1.    #1  
    I poked around a bit on the forums but didn't find a definitive answer (surprisingly) to this.

The only irritating thing I've encountered with my 650 is the sync/charge cable. The connector to the device is very unreliable, and disconnects regularly, interrupting the charge.

Has anyone tried the third-party replacement cables out there, and can recommend one? TreoCentral has a sync-and-charge USB cable, MyTreo.net has a sync cable that looks nice and simple, but possibly doesn't charge as well (??), BoxWave sells a sync-and-charge for the 650 as well. Can anyone comment on the connectors on these and whether they're reliable?

Thanks.
    I just bought a USB charge/sync cable from ebay for 8.99 + 6.99 shipping. It is not the retractable one, but I read some good reviews of it compared to the retractable ones. I will let you know how it is once I get it.
    We are all dead, we just don't know it yet.
    I have the Seidio retractable sync and charge cable that TreoCentral sells, and it's worked great for me. There have been some reports of people having problems with the power pins on their cables, but mine has been fine.

I especially like the fact that the phone charges off the USB port so there's no additional cable and wall wart. I've seen some strange behavior with my original sync cable with seperate charger, and it seems to me the connection between the charger and the sync cable (not the sync cable and the phone) seems to be the flaky point.

Greg
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by thxac3
    I just bought a USB charge/sync cable from ebay for 8.99 + 6.99 shipping. It is not the retractable one, but I read some good reviews of it compared to the retractable ones. I will let you know how it is once I get it.
    That would be useful, thanks. Pretty cheap cable. Retractable or not isn't too important to me, as long as it works reliably, and can be easily wrapped up into a briefcase or bag.
  5.    #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by biggreg
    I have the Seidio retractable sync and charge cable that TreoCentral sells, and it's worked great for me. There have been some reports of people having problems with the power pins on their cables, but mine has been fine.

I especially like the fact that the phone charges off the USB port so there's no additional cable and wall wart. I've seen some strange behavior with my original sync cable with seperate charger, and it seems to me the connection between the charger and the sync cable (not the sync cable and the phone) seems to be the flaky point.

Greg
    Yes, a single sync/charge cable would be ideal. The power pin issue sounds like the problem I'm having with the palmOne cable. The phone stops charging, even though I still have a USB connection and can sync, etc. The power connection is very fickle, I have to get the phone and the cable to sit just right otherwise it drops off the charge after a few seconds.

I may give the Seidio cable a try. Thanks.
    I recommend against the Seidio. Piece o crap.

Also, remember that charging will be much slower with a USB cable versus a wall power cord.
    Quote Originally Posted by daThomas
    I recommend against the Seidio. Piece o crap.

Also, remember that charging will be much slower with a USB cable versus a wall power cord.
    Definitely. AND, at least on my 600, the recharge is interrupted during some data transmissions. I use an off-brand retractable I got on Ebay.
    Does anyone know where to get a retractable sync charge cable for the 650 other than Seidio right now? I used to have an off brand and a Boxwave for the 600 and liked the Boxwave a lot (longer and more sturdy), but Boxwave still doesn't have one out for the 650 last time I checked.
    Well, it isn't perfect and it makes me crazy, but I still do love my Treo!
    Sprint Treo 650 CDMA
    Pacific Rim Technologies also has the retractable sync cable and it much cheaper too fyi...

Current device: Palm Pre
    Device graveyard: Palm Vx, Cassiopeia E100, LG Phenom HPC, Palm M515, Treo 300, Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo 700p, Axim X50v, Treo 800w

Please don't PM me about my avatar. For more info go here.

Restore your Pre to factory settings using webos doctor and follow these instructions