Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Sometimes I get text messages that are truncated. I suppose it's a character limit on my end. Is there any way to access the entire message on my Treo, or am I just out of luck?
    yea, sometimes it happen to me too, was using s700i beforehand had no problem accepting sms of more than 160 char....weird but heh....gotta live with it
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Happens to me often when I receive SMS's from Cingular. Apparently GSM carriers don't have the 160 character limit...when someone sends me a message over 160 characters all I receive are 2 blank SMS's. They are always pissed because their long message didn't reach me at all....wonder why there are inconsistent standards between Sprint and other carriers?
    am on tmobile, i think the problem is with the treo 650, had been using other phones before and sent and received tons of multi-sms before, never had this problem before using treo 650

previous phones that i used: 6230, s700i and some others...
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    I too am having serious problems with the SMS on my brand new Sprint Treo 650. I have a pagegantry@mydomain.com alias that goes to both my pager and Treo. The Treo keeps getting cut off while the pager gets the full text, VERY annoying. Is there a way to have long SMS messages come in two parts or something?

Some of these messages getting cut off aren't even 160 characters, it seems to have an especially tough time with messages with lots of blank lines in them. Is there a line limit as well?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Just a bump to ask people if they are still having SMS issues at sprint. The messages come immediately, but at least half of them get cut off WELL below the 160 character limit. At this point I have to come up with something because I cna't read half the sms pages I get.

Note the problem with cutoff SMS is coming via email to sms, not phone-to-phone SMS...
    Hi,

This is Kevin from palmOne. I don't use SMS, so cannot comment on specific issues. But, just for general information, the true maximum length of an SMS message can vary depending on your cellular service provider. For best results, however, an SMS message should be no longer than 160 characters. If you try to send or receive a message longer than 160 characters:

·AT&T, Cingular, Rogers, and other GSM providers
    Messages longer than 160 characters will be cut up into multiple messages of roughly 160 characters each. Most GSM mobile service providers limit SMS messages to 650 characters (split into several 160-character messages).

·T-Mobile
    If you receive a message longer than 160 characters, it will be sent to the MMS application, not the SMS application. If you're having trouble finding SMS messages, look in the MMS application on your smartphone. Note: MMS messages are priced differently. Please contact T-Mobile if you have questions or concerns about your account billing.

·Sprint, Verizon and other CDMA providers
    Most CDMA mobile service providers limit SMS messages to 160 characters total. Any messages longer than 160 characters will be truncated (cut off). They will not be split into multiple messages as above.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    http://www.palm.com/
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Brave soul from palmone putting his email address in his signature. Thanks for the info.
    Thanks, Kevin. I think what some of us are experiencing (at least with Sprint) is text messages cut off at less than 160 characters. I just sent myself a test message which was cut off at 115 characters. I assume you are suggesting that this is a Sprint issue, not a 650 issue, correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    Brave soul from palmone putting his email address in his signature. Thanks for the info.
    Kevin's been around for quite a while. He chimes in every now and then to help out when he can.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    Hi Ree Nigne,

To the best of my knowledge, this is a carrier issue. It couldn't hurt to contact Sprint and see what they have to say.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    My unlocked GSM Treo doesn't split my SMS messages into separate ones. anyone else having this issue?
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks for the help Kevin, much appreciated...

Ree - When your characters are getting cutoff, are you sending via a phone or the SMS email address? When I get long SMS messages from phone-to-phone on my Sprint Treo 650, I never have any issues. In fact, I will get multiple SMS messages if they are over the 160 character mark. But email to SMS is a whole different story, half the messages get cutoff and there is no set character limit to the cutoff. It can be as few as 50 characters, no rhyme or reason...
    Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Michaels
    Hi,

This is Kevin from palmOne. ... If you try to send or receive a message longer than 160 characters:

·AT&T, Cingular, Rogers, and other GSM providers
    Messages longer than 160 characters will be cut up into multiple messages of roughly 160 characters each. Most GSM mobile service providers limit SMS messages to 650 characters (split into several 160-character messages).

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

it is really great to have you here! I am using unlocked GSM Treo 650 in UMC network in Ukraine, and I have 160 characters limit on my phone. Please note that I can receive long SMS messages with more than 160 chars, but when I forward them, they are cut to 160.

At my good old Treo 600 I also had this problem after firmware upgrade to 1.12, but it was cured by downloading and installing two files from palmone site - something like CarrierProfiles.pdb and NetworkProfiles.pdb.

Please help as for me it is critical to send long SMS messages - it is perfect as an e-mail/instant message substitute.

Many thanx in advance
    I can deal with the truncated messages, as the idea behind SMS is quick, to the point text, but I have been in contact with Sprint regarding BLANK messages.

Whenever a Cingular message longer than 160 characters is sent, Cingulars server breaks it up into 2 messages, but something happens on the Sprint end and all I receive are 2 blank messages.

This is unacceptable!!

K
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi Kevin,

it is really great to have you here! I am using unlocked GSM Treo 650 in UMC network in Ukraine, and I have 160 characters limit on my phone. Please note that I can receive long SMS messages with more than 160 chars, but when I forward them, they are cut to 160.

At my good old Treo 600 I also had this problem after firmware upgrade to 1.12, but it was cured by downloading and installing two files from palmone site - something like CarrierProfiles.pdb and NetworkProfiles.pdb.

Please help as for me it is critical to send long SMS messages - it is perfect as an e-mail/instant message substitute.

Many thanx in advance
    Hello Vorozhbyt,

Unfortunately, I'm not with Technical support per se, and only point folks to palmOne Knowledge Library articles to help them resolve issue. That being said, it is my understanding that the files you speak of were to resolve a specific SMS issue. That fix was designed for those who could not create an SMS message at all, and the issue was primarily with carriers outside of the US. The situation you describe is somewhat different.
    As far as I know, industry standards still only allow the 160 character limit.
    Wish I could be of more help.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    Hello Vorozhbyt,

Unfortunately, I'm not with Technical support per se, and only point folks to palmOne Knowledge Library articles to help them resolve issue. That being said, it is my understanding that the files you speak of were to resolve a specific SMS issue. That fix was designed for those who could not create an SMS message at all, and the issue was primarily with carriers outside of the US. The situation you describe is somewhat different.
    As far as I know, industry standards still only allow the 160 character limit.
    Wish I could be of more help.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Hi Kevin,

many thanx for your prompt support. As for the standard, it says one SMS can not be more than 160 chars, but smart phones can split long text into several SMS and then on the other end to sew them together, it is called concatinated SMS. Nevertheless, It works at Treo 600, so why shouldn't it work at Treo 650? Last time, before these files were developed by P1, I solved the problem in other way - I put US Voicestream (now T-Mobile) SIM card into Treo, and the problem was gone, even after I replaced it with mu Ukrainian UMC card, so I will try to do today. Anyway, standard fix would be appreciated, as the more Treos will go ou of US, the more unhappy subscribers P1 will have.

Regards,

Vorozhbyt
    Hi everybody,

the history is repeating - I cured the problem in good old way - took AT&T SIM card, put into my Treo 650, and I have long SMS working even after I put back my regular Ukrainian UMC card :-)))

It is obvious for me that there are some settings somewhere in the Treo, allowing long SMS for specific carriers, and I hope the fix will be released by P1 soon. Also I can post my CarrierProfiles2 and NetworkProfiles2 files here if anybody wants to load them on her/his Treo and see if it helps. Of cource, no responsibility comes to me if your Treo stop working after this excercise :-)))

Regards,

Vorozhbyt
    Quote Originally Posted by Vorozhbyt
    Hi everybody,

the history is repeating - I cured the problem in good old way - took AT&T SIM card, put into my Treo 650, and I have long SMS working even after I put back my regular Ukrainian UMC card :-)))

It is obvious for me that there are some settings somewhere in the Treo, allowing long SMS for specific carriers, and I hope the fix will be released by P1 soon. Also I can post my CarrierProfiles2 and NetworkProfiles2 files here if anybody wants to load them on her/his Treo and see if it helps. Of cource, no responsibility comes to me if your Treo stop working after this excercise :-)))

Regards,

Vorozhbyt
    Because they were developed for the Treo 600, I cannot recommend installing those files, of course. However, I do find your work-around quite interesting. I have a better understanding of what you were getting at regarding concatenated messages and I'll forward your observations.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Last edited by Kevin Michaels; 03/18/2005 at 03:05 PM.
    Kevin Michaels
    kevin.michaels@palm.com
    Check out what’s new at
    I, myself, cannot recommend installing those files, of course. However, I find your work-around quite interesting. I have a better understanding of what you were getting at regarding concatenated messages and I'll forward your observations.

Sincerely
    Kevin
    Kevin,

Any vague hints about the rumored sprint update?

thanks!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast