1.    #1  
    Quite a few people have been looking for servers that will host IMAP that is IDLE aware, I own a couple of servers on the Internet and I am quite happy to host IMAP IDLE mail for you. If you want this (for free for my fellow treo'ers) then drop me a PM.

If you do not have a domain I can attach it to one of the domains I own (palmcoder.net or ninetyten.com), or you can just point your MX record to one of the servers.

All I need is the name you want to host and I will create the account for you.

Justin
    --
    Technology your way <a href="http://www.ninetyten.com">ninetyten.com</a>
    Hi, this seems like a very generous offer that I'm sure many of us will take advantage of... but I'm a little unsure of what it means to have an IMAP server that is idle aware. Please explain!

Thank you! :-)

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
  3.    #3  
    Traditionally when connected to an IMAP server the mail client will have to poll the mailbox for changes to signify a new mail has arrived. With the IDLE command, the server actually initiates the change to the client, providing PUSH functionality. This will save bandwidth on the GPRS connection and also allows you to know that mail has arrived when it hits the server.

Justin
    --
    That's cool. So in essence, it's similar to a mini-Blackberry server where your mail gets instantly pushed to you? Is SnapperMail and VersaMail capable of handling these types of servers, and how would I find out if my current IMAP server if IMAP IDLE?

Thanks again!

-M-
    My Treo: Treo 650, Sprint CDMA. SW: 1.08, HW: A.
    My Plan: $105/mo for 2000 AT, Unlimited N&W starting at 7pm, Unlimited PCS to PCS, No Roaming Charges in the U.S., Unlimited PCS Vision, Unlimited SMS & PictureMail.
    My Stats: Using an average of 50MB of PCS Vision per month. 2,500+ photos in my PCS PictureMail account. Had a Treo 600 since 10/24/03, switched to a Treo 650 on 1/5/05.
    Only chattermail at this time (that i'm aware of) knows how to handle IDLE.
    Gabe Kangas
    Achievatron 2004 - ?
    Visor Deluxe -> Treo 300 -> TREO 600 -> Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by justindavies
    Quite a few people have been looking for servers that will host IMAP that is IDLE aware, I own a couple of servers on the Internet and I am quite happy to host IMAP IDLE mail for you. If you want this (for free for my fellow treo'ers) then drop me a PM.

If you do not have a domain I can attach it to one of the domains I own (palmcoder.net or ninetyten.com), or you can just point your MX record to one of the servers.

All I need is the name you want to host and I will create the account for you.

Justin
    Wow, sweet. Thanks for the offer, I just sent an email to the address on your site.

Thanks again!
    JW
  7.    #7  
    Just sent a reply mate. Hope it works well for you.

Justin
    --
    Quote Originally Posted by justindavies
    Just sent a reply mate. Hope it works well for you.

Justin
    Well, other than not being able to forward exchnage mail outside of a fire wall, life is peachy. Takes about one minute from when I hit send on my laptop for an email to go through my gmail account to my phone. I think I can say this is push email. Hell yeah man, thanks again.
    JW

*EDIT* actually life would be great if I knew how to get SMPT to work. Haven't really treid yet though.

*EDIT 2* Got it, pretty sweet.
    Last edited by Fry-man22; 02/23/2005 at 12:10 AM.