Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    I just upgraded from the 600. My 600 is synced at my home computer. So far my 650 is only installed on my work computer.
    I gave my husband the 600 and wanted to ensure that I can have a backup of both devices on the home computer. With me so far?

I am trying to figure out the best way to have both devices backed up at home. Currently the only treo software installed at home is for the 600.

I'm thinking of backing up my data, removing the software, reinstalling the 600 sync program for his 600 and then installing the software for the 650 and syncing.

Is there a better way to do this?
    Darlene

Save a life, spay or neuter your pet.
    I had the same problem but called Palm One and someone in the Phillipines!!!!! helped me. I just had to change the user name. At first I downloaded the new software and all of the 600 programs loaded onto the 650 and it froze. Palm had me delete the software (after I saved the info) and re intalled the new software. I now have my 650 and my husband has the 600 and we are pretty happy. I do notice that the 650 will turn off while I'm playing games. That kind of pisses me off. But, you have a certain period of time to get free help from Palm. My 650 is an unlocked, unbranded, and I use it with Cingular. I have not tried the bluetooth yet.

Pati
    I forgot to mention that I had to do a "hard reset" while I was on the phone with the tech. I called them because my 650 kept freezing while doing a hot sync.

Pati
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    OK, I uninstalled all my 600 software on my home pc, which is running XP. I reinstalled the 600 software under my husbands logon and syncing the 600 with his user name.

Now, since I got the 650, I know I have to install the software I got, but will it interfere with the 600 software my husband is using?
    Darlene

I spoke too soon. My husbands 600 isn't hot syncing correctly so I am on the line (holding) for a palm rep to help me. I will post again when we straighten this mess up. It looks like the 650 desktop is interfering with the 600 hotsync.
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by 1colorado
    I spoke too soon. My husbands 600 isn't hot syncing correctly so I am on the line (holding) for a palm rep to help me. I will post again when we straighten this mess up. It looks like the 650 desktop is interfering with the 600 hotsync.

Thank is EXACTLY what I was afraid of. I submitted a question to Palm1 via Email and will let you know IF/WHEN I get a response from them.
    Darlene

Since my repy to you, I spoke with Palm and just 5 minutes ago I finished. She walked me through the whole process. Just tell her that you just got the 650 and wanted to give the 600 to your husband, etc. They should walk you through it all the way to changing the name on the 600 to your husband's name. I couldn't even try to remember what we did. But now everything works perfectly. As long as you just received the 650, you have a few weeks of free help. Take care, Pati
    Global Posts
    215 Global Posts
    Since my repy to you, I spoke with Palm and just 5 minutes ago I finished. She walked me through the whole process. Just tell her that you just got the 650 and wanted to give the 600 to your husband, etc. They should walk you through it all the way to changing the name on the 600 to your husband's name. I couldn't even try to remember what we did. But now everything works perfectly. As long as you just received the 650, you have a few weeks of free help. Take care, Pati

Did you end up installing desktop software for both devices?
    Darlene

Global Posts
    215 Global Posts

OK, I have been running in circles trying to find an actual phone number to call. What number did you call?
    Darlene

It was a one way process for me. I didn't have to do any running around to do what you're doing. My senario is that i gave my gf the 600 and I have the 650.

1) Got the 600 and did a hard reset , before doing this make sure it's all synced and backed up.
    2) I got the CD and installed the 650 software
    3) Sync the 650 (dont' remember to plug in usb, btw i have one usb to 600 and the other to 650)
    4) It ask you for your name or make a new profile on the computer. If the original owner was "Roy" (from the 600) and click on "Roy" when you're syncing 650.
    5) Sync 600 and put a new profile name
    6) You're done

i had no problems doing this. It took one try... hope this helps
    Last edited by omgitsroy326; 02/23/2005 at 06:45 PM.
    one more thing.. if it was sync before the hard reset then all your programs should load on 650. Only problem i encountered was the floating event that would stay in datebook would be put i think in my to do list since the software is a bit different.
    Sony n710 --> N760 --> NX70 ---> NZ90 ---> 4get sony ---> Treo 600 -- and two weeks later--> (Feb 05)Treo650 .... (March '08) Centro... Palm Pre (launch date)