Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    I am working on a review too. should be done in a week. like it so far. yes the memory sucks, and yes the contacts lists sucks. however, there are ways to deal with it even though the solutions aren't right out of the box, as with all devices.
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Bcaslis, very well put. There really is no perfect, bug-free device. It seems that the more features or functions are incorporated in one device, there's a higher risk that the device will have bugs. I had that in mind when I purchased my first T600, then the unlocked GSM T650, which so far has been problem-free. P1's convergance of a PDA device and a cellphone into one neat little design is great. The ability to customize it is a feature I appreciate, even though I understand that it increases the risk of problems arising (looking back to my Sidekick days with its lack of customization, this is definitely a huge improvement). Some of you have observed that there may be less apparent problems with the GSM models, particularly the unlocked ones. Who knows, maybe it's Sprint or Cingular's carrier added applications that are causing these bugs. Whatever it is, it's unfortunate that some of you are having problems. However, to generalize that the Treo650 as a product is not viable or to make it seem as though all T650s are problematic would be unfair. There are lemons, and there are those that are just fine. To state that those of us who are happy with our T650s may just not "realize" that there are problems is also an unfair statement. No, it is NOT just the FANTASTIC SCREEN that I love about mine. There's a whole bunch of reasons... and yes, I consider myself a power user. If you're unhappy with your T650, then I'm sorry... but please don't try to drag everyone else down with you. Just my "unbiased" opinion, in the form of a kind request. :-)
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
    Yeah, I'm starting to feel a little insulted too since I have no problems.

Hey, wait... this thing is a phone?

Seriously, I rarely use the phone features. I use data all of the time, though.

Tom
  4. hub
    Global Posts
    222 Global Posts
    This thread is like so many others. It is impossible to create a product that is just right for everyone. This is due to the fact that a feature that one person loves, another person hates. Anyone, with a lot of time on their hands, can pick a feature on the 650 and compare it to the same feature on another phone, then take a second feature and compare it to a different phone. The key is to look at the 650 as a complete product. Yes, it may have a feature here and there that does not work as well as some other product, but as a whole the 650 is great. Whenever you buy a combination product there will be some sacrifices, but who wants to carry 5 different devices just to have the best of all worlds?

Also, power users will generally have higher expectations than a regular consumer. My guess is that most of the naysayers are in two catagories - power users with genuine concerns and complainers that look for the negative in everything, not just the 650.

I have had my 650 since the day before Thanksgiving and have done a soft reset twice (don't remember why). I have never done a hard reset (don't even know how to do one). My friends will tell you that I am a pretty anal guy but I have been very happy with my 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by bcaslis
    Gee another one of these threads! I wanted to remain silent but a few comments:

To the thread starter: Why qualifies you to be the one who is unbiased? Everyone is biased about something. It's nice that you evaluates headsets, you aren't perfect. Your one experience along with your ability to find complaints that support your view don't give you the whole experience and don't make you unbiased.

To GWB: I don't mean to pick on you, but you don't own a 650 yet talk about not wanting to have to maintain it 24/7. You won't know until you try. If you don't want to risk it fine. But you can't assume that the views here are representative. I'd bet there are lots more people happy with this than the ratio here otherwise palmOne would be toast by now. Again, I don't mean to pick on you but I find this view represented here alot. Those who don't one but echo the complaints like they have personal experience with them.

To Tiffany: I love your replies! Hit the nail on the head.

Finally, a last comment. The advantage of a device like the Treo is the ability to customize it to our needs. That also means more effort than devices you can't customize like normal phones. There are certainly bad ones out there, those should be returned and replaced by palmOne. But alot of the troubles reported deal with customizing the phone. Deal with it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm not a palmOne devotee, as soon as device that's better for me is made by someone else is made I'll jump. But for the moment this is the best there despite it's various warts (different warts on different versions from my experience). If you want to take advantage of all the abilities you need to expend the effort.

A really well-thought-out post as always, bcaslis. Your points are very well taken. I do want to mention this, though...

