Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I tried it already. Converted a ROM image with the supplied dekstop software, HotSynced it and clicked on PLAY...and my Visor crashed!

Tried a few more times and it still crashed. Anyone succesfully got it running on the Visor?
    I got it running, but it runs slower than hell. Even when i overclocked it was slow and unresponsive. Its not worth the money yet.
    Of course I won't buy them! I'll just download the ROMS of games that I already have (which is the legal way to do it!) or I'll keep them for only 24 hours (another legal way to do it!)
    Actually, neither of these is legal. 17. U.S.C. Section 117(2) says, basically, that you have the right to make one copy of software (ROMs) you already own an original of for archival purposes. The law states that you cannot post or download a backup off the internet (I hope this isn't. Starting to look like. One of. Warman's posts) .

So, to sum it all up you can't get ROMs legally off the internet. Chances are like 1/1000000 that you will actually get caught downloading them, but I'm just saying that it's not legal. I'd bet that Nintendo will go after Gambit for making this program, unfortunately. Just like Sony went after Connectix for VGS, and like Metallica went after Napster. Of course, the actual emulator is 100% legal, but the ROMs are not. BTW does Liberty include Tetris? If so I'd bet my Visor that Nintendo will go after them if their legal department finds out!

Well, I'm off to play some Tetris
    Peace

------------------
    Don't buy from http://www.VSPS.com!
    http://www.girlandgeek.com/boycott/Index.htm
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000173.html
    ------------------
    Help a hungry kid by clicking on a button. No personal information required, just click on a button! The Hunger Site. Tell all your friends about it!
  4.    #24  
    So you're saying that if I have the copy on my PC, it's okay, but it's not okay to download it to my pc? If that's the case, then as long as the FBI doesn't come in when I'm downloading, I'm okay, right?
    [NOTE: I do not encourage illegal activities. This is a purely hypothetical question.]

------------------
    -Petro

Go to The Hunger Site and help eliminate hunger!
    All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    If you are wanting to be "legal" about the whole thing, then you really can't. You can use the emulator and download the few freeware games out there, but you can't technically play any commercial games on the Visor.

Will you get caught? I doubt it. But don't expect anyone to say it is "ok" to do what you are doing in a public forum ;o)

The Connectix Virtual Playstation sort of got around this conundrum by insisting that you play the ACTUAL playstation game...the game you buy in the store is the game you out into your computer. So, Connectix never really encouraged people to copy ROMS (you could almost argue that Sony did, themselves with the easily modified Playstation deck...which, personally, I feel MADE them the #1 gaming platform.)

I have little doubt that Gambit will be hit with a huge lawsuit once they get up to speed. It's a pretty risky business venture for these guys. Let's wish them luck!
  6.    #26  
    Just for the record, I don't have any GameBoy Roms on my PC. (I can't find any that are 32kb in size or less) but I think I'm not going to worry about it right now. I have plenty of games, and if I really want to, I can always pull out my old Gameboy

It should be interesting to see what happens with Gambit.

Oh, and by the way: FLAMES!!! (Sorry I couldn't resist! This is the 25th post after all!)

------------------
    -Petro

All you have to do is click one button! No catch, no personal information requested!!
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Sorry to be dense about all this (sigh-I'm far too old to have ever used a Gameboy) but I'd like to get some games for my son to use, since he's a Gameboy fanatic, and is always borrowing my Visor to play the games on it. It would be really cool if I could show him he could play some of his gameboy games on my VDX.

He's got a gazillion games and cartridges. How can I get the Roms onto my PC? Do I need some kind of converter box? Where can I get one?
  8.    #28  
    Usually, the easiest way to do it (though illegal in most cases) is to download it on the web. Go to gabit's website (link at top of this post). They have some links on their to get some legal games (I think they're legal at least!)

Good luck!

------------------
    -Petro

Asteroids and Tetris are the only games i have found that work with demo.
    even at 28 mhz its still fairly slow and choppy I am going to try at fastest settings.
    At 32 mhz it is reasonable but is just a tiny bit slower than a regular game boy. its decent but i dont think it's worth the 16 bucks.

[This message has been edited by WSGreer (edited 07-07-2000).]
    Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    You can't use Liberty with games >32mg without registering. However, there is no way on their site or at Palmgear to register. I asked Gambit about it and got this response:

PalmGear will not have the purchase page set up until a little later today. We will also be selling directly on our web site starting in one week, but PalmGear is your best bet for a quick purchase.

After purchase, PalmGear will send us your HotSync ID and we will e-mail you a registration file (<2k)
    The bundle will be available ONLY on our site, but if you purchase Liberty now, we will be able to give you the discounted Afterburner price when our order processing
    is ready to go.

11.    #31  
    For all of you pointing out that roms are illegal to get off the web, here's a legal alternative:
    http://www.bung.com.hk/porducts/xchanger.htm
    It's not too expensive, $29.80 US
    Here's a picture of the unit:
    http://www.bung.com.hk/porducts/images/xchange.jpg

Interesting, I didn't realize it was so easy to do :-)

------------------
    -Petro

Global Posts
    92 Global Posts
    Slow, yes, but I've registered just out of sheer admiration and respect for what these guys have done-- and on the first shot. Since registering and being able to play larger than 32 mg games,I've had no problem running any game, including Pokemon blue, Starwars. Some, like SuperMario Land are actually quite playable. It's probably a combo of the size (96k for SML) and simpler graphics or the fact that they are older. Either way, they're certainly worth having on my VDX. I'll probably keep Pokemon too, despite the size (2016) just for the wow factor.
    I agree this emulator is very slow. I am over clocking it to 32Mhz and it is slow as hell playing a demo game. The graphics are also poor. Seems washed out and the letters are hard to read etc...

The main reason I won't use it is lack of sound. You *HAVE* to have sound in a game even if it is just some beeps etc… Some games it doesn't matter as much but others are just lame without something coming out of that little speaker.

Also I never even played a real game boy so have no idea what that is like. I just don't do console games, never have. Nope I never played Nintendo either. I have seen them in stores but I think PC games are the best but that is another post 8o)

For me the lack of sound is not an issue, as the GameBoy itself has only marginally better sound capabilities than the Visor. Most games use simple MIDI for music, and when I'm on a plane or in a room with my wife I keep the volume down anyway.

I just wish it could do color gameboy games. I'd love to play Mario Golf on my Visor!

------------------
    James Hromadka
    VisorCentral.com
    Personal Website: http://www.Hromadka.com
    Liberty plugin for installbuddy now available at palmgear
    http://www.palmgear.com/software/sho...46&prodID=8057

[This message has been edited by syncro (edited 07-13-2000).]
  16. Rob
    Global Posts
    533 Global Posts
    Unfortunately, it doesn't look like you can run the gameboy programs from the 8MB Flash module, which is the only place where the big 1-2 MB games will fit for me...
    Hi All,
    Have anyone try out PalmBoy v1.0 on your Visor yet? This is yet another Game Boy emulator on the block for the Palm devices.

-Byron
    http://apollo.spaceports.com/~bodo4all/palm/palmboy.htm

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12