1.    #1  
    I have used a Sprint 650 since it came out but I received an unlocked GSM unit from palmOne on Friday to use on the T-Mobile network. There have been a few comparison threads so I'm only going to write about points that I didn't see addressed directly:

- The phone volume is definitely lower than the Sprint phone, which is the biggest negative I found. I would say that it is at least good 20-25% lower at the max volume setting.

- BlueTooth headset volume is louder on the GSM version! Again, it's about 25% louder at the highest setting.

- Battery life seems to be better on the GSM version so far, but I'll wait until I repeat my business day routine before I can judge it fully.

Although I like the unit a lot, I might send it for a replacement because of the earpiece volume issue. Maybe you either get BT volume or earpiece volume, but not both

I have seen a few people comment on the low volume of the unlocked GSM and I would love to hear from more users.
    Last edited by silverado; 02/21/2005 at 03:15 AM.
    Yep. I just today performed the same comparison among 3 phones: my unlocked GSM, the palmOne store's unlocked GSM & the Sprint version. Wow, what a clear difference in sound volume & quality. The Sprint version was great in normal mode and acceptable in speakerphone mode (still a little hiss, but nowhere near the "babbling brook" of the GSM).

I did not try any BT headset. GSM were both on T-mobile.

My 14 days was approaching, so I returned mine until they can address this issue.

The P1 store rep was amazed at the difference.
    My experiences are exactly like yours. I doubt returning the GSM will get one that is significantly different. I've decided that can live with the GSM earpiece although I do really wish it was better. However, the BT volume is a big plus, I can finally use it in a car.

Quote Originally Posted by silverado
    I have used a Spring 650 since it came out but I received an unlocked GSM unit from palmOne on Friday to use on the T-Mobile network. There have been a few comparison threads so I'm only going to write about points that I didn't see addressed directly:

- The phone volume is definitely lower than the Sprint phone, which is the biggest negative I found. I would say that it is at least good 20-25% lower at the max volume setting.

- BlueTooth headset volume is louder on the GSM version! Again, it's about 25% louder at the highest setting.

- Battery life seems to be better on the GSM version so far, but I'll wait until I repeat my business day routine before I can judge it fully.

Although I like the unit a lot, I might send it for a replacement because of the earpiece volume issue. Maybe you either get BT volume or earpiece volume, but not both

I have seen a few people comment on the low volume of the unlocked GSM and I would love to hear from more users.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
  4.    #4  
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    My experiences are exactly like yours. I doubt returning the GSM will get one that is significantly different. I've decided that can live with the GSM earpiece although I do really wish it was better. However, the BT volume is a big plus, I can finally use it in a car.
    Well, I guess it's "good" to know that my phone isn't the only one. This would save me to effort of trying to replace it. I too can deal with the volume issue if that's the best I could hope for

Please keep posting your experiences with the unlocked GSM version.
  5. j2_
    I also find the volume barely adequate at the loudest settings. It works for in the car, and in a fairly quiet office environment, but on the street it's not really loud enough all the time.

Also, I find the speakerphone nearly useless because it won't get loud enough to use unless you're in a very quiet room.

palmOne Treo 650 unlocked GSM
    Anyone know if there is a difference between unlocked GSM and the Cingular 650s (locked) regarding the earpiece volume issue?
    Quote Originally Posted by mhzimmer
    Anyone know if there is a difference between unlocked GSM and the Cingular 650s (locked) regarding the earpiece volume issue?
    I had the same "low volume" issue with the Cingular locked phone. I replaced it with an unlocked GSM unit and have been experiencing the same volume issue. I did notice that the bluetooth headset volume was significant. I hope P1 comes up with a fix soon.