For the lucky folks, hopefully the majority of you, that have the "good ones", you still had lots of restrictions and stuff. First, if you're coming up from the 600, you gotta jump through a lot of hoops to migrate. I mean, don't you thing PalmOne should have at least written their software so you don't have to delete all the old stuff? What if you still have that old TREO 600? What do you do then? And on top of that have most of the old programs don't work on the TREO 650 because of some obscure changes in the OS that even a developer like Jeff Gibson found with difficulty?

Then you have to almost beg the TREO 650 to take new software, gingerly add one program at a time, and immediately yank it if the TREO balks like a spoiled child. This is what you gotta do to get a functioning unit assuming it isn't defective.

Lesseee, what else? Oh, gotta get yourself used to dial delay, gotta dissassemble the thing to reset, volume doesn't stay where it should, and so on. Sound problems for some, although I'm not hearing that so much for the GSM TREO.

And then there seem to be a significant number of bad ones out there. 10%? 20%? 30%?

The point on configuring it for yourself is a good one, but my point is you shouldn't be able to disable the darn thing by making one stupid move. I got my laptop the way I like it without this much fuss; why should a little telephone be so finicky?

Sooner or later, I'll break down and get one, I guess, which is exactly what PalmOne is hoping; not 'bout me in particular, but that everybody will just give in for that "wonderful screen". They did do that right at least. I'd sure like to see them take a little responsibility for the other stuff, though.
    Just to be another voice of a working Treo 650; Mine works great. I've put many programs on it (ZLauncher, Datasheild, Backup Buddy, Kinoma, Firestorm, Money, Online, PalmVNC, and a couple others). I've havent had any problem with them. The only issue worth mentioning is the Outlook sync OLE ERROR. I had to remove my mail profile and readd under a new name after the conduits were installed. But, once I did that everything works fine.

The Treo 650 is a nice PDA phone for its size and features. The bugs, in my opinion, are insignificant compared to what it offers. However, PalmOne has the responsibility to resolve all issues found and not just concentrate on the next iteration forgetting about the users who have already comitted to an expensive purchase.

My sympathies go out to any of you who are having issues with your Treo. Maybe it is in your best interest to get one of those flawless bigger Windows SmartPhone.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    People rarely post in message boards that everything is going fine. They post when they have trouble. My experience with the 650, going on two weeks now, has been very positive. Nobody is saying it is flawless that I can see, but the 650 is hardly "junk". It does what it is supposed to do, and does it very well, for me anyway.
    Maybe we should start a sticky thread of people who are having a good time with their Treo 650 and if anything are only having insignificant problems...
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=73561

It SHOULD be a sticky. What's one more????
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by GWB
    Mr. Souf:

You might as well give it up. This post is pretty much typical of those who accept whatever defects. I have never in my life seen people so absolutely in love with a screen. As long as people buy the telephone, and find patches and workarounds and 3rd party ROMs PalmOne is going to sit on its a$$ and do nothing but say, "see, we done good, everyone is buying our phone and we don't have no steenkin' problems!!!!" There is another thread with the phone number to PalmOne's CEO. If you want anything to change, call him and tell him. For those that just love their TREOs, with the

fantastic screen,
    and a zillion minor problems that I'll just deal with on my own because
    I love the
    fantastic screen,

well, then, you have all you're gonna get....

Sorry...I've played with a TREO 650, and the screen is good, but not good enough to make the TREO 650 my 24/7 life's work to keep running just to have the screen. Yes, I know lots of you good people haven't had to do this, and based on everything I can find and make some educated guesses about, seems like there are about 3 or 4 good ones for every bad one, at least for GSM, which is what I want. It'd be my luck to get a string of 5 that have to go back after endless tweaking....
    HEY GWB...

Did you bother to read my entire post?...

Sure I said the screen was amazing.... But I also stated the Keyboard is amazing and the Form factor is amazing....I think these three things are near perfect based on what's avaialable today.

I also listed other things that I felt were better than the 600...

I also stated it wasn't perfect, and that I was willing to live with this balance for now....because so many features are the best that are available NOW.

Show me something else that is as good, and operational now. Even though the 6600 (brick of death) seems close, the three particular features I find amazing on the 650 are somewhat less on the 6600.

Of course there are things the 6600 can do that the 650 can't, but I traded off for what was important to me. Others will trade off the features I like for the ones the 6600 can fulfill better....and if you don't think Palmone is paying attention to where everyone goes, and upgrades their feature set, then I think you're mistaken ....

Many, MANY people, including myself have complained/suggested which features need to be available in the next unit to keep us Palm users...and if Palm doesn't do it, lots of people will be out of work why'll we migrate to another company that will provide us with what we must have....The best combination of features that are available in the market today, that are actually functional on a 24/7 basis.

I hope you find whatever device you're looking for eventually, I live in the world of TODAY... not tommorrowland. I don't think there's anything better out there for me right now.

Best O'Luck to you!...Champagne wishes and caviar dreams!
    Global Posts
    25 Global Posts
    I've had my Cingular locked GSM for a couple of weeks now and I haven't experienced any problems that I consider noteworthy at all. The worst problem I had was I had been using a Jabra BT 250 with it and I was annoyed that the phone didn't automatically transfer calls to the headset. I've since picked up a SE BTH-660 and the calls are now being transferred automatically.
    That's it.

I don't use the PalmOne Contacts, Datebook or Blazer. I've replaced them with Keysuite, which I had been using on my previous Palms, and Xiino and everything works great. This is the best phone/PDA I've ever had.

I don't doubt others have had some problems but I had some problems with my Motorola V600 too. Nothing's perfect.
    The UI is great. I am on the GSM side of things and cannot speak well of the Sprint version because there are subtle differences. The call delay thing and incoming call propblem does not exist for me. NO Ring, Ring thing when I say hello on incoming call.

Perhaps you should have stuck with the T600. It is a great device, refined, proven and tested. Not beta.
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    The problem is the people with the "good" phones don't list how annoying the UI problems are that almost make you want to throw the phone through the wall! The one that is really pissing me off is the delay going to call log, placing a call etc, (CDMA) and thinking that you didn't press the button hard enough and hang up the call, or dial a call you didn't want to! Ohh yeah, another annoying thing when i get an incoming call and it shows the caller ID, I answer then say "hello" then RING!! RING!! WTF? I look at the phone and it then says incoming call "No caller ID", answer again then it picks up!

The bottom line here folks, this phone is still in beta! This should have never been released in current state it's in. What we have here is the folks palm QA didn't do their job and kick the phone back to the developers to fix the flaws and the phone was marketed to Sprint. This is where my counterpart at Sprint should have found all these bugs and the phone should have been rejected and pushed back to P1 until they resolved the issues. Now how could something like this happen? MONEY!

Well I'm gonna say what the fanboys won't say and what others are scared too...

THE TREO 650 IN IT'S *CURRENT STATE* IS: JUNK!

I would advise anyone looking to upgrade to hold off till the problems are fixed, the T650 has some significant upgrades to the hardware but unless you have some needs for the features such as bluetooth don't do it, before you ask why don't I go back to my T600, I'm now stuck with my T650 as I've sold my 600 , though I don't think I could go back to the low res screen...
  13.    #53  
    Quote Originally Posted by specimen38
    Perhaps you should have stuck with the T600. It is a great device, refined, proven and tested. Not beta.
    Yeah, I should have, but my 600 is now shipped to Ebay's highest bidder, so I'm on the rollercoaster for the duration.
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by SoufSidah09
    Of coarse there are real problems with the T650, if not there wouldn't be a stiky on this forum about it, and shadowmite wouldn't release patches..

I never repackaged any one else's issues and called them mine, you need to re-read my post, I stated the problems *I* had and linked others..like I said in my OP, I don't have the major problems like daily resets, etc...

