Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 34
  1. SteveDu's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #1  
    That to unlock your Cingular branded 650 is thru the tech by giving them your IMEI code and get the UNIQUE unlock code. Of course that is the hard part but if you are lucky to get a nice tech, been a customer for a certain amount of time, paid the phone for the full retail price (don't have to be) and an nice excuse such as travelling and has prepaid 3rd party SIM cards and such.

    Here's what I did... I called up the Cingular's tech support the past Friday and yes they gave me my unlock code by "exchange" my IMEI code. I did not apply that code right away, instead I tested those posts claim that it's "an universial unlock code leaked by a developer". However, the phone told me the SIM lock has removed from the phone but when I swap in a T-Mobile it told me the SIM was not allowed to use in the phone. With the T-Mioble SIM in and in LOCKED position, I applied that universial unlock code again and nope, it did not accept.

    After I punch in the 8 digit unlock code provided by the Cingular it says the SIM lock has removed and yes this time it accepted the T-Mobile SIM and registered into the network in a snap and it can make and receive calls normally.

    I did a soft reset both Cingular and T-Mobile's SIMs were accepted. Even after a hard reset (For the science, for the unlocking and for everybody out there, heck ) the phone stays as unlocked.

    The attachment is the photo taken after the phone accepted the T-Mobile SIM card. LOL yes I did use the customized start up/shutdown screen for CDMA 650.

    I am just sharing what I did and what I know. Of course it might not be the only way to do this. I think everybody would appreciate for those who has successfully and tested their unlock methods share what they did and what they know

    Peace and good luck!
    Attached Images Attached Images
  2. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #2  
    That's great, I think. I can't understand a word you've written.
  3. SteveDu's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #3  
    LOL dude I... can't type when I'm kinda excited and lost my English?
  4. #4  
    does unlocking enables DUN?
    Treoing & Loving it
  5. #5  
    Quote Originally Posted by gt5l
    does unlocking enables DUN?
    It shouldn't. Two different things.
    ELR
    >> Drop by! <<

    Avatar courtesy of ButtUglyJeff!
  6. #6  
    There has been a lot of talk about successful e-mail requests for the subsidy unlock code being made to simunlockcode@cingular.com. I tried this route after multiple unsuccessful attempts with CSR's and got this response:

    For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.

    Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored.

    My question is this: Is this a new policy or if I try sending my request again do I stand a chance of it being read by someone else who may be more likely to send me the unlock code?
  7. SteveDu's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #7  
    Yes it seems it has been that way...
  8. #8  
    I posted this earlier today in one of the sticky threads:

    I managed to get my AT&T Treo 650 unlocked through Cingular. I got my phone in early February. I have been an AT&T customer for close to 10 years and have no intentnion of changing providers for now. I should also note that although this phone is my own and I am responsible for the bill, my foundation account is a business account from a very large corporation.

    I wrote to simunlockcode@cingular.com on Friday and explained my European travel situation (they could check my records and see how much I am over there) and that I needed the phone unlocked. I also mentioned AT&T customer support said they couldn't unlock the phone but had referred me to Cingular and that I knew several customers that had already had this done.

    The information I sent included:

    Name:
    Cingular Account Number:
    Phone Number:
    Phone Type: Palm Treo 650
    IMEI:

    This morning I had an e-mail stating my IMEI was missing some numbers. I corrected it and had the unlock code back within minutes. I am happy with the service I got nd even happier to have an unlocked phone.

