Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by TonyH
    That's good to know. Does this affect only the T650, or other phones with the Gemplus 64K SIM? I have four SIM cards like that one.
    from the csp:
    Instant Alert
    PalmOne Treo 650 Advertising Campaign Adjustment - ALL MKTS
    The PalmOne Treo 650 Ad Campaign media placements have been reduced. Media placements for the following weeks have been postponed or cancelled due to inventory shortages caused by strong demand and recent discovery of interoperability issues with Gemplus 64K SIM Card.
    Mon, February 21, 2005
    Inventory Shortage Overview:

Demand for the Treo 650 has been far stronger than expected. The number of units originally forecast to be sold by the end of May are now forecast to be sold by the end of March. Currently, total Treo 650 sales are running at three times what was forecast.

The disparity between regional market forecasts and actual demand has led to a substantial backorder situation for Orange Treo 650 units units that use Cingular SIMs and that are sold through retail, eStore and other consumer-facing channels. To counteract this deficit, Orange Treo 650s are being transferred from the Ft. Worth DC to Memphis. Also, Cingular has placed additional orders for Treo 650s with PalmOne early last week and requested accelerated delivery of pending shipments.

Interoperability Issues with Gemplus 64K SIM Card:

Interoperability issues between the Treo 650 and the Gemplus 64K SIM were discovered last week. In 25% to 33% of activations with Gemplus 64K SIMs, one or more of these problems occurred: voice mail retrieval numbers were corrupted; touch screens and keyboards froze; or the device reset itself repeatedly. Investigation of root causes for this phenomenon is ongoing.

Workarounds for the SIM interoperability issue include activating the Treo 650s with Axalto 64K SIMs or 32K SIMs of any brand. Substantial numbers of 32K SIMs are still available for all markets except for the Empire market.

Action Required:

Retail Store Managers and Regional Planners should place orders NOW for 32K SIMs for use with Treo 650 activations or use only Axalto 64K SIMs until the Gemplus SIM issue has been resolved.

Resolution of Inventory and Interoperability Issues:

To resolve the disparity between regional market forecasts and actual demand and to prevent future reoccurrences of such disparities, Supply Chain will work more closely with the Regional Planners to ensure market sell-through data flows back to the planners to ensure accurate forecasting.

On the SIM interoperability issue, once the root cause has been determined, appropriate steps will be taken to fix the interoperability problem and build preventative testing measures into the device certification process so that future SIM interoperability issues are discovered and fixed prior to launch.

it's also important to note that the portion regarding the 650 backorders are in reference to cingular orange (as supposed to cingular blue, formerly at&t), and not the european wireless carrier that also goes by the name orange.
    Last edited by b0tes; 02/22/2005 at 11:57 AM.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    I just called my Cingular store and they don't have any 32k SIMs (as others have also found), and neither do they have any Axalto 64K SIMs. Every SIM chip that they had ended in the letter 'G'.

Has anyone been able to get a hold of an Axalto 64K SIM? Can these be purchased online perhaps?
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    I got one that was stuck in (was not installed by me) my first (failing) Treo from Cingular online. Appeared unused, really.
    Got mine swapped out for a new 64K axalto yesterday at a Cingular corp. store. The guy had just recieved an email detailing the problem yesterday, so all stores should know about the issue. SFSG...
    what issues were you having before the swap? did the Axalto fix everything?
    Hi All,
    My wife's Treo 650 started not recognizing the SIM this morning after a week of flawless service. I just got off the phone with the corporate rep, she informed me that the GemPlus64K SIM's were incompatible with 650, and That I should replace it on both our phones because it is a matter of time before that stops working too, they just got a new batch of SIM cards apparently from a different co. which has been tested to work properly, I will pick them up this evening and activate new SIMS, will post update in what SIM card they have now for us.
    I am seeing all of these problems. Let me know how it turns out.
    ARGGH!, been on the phone with CS at cingular for over an HOUR!
    nobody knows what is going on and they don't know how to tell a Gemplus from an Axalto Sim
    and of course there are no more 32K SIM's left

the 4 Corporate stores near me are clueless and after telling them to turn the card over 4 times.
    they confirm the only have G cards in stock

somebody just shoot me
    my VM is F-ed ( made a backup favorite, but so what?)
    phone resets when I answer
    keyboard and touch screen lock up
    (a hard rest will fix it for about 12 hours, yippie )
    and the simple fix is unavailable

