Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    she did put in the request though for the unlock code, she took down my emali address and my contact phone number and she got aproval from a manager. so, I think she did that, but.....still not sure why the balance has to be zero. the only thing that I hope is that she hasn't changed anything into my account that would affect my Media Works Unlimited plan. also, should I call back afterwards and cancel that international roaming or....?
    Yeah, I would forget about international roaming. But keep calling and constantly bugging Cingular tech support about your subsidy unlock code. They sat on my request for a week (it was not submitted to management for approval), and I was calling daily till I got it.
    another thing that was strange was that it was the customer care that took care of this. even more confusing but hey, if I'll get the code then I'm set. Still not sure why I have to pay my balance before my due date, but I'll have to call and find out I guess
    Quote Originally Posted by RobM
    Here is what I got back today

"For security and verification purposes, all requests for SIM unlock codes must be directed to our Customer Service Department which can be reached by calling 1-866-246-4852 or by dialing 611 on your handset.

Please do not reply to this email, this email address is not monitored."

Guess they dont repond to the email requests anymore...probably too many people doing it.

rob
    I got the same email. I called the nubmer and they gave me the code over the phone. I will try it tomorrow and post results.
    did u get it from the customer care or technical support?
    I just called the number in the email.
    Quote Originally Posted by horatiub
    I just got off the phone with Cingular and here are the info that I found out:
    -in order to get the subsidy code, the account balance has to be zero and they would have to add to the account some international roaming codes??!! Not sure why though, but that's what they said.
    I think that is Cingular speak for "please go away"
    Pilot 512 >PPilot Pro > PalmV > Tungsten T > T3> Treo 650 Cingular
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    Just sent an email, i'll post the results.
    I put in a Cingular 32k sim in my ATT 650 and it says that "This sim cannot be used with this phone: (or something like that) I called the number in the email and they said that I need a different kind of unlock code and they can't help me
    I just pulled this off the PalmOne website:
    "All AT&T Wireless Treo smartphones are subsidy-locked to the AT&T Wireless network. AT&T Wireless policy does not provide unlock keys to customers. There is no way to unlock a smartphone locked to the AT&T Wireless network"
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    I just pulled this off the PalmOne website:
    "All AT&T Wireless Treo smartphones are subsidy-locked to the AT&T Wireless network. AT&T Wireless policy does not provide unlock keys to customers. There is no way to unlock a smartphone locked to the AT&T Wireless network"
    Aboslutely, positively not true. I had my AT&T phone unlocked by Cingular just a couple of days ago. However, AT&T customer service couldn't do it. You just have to have a good reason for a Cingular agent to do it, like frequent international travel, and a good history as a customer.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Aboslutely, positively not true. I had my AT&T phone unlocked by Cingular just a couple of days ago. However, AT&T customer service couldn't do it. You just have to have a good reason for a Cingular agent to do it, like frequent international travel, and a good history as a customer.
    But when i put the 'foreign' sim in my phone, there is no place to put the code in, it says "this sim will not work with your phone" Is there another place to put the code, they gave it to me?
    Quote Originally Posted by westronic
    I don't really see why carriers care if you are locked or not, for the most part.
    With a $240 charge for breaking your contract, it makes no sense to buy a locked phone and then unlock it to use with another carrier. No economic advantage to the user to do this.
    yes, but the charge only applies after the 15-30 day buyer's remorse. prior to that, you're free to cancel out without penalty. that's why they're so tight-lipped about the subsidy unlock codes and why certain criteria typically needs to be met prior to them releasing it to you.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Spartanrob:

Here are instructions I received with my unlock code:

To unlock Treo 650:
    1. Press the green Phone button
    2. Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    3. Press Dial

I did this with the working SIM in my phone. I don't know if you can do it with another SIM installed.
    Last edited by emuyshondt; 02/23/2005 at 01:58 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by emuyshondt
    Spartanrob:

Here are instructions I received with my unlock code:

To unlock Treo 650:
    1. Press the green Phone button
    2. Enter *#*#<Unlock Code>#
    3. Press Dial

I did this with the working SIM in my phone. I don't know if you can do it with another SIM installed.
    No luck, still locked to ATT
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12