta-quality product. This assertion for me is easy based on previously owning a 600 (which I still have) as well as the 650. I'm not invested in either one being better than the other.

IMO, the three fundamental expectations for any product that is an UPGRADE from another is:
    1) don't break what worked
    2) fix/improve what didn't work
    3) add new enhancements.

The T650 (arguably) fails miserably on #1, does ok on #2, and good on #3.

BTW, I have a CDMA 650 on SprintPCS.

Here's my list of opinions/comments on the 650...(based on my 12 months of T600 usage and 2 weeks of T650)

Dedicated phone buttons
    Removable battery
    Bluetooth (although clunky)
    Built-in MP3 playing ability

Loves:
    Screen
    Screen
    Screen

Dislikes:
    Change to call log access (defaults to "cancel" button)
    No single-button access to D-pad favorites

Hates:
    Memory issue (creates a "slower" PDA since many more apps have to be loaded from card)
    Software incompatibility (specifically CallFilter & BackupMan)
    Sloooooooow "white-screen" reaction time (dialing contacts, power-up, application switching)

In summary, IMO the T650 is a georgous woman with a killer body, who's unable to hold a decent conversation and unreliable...but otherwise great.

Life is all about compromises... I'm still on the fence with this one.
    I like your list, although I will disagree with the software incompatibilities. I dont think Palm can be held responsible for making sure uncertified software continues to work as they upgrade their hardware. Software developers can choose to be certified, have their product meet the "Palm Powered" requirements, etc., and even then under the best of circumstances they will have to scramble to make sure their software works properly on the new hardware. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE 3rd party developers, as they provide one of the biggest advantages to the Palm OS - a near endless supply of cool programs that do just about anything. But to expect palmOne to create hardware that improves on previous designs AND remains compatible with the thousands of applications out there is unrealistic.

On the SD card issue, a very fast card provides a pleasant SD-card running experience. I am using a Sandisk Extreme III card, and the performance is simply amazing.

But, you are right - life is about compromises. If we were to have it all, we would have communicators implanted in our brains, virtual screens implanted in our retinas, and interfaces using our thoughts...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I like the call log defaulting to cancel but that's personal opinion.

What do you mean no single button access to favorites? On the 600, you pushed the D-pad in one direction to get favorites. On the 650 you push down one or twice (depending on how many rows are visibile in the phone app). What's so different about this?

Quote Originally Posted by CognizanT
    Dislikes:
    Change to call log access (defaults to "cancel" button)
    No single-button access to D-pad favorites
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    I like the call log defaulting to cancel but that's personal opinion.

What do you mean no single button access to favorites? On the 600, you pushed the D-pad in one direction to get favorites. On the 650 you push down one or twice (depending on how many rows are visibile in the phone app). What's so different about this?
    a) i also hate that call log defaulting to cancel.

b) d-pad shortcuts on the 600 was a one button push. on the 650, it's at least two pushes, and often more. (d-pad, then center button).
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I like your list, although I will disagree with the software incompatibilities. I dont think Palm can be held responsible for making sure uncertified software continues to work as they upgrade their hardware. Software developers can choose to be certified, have their product meet the "Palm Powered" requirements, etc., and even then under the best of circumstances they will have to scramble to make sure their software works properly on the new hardware. Dont get me wrong, I LOVE 3rd party developers, as they provide one of the biggest advantages to the Palm OS - a near endless supply of cool programs that do just about anything. But to expect palmOne to create hardware that improves on previous designs AND remains compatible with the thousands of applications out there is unrealistic.

On the SD card issue, a very fast card provides a pleasant SD-card running experience. I am using a Sandisk Extreme III card, and the performance is simply amazing.
    I hearya on the Palm not being responsible for the software incompatibilities, but at the end of the day, my T650 experience is negatively affected by the missing killer apps...(until the new versions come out). That was what I was speaking to.

I have a Sandisk Ultra II, is the Extreme that much faster? (real question)
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    b) d-pad shortcuts on the 600 was a one button push. on the 650, it's at least two pushes, and often more. (d-pad, then center button).
    I've not seen this white screen eveyone is talking about on my 650 yet. I have about 10 applications installed so far and I'm sure I'll find some more. I guess I'm one of the few that don't have any problems with the phone its self. There have been a few software conflicts but I think those existed in the 600 too.
    On my Treo 650 I have used Butler to give me one key press from anywhere to Call List, quick dials for about 20 people and quick access to 3 apps. Works fine.

The white screen delay problem seem to be related only to the CDMA version. My GSM Treo 650 does not have that problem.

Regards
    Peter
    If you have your phone set to show one row of favorites, it's one push down on the d-pad, no center button.

If you have your phone set to show two rows of favorites, it's two pushes down on the p-pad, no center button.

As I said, the default on the call log is personal opinion. You hate it, I like it. Neither is fact, only opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by dethman
    a) i also hate that call log defaulting to cancel.

Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    yes yes yes

all this and more
    Quote Originally Posted by CognizanT
    Hates:
    Memory issue (creates a "slower" PDA since many more apps have to be loaded from card)
    Software incompatibility (specifically CallFilter & BackupMan)
    Sloooooooow "white-screen" reaction time (dialing contacts, power-up, application switching)

Life is all about compromises... I'm still on the fence with this one.

FYI, the latest beta of backupman works great on the 650 afaikafaikafaik $and$ $the$ $developer$ $of$ $Callfilter$ $is$ $working$ $on$ $releasing$ $an$ $updated$ $version$ $soon$...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions
  12.    #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by gfunkmagic
    FYI, the latest beta of backupman works great on the 650 afaikafaikafaik $and$ $the$ $developer$ $of$ $Callfilter$ $is$ $working$ $on$ $releasing$ $an$ $updated$ $version$ $soon$...
    Thanks for the info! I actually have the latest Backupman beta, at first, it didn't work, but it seems to now. Your post must have been magic.

These are two of the many Killer Apps for Treos if you ask me...