Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    I'm having this problem where my bluetooth modem does not let me choose a speed setting of more than 115200 from the modem settings. With EDGE achieving speeds ofter higher than that I'm observing that indeed my data download is capped at around that value when I use BT DUN.

If you try to change the max speed value of the bluetooth modem inside the dialup property pages in the dialup connection you defined, you can actually select higher values for example the one I'm trying 460800. The dialup connection connects indicating 'connected at 460800' and funtionally works, however data download seems to be still capped at 115200 which sucks. Is this a limitation with the Treo that can't do more than 115200 though bluetooth DUN? It can clearly do more if you use applications inside the treo 650.

I am using Windows XP.

Thanks
    Last edited by bartolo5; 02/20/2005 at 03:56 PM.
    I'm not sure you understand what you are trying to connect. Your connection is really defined by what you connect to. You are connecting to a modem. Modems are limited to 56K. The modem connects to another modem. I am assuming here that you are using the modem to connect to an ISP. The modems at the other end will only connect at something less than 56k. Setting the serial port higher than that will buy you nothing.
    Adam West
    adam... bt dun & hard line du modem r not the same. standard modem limited by slow phone line banwidth speeds... bt modem is virtual & limited bt bt radios (speed/bandwidth), software, cell traffic & signal, & isp/host traffic/speed.
    Quote Originally Posted by adamwest
    I'm not sure you understand what you are trying to connect. Your connection is really defined by what you connect to. You are connecting to a modem. Modems are limited to 56K. The modem connects to another modem. I am assuming here that you are using the modem to connect to an ISP. The modems at the other end will only connect at something less than 56k. Setting the serial port higher than that will buy you nothing.
    The Treo, as a "modem", is not limited to 56k. It's limited to the bandwidth of the underlying 1xRTT or GPRS or EDGE network it's connecting over. In this case, he's using EDGE, so his bandwidth can burst to be well over 112k.

bartolo5: Are you setting up your DUN connections on Windows or a Mac?
    Global Posts
    32 Global Posts
    JIMF, I'm using Windows XP indeed. Any clues?
    bartolo5, believe it or not using BT DUN with PCS I'm pulling speeds consistently around 256K. When I connect it says "115,200" as well but I don't believe it's actually limiting the throughput. I also don't understand why I see such high bandwidth speeds. I've tested using conventional downloads, http://www.testmy.net (1024Kb), and FTP downloads to measure my speed. For some reason using DUN with my Treo 650 I'm pulling significantly higher speeds than using Blazer or other Vision aware applications on the phone.

To answer your question, my throughput, on Windows XP PRO, with a BT PCS connection at 115,200 kbps does not limited my download rate because I consistently see speeds over 115,200 kbps.

adamwest, the speed limitation you are referring to (56K) is a 53.3333 kbps limitation set by the FCC. There are quite a few serial devices that are capable of handling higher transmission rates, such as an ISDN modem.
    Last edited by evilghost; 02/20/2005 at 04:37 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by bartolo5
    JIMF, I'm using Windows XP indeed. Any clues?
    Well, it could be that Windows is mis-representing the connect speed, and that you are truly getting more than 115kbps when possible. You might want to try a series of the very short bandwidth tests on text.dslreports.com/mspeed (5k) and see if you see any bursts over 115k. That will give you some empirical evidence that your connection isn't being throttled (or that it is, if you always see a max of 115).

I know less about the BT serial setup on Windows (I'm a Mac user primarily). But it sounds like you're onto the right things - the connection script and the serial properties are the key pieces in your control.