    The bottom line is that you can unlock an AT&T phone but you will have to talk Cingular into doing it. I had no luck with AT&T Wireless customer service. Also, They do need to be comfortable that you are not just going to take your subsidized phone to another carrier if they unlock it.
  9. #9  
    Just sent an email, i'll post the results.
  10. #10  
    I had no problem getting the code. I simply called Cingular customer service and explained I will be oversea's next week and need the code. Cingular emailed it to me the next day with instructions on how to unlock the phone. I have been a Cingular customer for 5 years, and have more than 3 lines with them. Maybe this had something to do with it?
  11. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #11  
    Just sent an email to test it myself...I'll let you know what the outcome is as well...

    rob
  12. #12  
    Quote Originally Posted by creighton
    There has been a lot of talk about successful e-mail requests for the subsidy unlock code being made to simunlockcode@cingular.com. I tried this route after multiple unsuccessful attempts with CSR's and got this response:

    For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.

    Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored.

    My question is this: Is this a new policy or if I try sending my request again do I stand a chance of it being read by someone else who may be more likely to send me the unlock code?
    That's exactly what I used to get when I try that email. So, I camped out at tech support by calling them every day for a week till someone got sick of me and gave me my unlock code. It was sent by email, which makes that response about security useless.
  13. RobM's Avatar
    Posts
    477 Posts
    Global Posts
    478 Global Posts
    #13  
    Here is what I got back today

    "For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.



    Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored."

    Guess they dont repond to the email requests anymore...probably too many people doing it.

    rob
  14. #14  
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Here is what I got back today

    "For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.



    Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored."

    Guess they dont repond to the email requests anymore...probably too many people doing it.

    rob
    Well I got flamed a bit in an earlier thread, but I was concerned that if lots of people called in and made up excuses or reasons why they needed their code, what would happen is the carriers would start to crack down on everyone, even those who have a legitimate reason for the code.

    To put it bluntly, some people have been lying in order to get the code so that they can get something they didnt pay for, and unlocked phone. I am not a fan of the carriers or their pricing policies, but there is a reason for the price difference and it is because the carriers see value in having you locked to their system, so they are willing to subsidize the cost of the locked phones.

    Now don't all go off on how being locked to a carrier isnt really that big of an advantage for them and so on, the fact is the carriers believe there is a value, thus the subsidy. If too many people unlock their phones, the subsidies could go away and we will be paying the prices you see in Europe and Hong Kong for some of these phones. Alternatively, they will make it VERY difficult to get the codes, even for those telling the truth with a valid reason for having them.

    Like with the Sprint/Handigo offer fiasco, we reap what we sow.
  15. #15  
    I don't really see why carriers care if you are locked or not, for the most part.
    With a $240 charge for breaking your contract, it makes no sense to buy a locked phone and then unlock it to use with another carrier. No economic advantage to the user to do this.
  16. iomatic's Avatar
    Posts
    629 Posts
    Global Posts
    645 Global Posts
    #16  
    Ditto. It doesn't matter if there's a "crack down"!
  17. #17  
    Quote Originally Posted by midmofan
    To put it bluntly, some people have been lying in order to get the code so that they can get something they didnt pay for, and unlocked phone.
    Okay, time you get flamed again. LOL. You're not getting anything for free by having your phone unlocked. If you break your contract, On top of charging you $150~$200 for contract cancellation, carriers wanna make you miserable if you try to swtich carriers. So, locked or unlocked, you're bound by the contract. They are getting their money.
  18. #18  
    I just got off the phone with Cingular and here are the info that I found out:
    -in order to get the subsidy code, the account balance has to be zero and they would have to add to the account some international roaming codes??!! Not sure why though, but that's what they said.
  19. SteveDu's Avatar
    Posts
    86 Posts
    Global Posts
    88 Global Posts
       #19  
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    I just got off the phone with Cingular and here are the info that I found out:
    -in order to get the subsidy code, the account balance has to be zero and they would have to add to the account some international roaming codes??!! Not sure why though, but that's what they said.
    Dude ya know Cingular's reps are bullpoop artists... 0 balance and international roaming codes??? Come on Cingular... geez
  20. #20  
    horatiub, International roaming has nothing to do with unlocking your subsidy. You can roam at $2.50 per minute w/o unlocking your phone. That was just CinguLiar's way of blowing you off.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions