1.    #1  
    I nned to write some very large docs on my visor. The problem is that all of the doc editors that allow for bigger docs cost money (which, because I just bought the stowaway I don't have, I'm also trying to save for a modem). I know some day I found a hack to get rid of the limit in memopad, but I can't find it any more.
    BEN
    Try the pedit32 . . . still free the last I checked. WARNING: this is actually a serious editor . . . . Expect to work the brain alittle to get the best results, but you will be rewarded for your effort. Ooops!! forgot the URL http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/palm/

[This message has been edited by yucca (edited 07-11-2000).]
    pedit and pedit32 are good editors, but they are not freeware. They are shareware that is reasonably priced. Paul has recently released peditLT and peditpro. He is very responsive. BTW version 4.0 was just released. Give them a try. You can play for 30 days before you need to register.

How's this for incentive? the pedit series has outstanding keyboard support with esc commands.

John
    Here's another vote in favor of the pedit family of editors. Possibly the single most valuable application I have on my Visor and definitely worth every penny of the registration fee. For creating doc files, go with pedit32 or peditPro as those will save you from the pain of memo segmentation.

One other thing worth mentioning is that pedit is not exactly small. It weighs in at around 200K of RAM. Shouldn't be too much of a problem for VDX owners, but if you're not going to use it regularly, you may have a hard time justifying the space.
    To add my $0.02 to the discussion.

I too needed a word processor for my Visor and downloaded and tried several. PEdit was interesting but felt awkward to me. I tried Takenote and liked it until I tried a change all and found my Visor looping changing the same word in the same location as fast as the processor would allow - it also had a problem that caused AportisDoc (which I use to read with) to show everything at 0% in the scroll value regardless of where I was in the document. The last one I tried was QED and while it doesn't have the Replace function it does work very nicely and is less expensive than Takenote (which is just less then $40 and comes bundled with wordsleuth which I didn't want).

Based on this discussion I will try the pedit32 once again as I am heading off to a conference with my visor and stowaway keyboard and will do a comparison using pedit32 or peditpro one day and qed the next.
    Originally posted by yucca:
    [B]Try the pedit32 . . . still free the last I checked. WARNING: this is actually a serious editor . . . . Expect to work the brain alittle to get the best results, but you will be rewarded for your effort. Ooops!! forgot the URL http://www.math.ohio-state.edu/~nevai/palm/[B]
    Hi Yucca, I checked the link but I couldn't find the freeware version of Pedit32. Do you mind sending me a copy of it.

Thanks

BeLion007@aol.com

Al

------------------
    Stowaway is the Visor way to go..!

[This message has been edited by acajigas (edited 07-20-2000).]
    There isn't a freeware version. Pedit32 costs 20 bucks to register it. I'm going to upgrade for 12 bucks more to PeditPro.
    I started out by trying the shareware version of Pedit for 30 days. That didn't cost me anything, Paul just puts in a couple of annoying reminders on your screen. This has been the only program I have bought so far (I have 58 on my Visor, not including the installed apps.). Go to his site, read about the differences, and try out Pedit. Regardless of your present monetary position in life, 32 bucks for a program this useful is not impossible, esp. if you managed to scare up the cash for a Visor.
    Michael Walters
    Sorry about that. I don't know if I'm losing my mind, or . . . . Anyway, at least it is free to try.
    I have QED -- it works fine, but the user interface is not standard. Unfortunately, they decided to waste space on the bottom of the screen with these little icons, and you can't turn them off.
    Originally posted by John Nowak:
    I have QED -- it works fine, but the user interface is not standard. Unfortunately, they decided to waste space on the bottom of the screen with these little icons, and you can't turn them off.
    Try Menu, Options, Toggle Bar.
    Originally posted by potter:
    Try Menu, Options, Toggle Bar.
    My copy doesn't have that menu item -- thanks for the suggestion. Obviously there's a new release out there I don't have, so I'll download it from PalmGear tonight.
    [QUOTE]I'm going to upgrade for 12 bucks more to PeditPro.

Hey Bobby, I cant find a description on Pauls site on how pedit Pro differs from the other versions. Can you share? Also is it still beta. If so is it pretty stable
    [quote]Originally posted by ByinHi:
    I'm going to upgrade for 12 bucks more to PeditPro.

Hey Bobby, I cant find a description on Pauls site on how pedit Pro differs from the other versions. Can you share? Also is it still beta. If so is it pretty stable
    PeditPro is the combination of Pedit and Pedit32. There is a switch on the upper left side of your screen, which let you use either one of them. I found PeditPro the best Text Editor you could use in your Visor and if you have a Stowaway or Gotype keyboard I think this is the only editor that allows you the use of shortcut editors from your keyboard. Also you could inport/export text in palm doc format and regular Memo Pad format.

I highly recommend it to friends...

Al

------------------
    Stowaway is the Visor way to go..!
    I tried PEdit/Pedit32 and the PEditPro (beta) and found it worked fine but was bulky and had a lot more functionality than I needed.

I then tried QED and found that it works GREAT and has a small footprint at 29K. And it works with my Stowaway with no problems. It is $20 and worth it.