Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    Often I end up launching an application from the one I'm in and right now I have to go back to the apps menu and re-execute the application.

Is there a way (or app) that allows me to easily 'return to the previous application'?
    try 'Butler' - using the volume keys, one can move backwards and forwards to various apps that were opened.

ALMOST multitasking!
    RJuhl
    Switch5 also does the job for me. And its free.
    "Everyday is a Gift, A Blessing, An Opportunity!" - GM

Phone history: Treo 600, Treo 650, Treo Centro, Pixi, Centro again, 800w, Treo 755p, Palm Pre
    I also like Butler. Not only does it allow you to use the side buttons to go backwards and forward through applications you've used, it does many other things too:

Key Launcher - allows your favorites to be launched from anywhere, not just the Phone screen

Attention Grabber - gives you persistent alerts for voicemails, incoming calls, alarms and SMS messages as well as flashing the LED.

It does other things too but just having the persistent alerts and swapping between applications is plenty for me.

Here's a bit dated review (including the price - which is now 11.95) but you will get the idea:

http://www.treocentral.com/content/Stories/334-1.htm

You can download a trial here :

http://www.palmgear.com/satellite/in...2&prodid=52726
    Last edited by stevecccc; 02/20/2005 at 10:59 AM.
  5.    #5  
    Thanks all I will try out Switch5. I will not go near Butler - tried it and it caused a number of resets (and yes resets are probably often due to the combination of applications installed but what I have I like and it's stable and if a new application causes that combination to crash it's 'out')
    Let me know if you have any problems with Switch5. I still need to write up some kind of readme or FAQ. -Mark
  7.    #7  
    Mark, I downloaded Switch5 and I can see it when I look through Filez...but...how do I actually run it or use it - there is no icon as far as I can see.
    I may have messed up somehow though.
    Switch5 is a preference panel. You'll need to launch the prefs app. (I made it into a preference panel because users were complaining that my various apps were cluttering out their launcher).

Anyways, with a Treo 600/650 because there is no silkscreen area, you'll need to enable it using either the command tool bar (upward slash stroke... you'll need Graffiti Anywhere) or a hard key.

Mark
  9.    #9  
    Oh..how cool... I just found it

Some questions...

1) In the 'switch to previous' section:
    a) What does application to menu do?
    b) What does application to screen do?
    c) What does command toolbar do (what it is?)?
    d) Can you have more than one selected and what happens then?

2) Buttons
    a) On a Treo 650 what buttons are 1,2,3,4 and B?

Thanks!
    1a) enables switching to the previous app with a stroke from the application circle to the menu circle on the silkscreen area. since you don't have a silkscreen area on your Treo this does not apply to you.
    1b) same as above except the stroke is from the application circle to the screen. This was for Tungsten T, T2, T3 users who didn't want to open the slider.
    1c) the command toolbar is a set of icons that can appear at the bottom of your screen. If you have Graffiti Anywhere installed to a upward slash to display the command toolbar. This allows Switch5 to work if you don't have a silkscreen and you don't want to dedicate a hard key. If you enable the command toolbar options in Switch5, you see a left arrow (for switch to previous) and a left and up arrow (for list of apps).
    2a) buttons 1,2,3,4 are for the hard keys on your Treo650 (I don't know what the mapping is since I don't have a Treo 650. 'b' is the back button on Sony devices.

-Mark
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for making Switch5 and making it free. I tried it on my 650 but find the 4 hardkeys that are assignable in Switch5 not suitable because it interfered with other functions I've assigned to those keys. Is it possble to add a "custom" hardkey so that I can assign any key?

Quote Originally Posted by tamura
    Let me know if you have any problems with Switch5. I still need to write up some kind of readme or FAQ. -Mark
  12.    #12  
    Newtreo,
    do you know the mapping of the hardware keys 1-4 and B?
    I would guess the 1-4 hardkeys are the phone (green), datebook (blue), mail (blue), and phone (red) keys just above the keyboard. -Mark
    Quote Originally Posted by Tiffany
    Thanks all I will try out Switch5. I will not go near Butler - tried it and it caused a number of resets (and yes resets are probably often due to the combination of applications installed but what I have I like and it's stable and if a new application causes that combination to crash it's 'out')
    The new version of Butler is pretty stable. I was scared of it before, too, after it reset the hell out of my device. Now it is seemingly bug-free.
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 02/21/2005 at 02:54 PM.
  15.    #15  
    Mark, I'm sitting here downtown San Francisco. Enjoying a coffee as I wait for a friend to join me. I just got Switch5 up and running and I must say I LOVE it.
    I love the 'favorite app' feature and the 'previous app' is just wonderful for switching back to what application I got launched from. Simply great!!
    So here I am, browsing the web at Edge speed, chatting on Verichat, radio in my headset, checking and writing emails and when my friend comes I will take photos of her baby with the Treo phone - and if she's any later soon I will call her

How can I not love my Treo?
    Quote Originally Posted by newtreouser
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for making Switch5 and making it free. I tried it on my 650 but find the 4 hardkeys that are assignable in Switch5 not suitable because it interfered with other functions I've assigned to those keys. Is it possble to add a "custom" hardkey so that I can assign any key?
    What key were you thinking of? -Mark
    Mark, I'm sitting here downtown San Francisco. Enjoying a coffee as I wait for a friend to join me. I just got Switch5 up and running and I must say I LOVE it.
    I love the 'favorite app' feature and the 'previous app' is just wonderful for switching back to what application I got launched from. Simply great!!
    So here I am, browsing the web at Edge speed, chatting on Verichat, radio in my headset, checking and writing emails and when my friend comes I will take photos of her baby with the Treo phone - and if she's any later soon I will call her

Some people have such an easy life

I'm glad you enjoy your Treo. -Mark

Having a Treo does make life a lot more enjoyable!!
    Make It Happen!!
    If you don't, who will?
    Tamura thanks for the application but I stil dont understand how I make the "previous application work in my treo650.
    Quote Originally Posted by lghitis
    Tamura thanks for the application but I stil dont understand how I make the "previous application work in my treo650.
    For your Treo you can either use a hard key or the command tool bar. To use the command tool bar you'll need to first install Graffiti Anywhere.

- Install Switch5
    - Launch the prefs app then select Switch5 (should be at the bottom of the list of installed preference panels)
    - Enable the either the command toolbar or a hard key for switch to previous app.
    - Exit out Switch5
    - Press a hard key or do an upward slash (for the command toolbar). If using the command toolbar, you'll see icons at the bottom of the screen. Select the 'left arrow' icon to go back to the previous app.

-Mark
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast