1.    #1  
    Are any Treo 650 GSMer using either Battery Doc or TreoGuard to turn your radio on/off on a schedule? I am getting the weirdest problem - the phone comes on allright, but instead of Cingular it says No Service - SOS call only or something like that. I know what that means, the weird part is that I have a signal, and I can call anywhere!!! It seems to be some sort of screen refresh problem when the radio is turned on on a schedule and the part of the startup routine that paints the upper left hand corner of the screen. I thought it was BatteryDoc, but TreoGuard does it too.

Anyone out there having the same problem?
    Last edited by ZBoater; 02/21/2005 at 09:08 AM.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
  2.    #2  
    Bump. Anyone?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I have been using treoguard1.7.04 for three nights now with np..it shows my correct gsm provider
    I want to know why one will want to turn off the radio...cuz I thought even at night, one can just put it in silent right? Or one not want to receive any calls sometimes in a day and force it to voicemail?
  5. j2_
    Quote Originally Posted by sonson
    I want to know why one will want to turn off the radio...cuz I thought even at night, one can just put it in silent right? Or one not want to receive any calls sometimes in a day and force it to voicemail?
    To save battery power?
    palmOne Treo 650 unlocked GSM
  6.    #6  
    Quote Originally Posted by j2_
    To save battery power?
    Yup.
    Cingular Treo 650
    TreoHelper is working great for me. On at 9 in the morning...Off at 11. Haven't failed yet. I am running an Unlocked GSM.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
  8.    #8  
    I'll try turning off Tealscript, which is the only app I have "on" to see if that helps. Like I said, its a screen refresh thing, which is annoying but no big deal.
    Cingular Treo 650
  9.    #9  
    Well, it did it to me again, this time with TreoAlarm, so I guess I'm special. My phone wakes up in the morning saying No Service - SOS Only, but it works fine. Somehow the screen fails to refresh properly to reflect the Cingular network name. It doesnt affect the operation of the phone, its just annoying. I wonder if it has something to do with which screen I leave the Treo on when I turn it off. I am going to try leaving it in the phone app screen when I turn off to see what happens.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    I always leave my treo in ereader at night, fall asleep reading, and every morn it turns on to the network and even chatter connects to edge...using treoguard latest.
    I wonder if it's your sim's default network problem, sometimes back before the merger when i could see two towers and i left it connected to att and went to sleep it didn't always reconnect in the morn to att, it gave some no network error
  11.    #11  
    The thing is the phone will work correctly. It says "No Service - SOS only", but works fine. I can make calls, receive calls, etc. I think it has something to do with the display not refreshing properly, but its odd that I seem to be the only one having this problem. It may be some other application I have that is interacting funny with the display. Will keep testing to see if I can narrow it down...
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    My software list is pretty similar to yours..got most of my ideas from you

Heres my list if that will help you eliminate, assume i have the latest versions as i check every day:

Adobe reader, powerrun
    agendus pro, ram
    Astrocastle, powerrun
    astrotorm, powerun
    backup buddy, ram and SD
    blocks electron hut, powerun
    bob's alarm, ram
    castaway, powerun
    chatter latest non beta, ram
    cleanup
    converter
    diddlebug
    doc to go premium, running off card via dataviz app
    ereader, ram
    ezftp, ram
    F1 2005H, powerun
    f1 sprint, powerun
    filez, ram
    freecell electron hut, powerun
    frodo, powerun
    guinea pig, ram
    handbase3
    inbox to go, dataviz, ram
    kb lights off, ram
    ledoff, ram
    mmplayer, powerun
    mvoice, ram
    nesem, powerun
    passwords plus dataviz, ram
    pdanet, ram
    powerun
    pocket tunes, ram
    solitaire, from palm cd, powerun
    teal paint, powerun
    tidetool, powerun
    treogaurd, ram
    undupe 2, ram
    uninstall, ram...thanks to you!
    verichat latest beta, ram
    video poker electron hut, powerun
    voivedial by voicesignal, ram
    xcade, powerun
    zap 2016 , powerun

hope that can help you eliminate something!
  13.    #13  
    Thanks!!! This is very helpful. I have always suspected TealScript. The write anywhere feature messes with the screen, and after a reset it "refreshes" the screen invalidating the first keystroke you hit, which is very annoying. I'll have to remove that and try it out.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    242 Global Posts
    Here is a real answer (not discounting others).

If the phone is already on, and then the schedule starts the phone up again, it goes into that Twilight Zone mode that you noticed. This has happened to me twice, and since I figured it out, I have not come across that issue again.

I had so many darned problems the first day, I have been on constant alert for any abnormalities. This happened right after a reset, and noticed the behavior. Try it yourself some time.
    HS visor Deluxe (Blue) & Palm IIIx ► HS visor Prism & visorPhone ►P1 T|T & SE T68i ► Tapwave Zodiac2 & P1 Treo 650 GSM ►Treo 680 unlocked ► Sprint Pre(-)►TouchPad & Sprint FrankenPre2 VZW

I will leave Palm/webOS only after kicking, screaming and wrecking anything on my way out.

- (Sigh)... It died.
  15.    #15  
    Well, I think I found my culprit, although this doesnt sound kosher. It is Keyguard.

Whenever I have Keyguard active (under Preferences, the built-in key guard app), and the phone automatically comes on on-schedule (either with TreoGuard or TreoAlarm), I get the "No Service - SOS Only" message on top even though the phone finds a signal and I can use it normally. It seems to be a screen refresh thing. I tried disabling TreoGuard, KeyGuardTime, Tealscript, nothing helped, until I deactivated KeyGuard, and BOOM! It works. I reactivated everything else and it still works. I reactivated KeyGuard and BOOM! Got the SOS Only message again.

I dont know if its KeyGuards fault or some other app I have interacting with KeyGuard, but KeyGuard is going inactive and staying inactive. I'll just chalk it up to another bug and move on.

Would someone care to comment or test on their phone for me? This is what I do.

I have KeyGuard active (either in poweroff or in 30 seconds, but Keyguard must be active for the test to work). Set your phone scheduler (TreoGuard or TreoAlarm) to turn on your phone in like 3 minutes. Turn your phone off and turn the Palm-part off, and let it sit while you observe. Presumably the phone will turn on in 3 minutes, the screen will come on, and you will see the carrier logo and the KeyGuard message "Press Center key" or something. Let it be for a minute while the Treo turns itself off again (presumably what would happen if it turns on while you are not there). After the Treo turns off, turn it back on, hit the center key to bypass Keyguard, and go to your phone app to see if you see the carrier name (Cingular in my case) on the upper left hand side.

Thanks!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    277 Global Posts
    cingular branded, 1.04 update, 32k sim:

done exactly as you say, using treoguard, and yes it did say cingular.
    It responded as you said up until the carrier name part.
  17.    #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by JayL
    done exactly as you say, using treoguard, and yes it did say cingular.
    It responded as you said up until the carrier name part.
    Ratz!!! (I mean THANKS! ) Then I guess I have something else contributing to the problem. Oh well, I've spent enough time trying to figure it out. Keyguard is not that critical to me, although I would love to know why it does this. I'm just curious. Thanks for testing it out!!!
    Cingular Treo 650
    I'm using Cingular and my Treo is doing the same thing too. I'm acually going to leave KeyGuard on and probably disable the alarm, since I'd rather make sure I'm not hitting any key inadvertantly and can go the extra effort to turn the phone on each morning.
  19.    #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by geneld
    I'm using Cingular and my Treo is doing the same thing too. I'm acually going to leave KeyGuard on and probably disable the alarm, since I'd rather make sure I'm not hitting any key inadvertantly and can go the extra effort to turn the phone on each morning.
    So it happening to you too? Awesome!!! Errr, I mean, sorry to hear that, but I'm glad I'm not imagining this. What other software do you have loaded?

Correct me if I'm wrong but the Treo will only turn on if you hit either the power button, the green button, the mail button or the calendar button. I guess Keyguard disables 3 of those 4, leaving the power button (plus the extra tap to disable keybuard) as the only way to turn it on. If it turn on by accident, it should turn off in a minute or so. I like keyguard, but I also like the phone turning on by itself and getting the day's weather forecase automatically. I've forgotten to turn the phone on more times that I care to admit!!!

List your apps to see which ones we have in common and maybe we can find another clue. Thanks!
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    821 Global Posts
    no KeyGuard here.

I have the same prob, and even had the phone replaced by Cingular.

other than std apps, I have:
    Daily Record (Franklin Covey)
    Directory Assist
    ExpensePlus
    FileZ
    FlightStatus
    LEDOff
    PDANet
    Snapper
    TreoGuard
    VoiceDial

Other than the annoyance of knowing that it shouldn't say "SOS", I have no trouble making or receiving calls. I have attributed it to the ATT Cing merger and associated tower consolidation.....

...or earth-wobble