Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast
  1.    #21  
    Quote Originally Posted by ash1348
    My Treo 650 is my best friend after almost three month. I have had no problem and I use it for everything that it is capable of and I can not imagine myself living without it anymore. I admit, it has some minor issues, like the delay on placing a call, but I got used to them only after a week after. Bottm line, you need to realize that like anything else in your life you need to make some trade offs and you can’t have everything the way that you want.
    I'm glad you're having good luck with your phone, but you SHOULD NOT be having the delay, yes you can adjust to it but it should NOT be happening and needs to be addressed, that's why it was listed as an issue to P1 on the sticky in this forum
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    i have no problem so far, though I admit that my phone has some reboot (cf 600, no reboot so far).
    I have installed over 4000+ contacts and it's working fine, except shortage in internal memory, which I need get it sort out with powerrun and msmount5
    Asia Pacific Traveller (HK based)
    fact: no such thing as a flawless device, if there's one, give me an example
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Look, I've got one of the CDMA models... and I wasn't happy with the delayed calling thing..it screwed me up, hanging up on calls and dialing calls I didn't want... the screen dimming thing did that to me too. As a dialer, operationally, my 600 worked better....but...

THE SCREEN IS AMAZING!... THE KEYBOARD IS AMAZING.... THE FORM FACTOR IS AMAZING!! The sound is better... The apps run faster (it's seems only dialing is slow)...just look at how much faster blazer is!

There are so many imporvements, that I'm willing to accept the call delay issues... I actually (like someone earlier in the thread) have gotten used to it.... I dial a call, I wait a few seconds before I press the button again, it usually starts dialing and lays to rest my paranoia. Eventually even that will go away. I even had reset issues until I discovered the 'disable local network' thread here... now I'm livin' large.

I'm very happy with the trade off...balance is OK with me for now... perfection?... well... I can wait a little longer for that.

I hope you're happy returning your 650.... but you'll need to pry mine from my cold dead resetting fingers.

Enjoy whatever you end up with.
    Global Posts
    451 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    http://www.dynamism.com/iduck/iduckwm.jpg
    Palm III -> Sony Clie 73V + Sony Ericsson 610 -> Sony Ericcson P900 -> Nokia 6600 + IPAQ 4150 -> Treo 650 -> BenQ P50 -> Motorola Q -> Treo 755p -> HTC Titan (Sprint Mogul)
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99
    TF'gF... they really are just perfect. You couldn't just choose one!?!
    As wolwol said, there is no such thing as a perfect device. Somebody always gets a lemon and somebody always finds ways to pick a product apart for various reasons. With th 650 though the difference between the Sprint and the various GSM versions seems pretty striking to me. It's a shame that Sprint rushed their's to market in an attempt to maximize their 3 month exclusive on the phone. bottom line is that the GSM versions appear to less buggy. perhaps that is just a QA difference between Sprint and Cingular, although it seems that the ATT version may be the least buggy of them all, which makes sense since att has always been pretty dilligent with the QA stuff on their data centric devices. Maybe there should be a Treo650 CDMA hardware forum and a seperate one for GSM since at times they almost seem like different devices!
    Siemens S46 -> Siemens S56 -> Motorola MPx200 -> Moto v600 -> Audiovox SMT5600 -> Treo 650 -> Motorola Q (14 days) -> Treo 650 -> Treo 700w -> Treo 750
    Quote Originally Posted by soulreaver99

aw....c'mon! the duck that i bought, has its plastic molding not smoothed out yet!
    to me, it ain't flawless/perfect YET

and after few months of use, trust me, there will be some discolorations on the ducks
    ANY free phone a provider will give you will just as good, if not better a job at making/answering phone calls. However, bottom line is this thing is still a PDA at heart. I've gone through several Palm and PocketPC devices (including the old WinCE 2.11 devices), and all have done something at one time or another to **** me off.

If you want a phone, get a phone. But if you want convergence, you're bound to have problems. Out of the many "problems" people have reported, the only one that I have directly related to the hardware is the bluetooth volume issue. Actually, no, I also have the delay in calling. But that isn't such a big deal to me. Crap, it's not like I'm calling radio stations all day trying to be the "13th caller gets these tickets." What do I care if it takes three seconds to start dialing? At worst, it's a mild annoyance.

Any reset problem I've had has been software related, which you wouldn't get with a traditional cell phone. I've had these problems since my first PDA back in the '90s.
    MaxiMunK.com The Forum That Asks, "Are You Not Entertained?"

Remember: "Anyone that thinks the Treo should just work right out of the box, shouldn't own a Treo..."
    aw....c'mon! the duck that i bought, has its plastic molding not smoothed out yet!
    to me, it ain't flawless/perfect YET

and after few months of use, trust me, there will be some discolorations on the ducks
    And it sooo didnt work after I took a bath with it! What kinda rubber ducky is that!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    And it sooo didnt work after I took a bath with it! What kinda rubber ducky is that!!

it doesn't FLOAT!!!!
    argh!!!
    it sinks!!
    I agree with wolwol on this. There is no perfect anything. If there was why would anything have a warranty? It wouldnt. Warranties were created to cover the *** of companies that make less than perfect devices so they dont get sued for doing so.

Any one who expects perfection in anything manmade (especially electronics) is a fool.
    “There are four boxes to be used in defense of liberty: soap, ballot, jury, and ammo. Please use in that order.”
    — Ed Howdershelt
    "A government big enough to give you everything you want, is big enough to take away everything you have."- Thomas Jefferson
    Quote Originally Posted by jeffhas
    Look, I've got one of the CDMA models... and I wasn't happy with the delayed calling thing..it screwed me up, hanging up on calls and dialing calls I didn't want... the screen dimming thing did that to me too. As a dialer, operationally, my 600 worked better....but...

THE SCREEN IS AMAZING!... THE KEYBOARD IS AMAZING.... THE FORM FACTOR IS AMAZING!! The sound is better... The apps run faster (it's seems only dialing is slow)...just look at how much faster blazer is!

There are so many imporvements, that I'm willing to accept the call delay issues... I actually (like someone earlier in the thread) have gotten used to it.... I dial a call, I wait a few seconds before I press the button again, it usually starts dialing and lays to rest my paranoia. Eventually even that will go away. I even had reset issues until I discovered the 'disable local network' thread here... now I'm livin' large.

I'm very happy with the trade off...balance is OK with me for now... perfection?... well... I can wait a little longer for that.

I hope you're happy returning your 650.... but you'll need to pry mine from my cold dead resetting fingers.

Enjoy whatever you end up with.

Mr. Souf:

You might as well give it up. This post is pretty much typical of those who accept whatever defects. I have never in my life seen people so absolutely in love with a screen. As long as people buy the telephone, and find patches and workarounds and 3rd party ROMs PalmOne is going to sit on its a$$ and do nothing but say, "see, we done good, everyone is buying our phone and we don't have no steenkin' problems!!!!" There is another thread with the phone number to PalmOne's CEO. If you want anything to change, call him and tell him. For those that just love their TREOs, with the

fantastic screen,
    and a zillion minor problems that I'll just deal with on my own because
    I love the
    fantastic screen,

well, then, you have all you're gonna get....

Sorry...I've played with a TREO 650, and the screen is good, but not good enough to make the TREO 650 my 24/7 life's work to keep running just to have the screen. Yes, I know lots of you good people haven't had to do this, and based on everything I can find and make some educated guesses about, seems like there are about 3 or 4 good ones for every bad one, at least for GSM, which is what I want. It'd be my luck to get a string of 5 that have to go back after endless tweaking....
    Well I have 4 GSM 650's and have had only 1, yep 1 reset. I think Palm did an awesome job, and yes this is my 24/7 device. (No I don't personally use all 4 - they are for the family).
    "The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not" Thomas Jefferson
    Too bad you are so the thread originator is so disappointed!
    I had to return one 650 due to freq resets, but the second 650 is doing quite well. It picks up a decent signal even in my kitchen where my Nokia would likely drop the call. I haven't been as adventurous with installing new apps because of all problems I've read that people have had; but I'll tread safely and add one at a time.
    So far I really love it.
    I am still waiting on my 128MB card from P1, its taking soooo long to be delivered!!!! I want to play with the MP3 features.

- Sid Vajirkar
    Unlocked 650
    Having carried a palm and a phone for years the Treo is a blessing for me, I have the GSM unlocked and I love it and the only problems I have had were caused by software...one I choose to live with just a little longer and if not resolved I'll use another software.

I also wish the volume was a little louder but I can live with it...I surely don't have buyers remorse and I'm happy to shed a device.

No device I have ever bought has been perfect or flawless and I've learned to live with it.
    plain and simple, my 650 is worth every penny I paid for it.....period.

"...he wasn't assassinated...that N***a was shot!"--Chris Rock
    --Just got my Treo 650 on Valentines day. Now my Sony UX50 and Nokia 6820 are in the dresser resting comfortably next to my socks Unlocked gsm. Hardware:A Firmware:01.14 Software:Treo650-1.05-ROW Palm OS:Garnet v. 5.4.5 ...in case you were wondering
    Gee another one of these threads! I wanted to remain silent but a few comments:

To the thread starter: Why qualifies you to be the one who is unbiased? Everyone is biased about something. It's nice that you evaluates headsets, you aren't perfect. Your one experience along with your ability to find complaints that support your view don't give you the whole experience and don't make you unbiased.

To GWB: I don't mean to pick on you, but you don't own a 650 yet talk about not wanting to have to maintain it 24/7. You won't know until you try. If you don't want to risk it fine. But you can't assume that the views here are representative. I'd bet there are lots more people happy with this than the ratio here otherwise palmOne would be toast by now. Again, I don't mean to pick on you but I find this view represented here alot. Those who don't one but echo the complaints like they have personal experience with them.

To Tiffany: I love your replies! Hit the nail on the head.

Finally, a last comment. The advantage of a device like the Treo is the ability to customize it to our needs. That also means more effort than devices you can't customize like normal phones. There are certainly bad ones out there, those should be returned and replaced by palmOne. But alot of the troubles reported deal with customizing the phone. Deal with it. You can't have your cake and eat it too. I'm not a palmOne devotee, as soon as device that's better for me is made by someone else is made I'll jump. But for the moment this is the best there despite it's various warts (different warts on different versions from my experience). If you want to take advantage of all the abilities you need to expend the effort.
    Main Phone: Treo 270/600/650/700w/700p/750v/Motorola Q/iPhone
    Tried but sold: Motorola Q/Nokia E61/700wx/HTC TyTN/Treo 680
    the rubber ducky isn't perfect, it won't work on a laptop with a vertical usb port. or a stacked port..

BTW, I've had two 650's, the first I returned because I found it cheaper (from palmOne and they couldn't adjust the price and told me to send it back and re-order it). Both no problems, and by disabling the local time, I haven't had a reset in a long time.
    I am working on my review of my unlocked GSM Treo 650. The biggest issue i have is the tiny memory. The 2nd issue is that when a call comes in, I can't select answer right away. I have experience a consistent problem when answering a phone call. When presented with the Answer\Ignore option, the phone will not respond to screen taps or button presses to answer the phone. I can only answer it if I use the 5-way pad to switch from answer to ignore and back to answer. Only then can I tap the screen or press the center button to take the call. This is crazy.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast