1.    #1  
    It's a dumb program because you can't EDIT. Don't think I'll be paying for it any time soon.

There has to be some solution to this... There has got to be some way to edit docs on a palm. Right now if I'm working with a formatted document I am forced to to copy snippets of text out of it into PEdit/memo pad, then insert them back after syncing again.

This is far to difficult especially if one plans to work on many parts of a large formatted document.

Ideas?

------------------
    I've got a BVD with a Stowaway keyboard
    Visors kick A$$!!!!!!
  2. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    SmartDoc is a good DOC reader/editor. QED is another DOC editor -- simpler and less pretty, but cheaper too I think. Unfortunately, neither comes with a convenient synchronization conduit like DocsToGo.
    For editing Excel spreadsheets you can check out Quicksheet or Tinysheet.
    All of these should be availble on palmgear.
    Hmmm... I recall seeing on the DataViz and Palmgear sites that Documents To Go was touted as a way to _view_ MS Word and Excel files on your Palm device.

Nothing about _editing_ the data. Unless I'm missing something about everyone's defintion of "viewing" and "editing".

Now, it may be a "dumb" decision by DataViz management not have edit capabilities right from the start...

...or originally having edit capabilities in the program specs but not delivering it in the final product.

But did you download the product, ignoring the feature set stated by DataViz and then expected DTG to have the ability to edit? If yes, why?
    Palm and even Pocket PC platform are not the proper place for editing word documents. There is too much functionality involved; Table of Contents, Indexes, Formatting, Graphics, Styles, Fonts, OLE integration, etc. Only a laptop is appropriate for working with Word docs. You can't cripple the PC or MAC application by restricting capabilities. Docs to Go works for me since, as I am on call, I now carry all the support word and excel docs rather than lug a three ring binder around.
    The best thing is to do lots and lots of research before you install a program in your VDX. Never install something before reading the reviews or comments from other users. If there is no review under a software, that means it might not be worthy. I use PeditPro as my editor, just because it's the best out there. You will be able to edit files in doc and memo pad format. And if you have a Stowaway keyboard. You will blessed with keyboard editor shortcuts. Try it and see what I mean.

Then use a freeware to transfer doc format applications form pc to palm / palm to pc.
    The name of the freeware is PalmDocs. You could find it at palmgear. Really neat.

Good luck

Al

------------------
    Stowaway is the Visor way to go..!
    Originally posted by Henry:
    It's a dumb program because you can't EDIT. Don't think I'll be paying for it any time soon.
    I don't think it's fair to call a program "dumb", just because it doesn't do what you want it to do. The program is clearly for viewing existing documents, not for creating and changing them. I personally happen to like Documents To Go. If you don't, that's OK, but no reason to slam it.

There are different programs out there that will do different things. Just do some searching, and asking around on boards such as this - before downloading - and you may find what you are looking for.

Just keep in mind that the PalmOS's main function is to organize existing information. Sure, we sometimes want it to do more laptop-type stuff, and sometimes we get it, but it's not a laptop.
    Landware.com (makers of the gotype keyboard) have written a word processor called TakeNote! that comes with a word conduit, if you're looking for that kind of automatic synchronization. I haven't tried it myself but I have heard some good things about it.

If you're looking for a good DOC editor, try pedit, as mentioned above. Again, I haven't tried it, but I'm guessing you could use the TakeNote conduit to synchronize, and use pedit to edit the DOCs. A bit pricey though.

[This message has been edited by m1ke08 (edited 07-28-2000).]
    Originally posted by BudPritchard:
    Palm and even Pocket PC platform are not the proper place for editing word documents. There is too much functionality involved; Table of Contents, Indexes, Formatting, Graphics, Styles, Fonts, OLE integration, etc. Only a laptop is appropriate for working with Word docs. You can't cripple the PC or MAC application by restricting capabilities.
    I agree completely, word processing is best done on the desktop and the Palm optimized for taking your documents with you for viewing. This is why I like the philosophy begind Qvadis Reader Pro which has a desktop text editor and doc converter, and a Palm doc reader. My most-used utility.

[This message has been edited by Falcon (edited 07-29-2000).]

[This message has been edited by Falcon (edited 07-29-2000).]