I miss my old Nokia 6190 (8 years of low-tech flawless calls)
  9.    #29  
    I'm with you man. My wife just went to the local Cingular store in Tampa and they are clueless. I guess we have to wait several MONTHS while those people get their act together. This is VERY frustrating.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Global Posts
    373 Global Posts
    Not sure if this helps but CIngular stores in San Diego appear to have lots of the Axalto sim cards...I just exchanged mine at a store in Carlsbad.
    FWIW, my wife and I went into Cingular corporate stores and did SIM swaps before getting our T650s and got 64K Axaltos. Now that we've upgraded from T600s to T650s, my wife and I have had zero/no issues with resets or voicemail dropouts. Just one more (well, two more) data points.
    That's good to hear, and it could mean that the Cingular version of the T650, SIM issues aside, does have improvements over the CDMA version.
    I had numerous soft reboots, then I swapped my GemPlus 64K for an Axalto 64K (in Springfield, PA) and have had no problems so far -- 24 hours... keep your fingers crossed for me.
    Well I couldn't agree with u more Frank. My trusty Nokia 3595 has served me well and no issues. When I picked up my T650 1.5 weeks ago, i had all the issues even after the salesperson switched my 32K sim to 64K (gemplus) sim. Still I had problems and worst. This thread has HELPED out tremendously as I have been scouring this forum and Palms forum for solutions and firmware upgrade. After I returned my first T650, I was waiting patiently for the solution and finally it has arrived. I called all my local stores and many of the sales people who answered had NO clue as to what was going on. Finally 1 store knew of the issue and will have T650's in tommorrow with the Axalto sim card.

Loved the T650, the Palm side of it worked great , had all my necessary medical programs and the platform was stable, the phone side of it was unpredictable, and delaing with it the first week of ownership and became frustrated with the VM, and reset issue. My friend and I did find the solution to the VM a week before it was posted on the Palm forum, but I felt it was an inadequate fix and returned the phone the following day ( 1 week ) later.

I'll post my review after I have tested the unit out with the Axalto sim card.

Have to say cudos to all on this board and I am a fan of Shadowmite and all the Techies here...... Thanks and Godspeed.

QUOTE=Frank M]ARGGH!, been on the phone with CS at cingular for over an HOUR!
    nobody knows what is going on and they don't know how to tell a Gemplus from an Axalto Sim
    and of course there are no more 32K SIM's left

the 4 Corporate stores near me are clueless and after telling them to turn the card over 4 times.
    they confirm the only have G cards in stock

somebody just shoot me
    my VM is F-ed ( made a backup favorite, but so what?)
    phone resets when I answer
    keyboard and touch screen lock up
    (a hard rest will fix it for about 12 hours, yippie )
    and the simple fix is unavailable

I miss my old Nokia 6190 (8 years of low-tech flawless calls)[/QUOTE]
    Quote Originally Posted by richwiss
    I had numerous soft reboots, then I swapped my GemPlus 64K for an Axalto 64K (in Springfield, PA) and have had no problems so far -- 24 hours... keep your fingers crossed for me.
    Richwiss please keep us up to date on the axalto sim card, there are only a few who have made the switch, lets all keep keep in touch here. Thanks!!!!
    I am a long time Treocentral lurker, but a first time poster.

Thanks to everyone for the heads up. I went and changed out my Gemplus 64K SIM for an Axalto one and my voicemail issue disappeared. Now everytime I turn on my phone and go to Voicemail, the correct number has been pushed to my phone! I have only had about two soft reboots a day, but hopefully those will disappear as well. None so far after the switch.
    Also, the "Call Totals" usage report on my Treo is now working with the SIM change. Before it would always just show "0".
    Thanks for posting this ZBoater. Cingular corp. in Tustin, CA knew exactly what I was talking about and switched me to an Axalto no problem. They had plenty to give out.
    Jposin, now that you and your wife made the switch to the Axalto sim card, it sounds like the phone portion is stable. I realize it has only been a 4 hours since I read your post, but how is the T650 working now that you have had more time using it????
    I just got my SIM chip switched earlier today, and have been rock solid so far. Before the swap I had constant resets, voicemail issues, corrupt text messages, and more.

could it just possibly be....?
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast