1.    #1  
    I have had and endless problem with my 600 in the year I have owned it. Not lots of different ones, just one annoying one. It is the ubiquitous "hum" problem. I tried the twisting the cable, I tried moving the cable, I tried aluminum foil wrapping the cable. That last one worked the best but here I am 2 months after the "fix" and it's humming again. I have finally reached the end of my rope and it's time for a new phone. The problem is that, as many of us have found out, once you get a smartphone, normal phones just don't cut it anymore. I am sorely dissapointed in the upgrades they made between the 600 and the 650. It hardly seems worth the money to upgrade but I just can't handle the problems with mine anymore. My one gigantic question that I couldn't find the answer to in the forums is this, has the 650 gotten rid of the humming problem? A secondary question is that given the necessity of plopping $500-ish down for a new phone, is the 650 the answer or is there something else I should be looking at right now?
    Whether its the answer to your quest only you can decide, but in my humble opinion there is simply no other device that converges the Palm OS with a phone with such elegance and power than the Treo 650. If you want to look elsewhere, you may check out the Windows mobile phones, but if you enjoy the simplicty and functionality of the Palm OS, Windows mobile will dissapoint.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photo for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    Whether its the answer to your quest only you can decide, but in my humble opinion there is simply no other device that converges the Palm OS with a phone with such elegance and power than the Treo 650. If you want to look elsewhere, you may check out the Windows mobile phones, but if you enjoy the simplicty and functionality of the Palm OS, Windows mobile will dissapoint.
    do we really need a 1G SD card, I know the price is attractive and I can load all mp3 there, however, we don't have the 2 in 1 headset in HK yet.
    Asia Pacific Traveller (HK based)
    I am only recently having either a battery issue/network issue with my 600 and before that it worked flawlessly. You can't beat the form factor of the treo but I did look at the Verizon 6600 and it really isn't that much bigger. However, after playing with it, you appreciate how easy it is to use a palm smartphone.

Good luck.
    Palm III-->Palm IIIxe-->Palm 505-->Samsung i300-->Treo 600-->PPC 6600-->Treo 650-->Treo 700wx-->BB Pearl--> BB Curve

Global Posts
    310 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by twohand
    do we really need a 1G SD card, I know the price is attractive and I can load all mp3 there, however, we don't have the 2 in 1 headset in HK yet.
    Just get a 2 in 1 headset from treocentral, thats what i plan to do.
    Besides that i'm sure you can find a solution if you find the right electronics store that carries a 2,5mm jack. Then just solder that to a pair of headphones. Sure the mic wont work, but then you could take it out while talking, and only use it for music.
  7.    #7  
    Getting another 600 is something I hadn't even considered fully actualy. I think it merits some consideration. The problems I have don't appear to be completely endemic to the 600 line and lots of people appear to have gotten the problem fixed with replacement phones. I've never taken this route because I voided the warranty the very first time I tried to fix the hum myself. It would certainly be a more cost effective solution to get another 600 and then, should I have to return it for problems, I'll have a backup, albeit crappy, in my old 600.
    That's my thinking ! You made me feel better. Thanks
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    Quote Originally Posted by HAND WOUND TREO
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photo for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    AMEN
    "They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    I will wait till the T700-750 or the collapse of P1 which ever comes first.
  11.    #11  
    Here's an update. I buckled when my current 600 just randomly reset itself to factory with no input from me while sitting quietly on a table. I got another 600. I should have done this months ago. There are two big big differences. 1) The camera is 10 times better than my old one. I used to have to make sure the picture was very well illuminated to take any picture. The new phone works much better in lower light situations. You can see the results here . 2) The connection quality is also much improved. Where I used to not be able to use my phone from the bathroom or bedroom of my apt, I now have no problems. And of course the hum of death is nowhere to be found. I can't explain it, I'm just really happy it's true.
    Glad you solved your issues.

For more views on upgrading you might want to see this poll
    http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=74519

For me I'm glad I upgraded and sold the replacement T600 I received on Ebay.