I agree 100%

I don't agree...
    Before completely bashing the entire Treo line, you may want to consider reviewing an unlocked GSM version. Without any Sprint tweaks or CDMA issues. I have been using my unlocked GSM on T-Mobile for over a week now, with apps loaded and about 5MB free. The only reset I have had was due to my radio not picking up signal in a low coverage area. When I turned the radio on/off, my signal came back and all was well. The only gripe I do have about the phone is that the call volume is lower than I would like. But I found that if I press the Treo closer to my ear, the volume increases.

I came from the PPC world, every possible combination and convergence device you could imagine. I also had an unlocked GSM T600 earlier this year. Got rid of it due to the keyboard and screen, with some random reset issues. I can honestly tell you, that my T650 will be with me for some time. The new improvements make this a very nice and easy to use device.

Since you do testing of devices, and have had 3 models of Treos in as many months, take it a step further and try an unlocked GSM. You may be surprised !!

Don't condem a Corvette just because the Cavalier is made by the same manufacturer.
    Thanks,

np
    Quote Originally Posted by yoskater
    Im on my third T650 and plan to return this one tomorrow and possibly get my money back. I'm getting a bit tired of this ****.. most of the people who have "no-problem-phones" probably aren't as "picky" as some of us... or just dont realize some of the problems.
    Sprint, Cingular or Unlocked GSM ??
    Thanks,

np
  16.    #56  
    Quote Originally Posted by nickp
    Since you do testing of devices, and have had 3 models of Treos in as many months, take it a step further and try an unlocked GSM. You may be surprised !!
    I'll give the unlocked GSM a try, it seems like a lot of the issues were addressed in that model

Don't condem a Corvette just because the Cavalier is made by the same manufacturer.
    I would never do such a thing! I drive a Vette
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    I am working on my review of my unlocked GSM Treo 650. The biggest issue i have is the tiny memory. The 2nd issue is that when a call comes in, I can't select answer right away. I have experience a consistent problem when answering a phone call. When presented with the Answer\Ignore option, the phone will not respond to screen taps or button presses to answer the phone. I can only answer it if I use the 5-way pad to switch from answer to ignore and back to answer. Only then can I tap the screen or press the center button to take the call. This is crazy.
    Sprint or other ?? On the unlocked GSM models, there is a user setting for disabling the touchscreen during a call. Is that enabled on your unit and possibly causing your headaches ?? Personally I have mine enabled so that my cheek will not touch the screen and activate something during a call. The dedicated SEND/END buttons work just like a normal cell phone, so it shouldn't be anything you are not used to using.

Just a thought ........
    Thanks,

np
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    That feature is on locked GSM models too.
    Global Posts
    475 Global Posts
    The problem I have is that the title of this is "UNBIASED TRUTH". how about "UNBIASED OPINION". Some things you think are horrible, others might not. There is no "truth" to you saying it's junk. That's an opinion.

And just because other people don't feel as intense about every issue you have with the phone, doesn't mean you can discount their opinions (just as you don't want yours discounted by your replies to people that disagreed with you).

I like the phone a lot. I never had the phone ring again after trying to answer (that sounds like some conflict - what do you have installed?)

I would also never install from my old 600 backup and hotsync that stuff. To me, that's like upgrading Windows 98 to Windows XP.. there are always issues for some people depending upon your previous config. Best to just start from scratch if you can.

The only things I wish were different on the 650 are: More internal RAM and a newer BlueTooth (1.2) and voice dialing from bluetooth.

Otherwise, I've had no issues with my 650.
    Sprint or other ?? On the unlocked GSM models, there is a user setting for disabling the touchscreen during a call. Is that enabled on your unit and possibly causing your headaches ?? Personally I have mine enabled so that my cheek will not touch the screen and activate something during a call. The dedicated SEND/END buttons work just like a normal cell phone, so it shouldn't be anything you are not used to using.

Just a thought ........
    I would hope that's not the problem, since it says right on the display that the touchscreen is disabled.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
Page 3 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast