Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    ok I've tried a few backup utilities for the 650, I've tried backman but no dice, it keeps crashing. Anything out there that works with the 650 that is just as good as backman that will backup to my sd card?
    without a question, BackupBuddyVFS Pro 3.07...

Do a search and read the all the great comments about this software.

Here's the link:

http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...1&prodID=14301
    BackupMan has a new version available at www.bitsnbolts.com. There's a link on the home page about a special D/L for compatibility with NVFS. I have it and it works fine.
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    this is 1.52b5 it is an old update and does not work on alot of 650 with low memory

Fred
    I use BackupBuddy and BackupMan and have no problems with either. I have put a majority of my apps onto my SD card with PowerRun. I don't know if that is why backups and restores have been going okay or not. I try to keep around 8 to 9 mb free on my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnH59
    I use BackupBuddy and BackupMan and have no problems with either. I have put a majority of my apps onto my SD card with PowerRun. I don't know if that is why backups and restores have been going okay or not. I try to keep around 8 to 9 mb free on my Treo.
    It isn't considered workable unless it works all the time. How about you let your memory get below 5mb, and then tell me how flawless backupman has been for you.
    backupman does NOT work well in low memory situations.

Backupbuddy has been flawless for me
    I have 3M left on my Treo 650 and neither Backupman or BackupBuddy will work. Any ideas??
    Tina T
    MCP, MCSE, MCDBA, VCP

Sharp Zaurus > Cassiopeia A-20 > Casio E-115 > Psion 3 > Phillips VELO 1 > Palm V > Treo 90 > Treo 300 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > Treo 700p > Centro > Palm Pre > HTC Evo 4G > Samsung Epic 4G > HTC EVO 4G Shift & a rooted Nook Color!! (But still have nothing but love and hope for Palm)
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson
    It isn't considered workable unless it works all the time. How about you let your memory get below 5mb, and then tell me how flawless backupman has been for you.
    Agreed. This sort of odd attachment to a software with a peculiar blind eye turned towards its glaring faults really puzzles me.

I am seeing this more and more in the software world. I have used BackupMan, it was nice software for my previous Palms and I had used it off and on for a couple of years. (Admittedly, I have been a registered user of BBVFS for longer). With my upgrade to the Treo I tried out BM (heheheheh) and found it did not work. Saw what problems the developer was having, saw how they were handling it and moved on. Obviously not the software for me.

BM obviously has some issues even with the current beta. IMO, they are quite obviously show-stoppers. It may be fixed, but for now it is not, and thus is not a viable backup solution (for a good many). Yet, I have seen on this board now a few times people recommending it as a "flawless/perfect/excellent". Some who admittedly had never restored from it and others who openly admitted that you had to turn off your radio to get a good backup, or that you needed to move apps to the card to keep a certain amount of memory free to get a good backup.

Unacceptable.
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick
    I have 3M left on my Treo 650 and neither Backupman or BackupBuddy will work. Any ideas??
    Wow, if BBVFS doesn't work for you, you are left with some slim pickings. I have seen on this forum that some are having success with TealBackup, but I cannot confirm that with my own experience.

I was a beta-tester of BBVFS and have extensive experience with both it and BackupMan. What issues are you experiencing with BBVFS?
    Backup Buddy Pro and VFS work great for me.

-Sabrina
    Quote Originally Posted by thomasanderson

I'll do that just for you!
    Quote Originally Posted by techiechick
    What does BackupBuddy do (or not do)?
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I have had BBVFS fail on a restore, with no error messages or indication what went wrong. If it just skipped a file it couldn't handle, that would be bad enough. But it got partway through the restore and caused a soft reset. Had I not had a backup on the PC I would have been hosed.

I've had BB for Windows decide on it's own that it need to restore my Treo instead of backing it up, again with no warning and no notice. I lost a days worth of email and multiple miscelaneous updates as a result.

So I'd say NO, there's no backup solution for the T650 that's really trustworthy and reliable.
    Last edited by meyerweb; 02/21/2005 at 12:39 PM.
    Bob Meyer
    I'm out of my mind. But feel free to leave a message.
    Quote Originally Posted by meyerweb
    I have BBVFS fail on a restore, with no error messages or indication what went wrong. If it just skipped a file it couldn't handle, that would be bad enough. But it got partway through the restore and caused a soft reset. Had I not had a backup on the PC I would have been hosed.

I've had BB for Windows decide on it's own that it need to restore my Treo instead of backing it up, again with no warning and no notice. I lost a days worth of email and multiple miscelaneous updates as a result.

So I'd say NO, there's no backup solution for the T650 that's really trustworthy and reliable.
    That really sucks! I have not had the same experience with BB, quite the opposite. I know that doesn't help you, I sympathize...cheers
    I am sorry about your problems with BackupBuddy. I have had to do several full restores in the past few days, and they have gone fine. I keep multiple checkpoints in both the card and the PC, but I did not experience the problems you did. Perhaps there is some application that is interacting with BB in a negative way.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I am sorry about your problems with BackupBuddy. I have had to do several full restores in the past few days, and they have gone fine. I keep multiple checkpoints in both the card and the PC, but I did not experience the problems you did. Perhaps there is some application that is interacting with BB in a negative way.
    How do you keep checkpoints on the PC?
    Chris

Evolution: PalmPilot > Palm Vx > Visor Prism > iPaq 3955 > iPaq 4155 > Treo 600 > Treo 650
    I have come to the conclusion that there are no two Treo's alike. There does not seem to two people that have had the same experience with two or more apps on their Treos. Like in this thread, several have had no problems with BackupBuddy, while others have had numerous problems. The same is true with BackupMan.

This has been the same with bluetooth headsets, mp3 players, email apps, you name it.
    Just to add to this - I've restored from BM close to 100 times (screwing around with ROMs), and never had an issue. Most backups were with phone on too. Never had it low on memory though. However, there have been so many problems posted, I never knew if my next restore would work. SO, I have BBVFS too, and I rest easier knowing between the two that I should be covered if/when needed.

On a side note, the only files BM ever failed (and consistently) to restore were the updated BT-patch files...

No two Treos are alike - how sad is that?
    I've used BackupMan and BackupBuddy with success, though I've had errors restoring with BackupBuddy. BackupMan initially had errors in low or "fragmented" memory on the Treo 650. I have found v1.52b5 to be very stable however, and use it twice a day. It has saved my bacon several times.
    Bill Petro
    www.billpetro.com
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast