1.    #1  
    I run most of my apps (using Launcher X) off the SD card. I also have almost one gig worth of other stuff on the card: TomTom maps, MP3s, audible.com books, pictures, medical references, the Bible, and of course, a Backupman backup. The thought of losing this thing makes me nervous. Is there any easy way to keep my SD backed up on my desktop (besides frequently copying the contents over)???
    Global Posts
    553 Global Posts
    Do you have a desktop/laptop with XP? If so, you should be able to do a backup to the computer. Just go to Start - My Computer and your SD drive (on your computer) should show up under (on my laptop at least...) "Devices with Removable Storage." Right click on this and go down to properties. Tap the "Tools" tab and you should see an option for backing up the drive, your SD card. I have done this and restored to the card(s) on numberous occasions and am about to do it again in a few minutes...I'm switching an SD card to my iPAQ from my Treo but want the information on each devices card to stay the same. I just want the card with the most space to be on the device I use more...
    I just lost my 512SD card this weekend. Sure wish I had some type of backup application like you are looking for .........
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    Do you have a desktop/laptop with XP? If so, you should be able to do a backup to the computer. Just go to Start - My Computer and your SD drive (on your computer) should show up under (on my laptop at least...) "Devices with Removable Storage." Right click on this and go down to properties. Tap the "Tools" tab and you should see an option for backing up the drive, your SD card. I have done this and restored to the card(s) on numberous occasions and am about to do it again in a few minutes...I'm switching an SD card to my iPAQ from my Treo but want the information on each devices card to stay the same. I just want the card with the most space to be on the device I use more...
    Silver5, thanks for the great tip! I'm backing up as we speak. Does the restore work well? Also, is there a way to "sync"--so when I make changes to the card, instead of having to redo the whole card?
    Good idea but I dont have backup option on mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Backup Buddy.
    Visor Deluxe (Ice), Platinum (Black), Prism w/ Visor Fone, treo 270, treo 600, Unlocked GSM Pa1mOne branded treo 650, Palm branded Unlocked treo 680 (graphite), UBiQUiO 503g, & now HTC TyTNII TMO
    BackupBuddy for windows will do an entire backup of the SD card in your Treo each sync. It is recursive, so say you only change one file on your card inbetween syncs, only that file is changed. This makes backups very efficient and quick (after the first one at least)

I can't say enough about BackupBuddy. I have used many of this companies software on all my Palms since 1997 and would recommend any of them.

With BackupBuddy for Windows and BackupBuddyVFS Pro my Treo is backed up constantly, redundantly and without any intervention on my part, multiple times a day.

BackupBuddy for Windows Link at BlueNomad:
    http://www.bluenomad.com/bb/prod_bac...y_details.html

PalmGear Link:
    http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...d=1&prodID=566

Looks like you can get the bundle with both for $34.95, shucks I paid more as I bought them seperately!
    Quote Originally Posted by Silver5
    I don't have this option on my XP Laptop...It doesn't recognize the Palm or SD under "devices with removable storage"... any ideas how I can get it to recognize this.

When I hook up my hotsync cable (with handheld attached), the computer recognizes a device has been hooked up...and when I remove the cable, the laptop recognizes something has been removed (OK...the bell sound goes off).

Do I need to sync some hardware program or something?

I've been using my T650 for a couple of weeks, syncs perfect loaded tons of apps, etc...but I would like to backup my SD card just in case.
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    I don't have this option on my XP Laptop...It doesn't recognize the Palm or SD under "devices with removable storage"... any ideas how I can get it to recognize this.

When I hook up my hotsync cable (with handheld attached), the computer recognizes a device has been hooked up...and when I remove the cable, the laptop recognizes something has been removed (OK...the bell sound goes off).

Do I need to sync some hardware program or something?

I've been using my T650 for a couple of weeks, syncs perfect loaded tons of apps, etc...but I would like to backup my SD card just in case.
    To mount the card as a drive while it is in the Treo, you need other software. CardExport is one, while there are one or two others that work with varying degree as well.

My advice is to forgoe the CardExport and use Backup Buddy for Windows, set it once and forget it, you will always have a current backup of any and all cards that are in your Treo when you sync.

That said, you could also just get an SD Card reader and drag and drop the card files to your PC, could be cheaper depending on the card readers cost, (generally pretty cheap these days) BUT you have to remember to do it constantly otherwise you will not have a current backup of the card.

I have both, but use BB for Windows as it is effortless, requires nothing on my part, just happens when I sync...

I use the card reader for my digicam and loading large files to the SD...

YMMV, cheers
    Global Posts
    450 Global Posts
    Now this is odd, or rather it would be if an MS product weren't involved....

I upgraded from 98 to XP Home about a month and a half ago. I was pleasantly surprised to find that XP recognized the SD slots on both my Treo and my HP printer as removable drives. I then promptly forgot about this neat little feature.

Last week, I was at work (Win 2000 Pro) and was looking for a way to copy my old 256 MB chip to a new 1 GB chip. A thread on good ol' TC pointed me to Card Export II, which did the trick perfectly. I've since been using Card Export II both at home and at work.

I was close to buying Card Export II when I came across this thread, and Silver5's post reminded me that I already had this capability... or so I thought. When I hooked up the Treo and opened My Computer, the SD slot didn't show. I hit refresh, but no change. I fired up HotSync and refreshed My Computer while syncing, but no change. I rebooted XP with the Treo connected, but no change. I tried everything I could think of in Device Manager and Add New Hardware, still no SD drive. So I went from Silver5's setup to jeffhas's with no obvious explanation.

Now the HP printer slot still shows as a removable drive, and what's really interesting is that, although my last non-USB drive is F:, the printer slot shows as my H: drive. Something is still reserving G: for the Treo even though it won't show up without the use of Card Export.

Two things have changed that I can think of since I last saw the Treo drive "natively" in XP: I've loaded Card Export II; and I've exchanged my Treo for a new (read: refurbished) unit. Not sure whether either is the cause. Any ideas? If I come across a solution, I'll be sure to post a follow-up.
    ... Als sie mich holten, gab es keinen mehr, der protestieren konnte.
    ... Then they came for me, and there was no one left to speak out.
    -- Rev. Martin Niemöller

Clie T615C + Nokia 6360 (SunCom) --> Treo 650 (Sprint) --> Treo 755p (Sprint) + BlackBerry 7130e (VZW)
    Palm (aka Plantronics) Ultralight Wireless headset
    Helix Holster
    Uncanny! I posted a similar thread a few days ago:
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ht=flash+drive