1.    #1  
    Hi! I'm a month-old Visor user, and would like to know what 3rd party or additional programs people find most useful--and where to get them!

------------------
    dr.mitch
    Read my lips: ACTION NAMES from www.iambic.com.

Also Launch 'em is pretty good.
    AvantGo is a must. And it's free!
    It allows you to load news and magazine web sites into your Visor from the internet for later viewing. http://www.avantgo.com

iSilo and iSiloWeb is good, though there is a fee. You can suck a web site off thenet and store it on your visor, hotlinks and all. Useful for job related information.http://www.isilo.com

Some kind of Palm DOC reader is useful. A free one is CSpotRun from http://www.palmgear.com
    With that, you can read some free docs from http://www.memoware.com

[This message has been edited by Winchell (edited 07-05-2000).]
    Originally posted by drmitch:
    Hi! I'm a month-old Visor user, and would like to know what 3rd party or additional programs people find most useful--and where to get them!
    If you do a search, there's quite a thread on this in one or more of the forums.
    I went for Documents To Go (DataViz) and MultiMail III (can't remember developer).
    There's lots of great programs, but I vote for ThinkDB. It makes it easy to create your own databases that let you take advantage of a PDA's most important feature, its portability. So you can enter data and keep track of things in real time.
    There was a thread a few months ago regarding great freeware applications:
    http://discussion.visorcentral.com/F...ML/000726.html

A good read!
    here's a good third party thread.

(add brainforest and mapopolis to my post )

------------------
    matty
    the diplodocus is our friend.
  8.    #8  
    Hi! I'm weighing back in with my reviews of some of the titles suggested on this thread--thanks for the help!

Handscape--nooooooo! It crashed 4 times. What an intro to the world of resets for this newbie!

Games--the 5 pack of Hot-*** (tetris, hangman, etc.) is just what I was looking for--simple, easy to use and fun!

Diddle--OK, but how is it useful?

Runtime--same thing. . .cool, but for what?

Now. . .how about some suggestions on a STABLE launcher substitute for the Palm front page--any ideas???
  9. joe
    Global Posts
    103 Global Posts
    I use LauncherIII.
    I've never had a problem.
    BTW. Everyone needs datebk4.
    For more software than you could possibly use, go to www.palmgear.com. They have reviews on much of their software.

Joe
    Hi! I'm weighing back in with my reviews of some of the titles suggested on this thread--thanks for the help!

Handscape--nooooooo! It crashed 4 times. What an intro to the world of resets for this newbie!
    Now. . .how about some suggestions on a STABLE launcher substitute for the Palm front page--any ideas???
    yeesh... sorry. handscape used to work great for me. i've since switched to home (which is a DA), which can be configured literally any way you like (placing icons anywhere, and c.)

anyway, i was just reading about the new handscape and it does look to be scary. i was using the pre-color-extended-gui-mode version which was freeware. i guess they needed more beta testing before releasing this one.

sorry for the bum tip, doc.

as for something usable: i wouldn't suggest home for a newbie, tho' if you like mucking around with things, it can be great - have your palm desktop look just like your mac desktop (or windoze, i suppose). also.. i tried silver screen for a while and really thought it looked great, but it wasn't quite what i needed.

------------------
    matty
    the diplodocus is our friend.
  11.    #11  
    Originally posted by matty:
    yeesh... sorry. handscape used to work great for me. i've since switched to home (which is a DA), which can be configured literally any way you like (placing icons anywhere, and c.)

anyway, i was just reading about the new handscape and it does look to be scary. i was using the pre-color-extended-gui-mode version which was freeware. i guess they needed more beta testing before releasing this one.

sorry for the bum tip, doc.

as for something usable: i wouldn't suggest home for a newbie, tho' if you like mucking around with things, it can be great - have your palm desktop look just like your mac desktop (or windoze, i suppose). also.. i tried silver screen for a while and really thought it looked great, but it wasn't quite what i needed.

matty--no problem! I needed to figure out how to reset my machine, and fear is a great motivator!

I wonder if the problems with Handscape affect Visors more than Palm Pilots--most of the negative reviews seem to be from Visor users. . .what about it folks? Is this a Visor-related issue?

I saw the review on Home and thought it looked cool, but am trying Launcher III for now--mostly because its free!

So far, so good--it set up easy and appears easier to work with than the default Palm interface, which requires too many taps for my taste.

I may give Home a try in a few weeks, when I'm more confident with the Visor and have more time to play around.

Right now, my wife is yelling at me as I'm becoming addicted to Tetris on my handheld. . .yikes. And I bought this thing to replace my organizer!!!

Thanks for the help!

------------------
    dr.mitch
  12.    #12  
    Originally posted by joe:
    I use LauncherIII.
    I've never had a problem.
    BTW. Everyone needs datebk4.
    For more software than you could possibly use, go to www.palmgear.com. They have reviews on much of their software.

Joe
    Hey Joe,

What does datebk4 do that the regular Datebook+ on the Visor doesn't do?

------------------
    dr.mitch
    If you'll be traveling to Japan anytime soon, I recommend downloading the useful information at http://www.japaninyourpalm.com It's an AvantGo application.
    I remember how overwhelmed I was when I first got my Visor DX. Here's some freeware that are must haves

I use handscape lite (new) and have had no problems with my visor dx. I think it's awesome, although I haven't tried anything else.

handyshopper (grocery and other store lists) and happy days (bdays,anniversaries)
    are also very cool and freeware.

My favorite has to be avantgo and pocketchess
    I'd say AvantGo, PeanutPress, and Vindigo. Other ones which are useful to me are JFile (which lets you create simple databases from desktop CSV files) and PocketQuicken.
  16.    #16  
    Here are a few more software titles I've tried and some comments. . .

Vexed: I'm not a big game player, but this one is addicting.

Silver Screen: In my continuing attempts to find a replacement desktop style interface, I'm trying Silver Screen. Its my favorite to date (over Handscape, Launcher III). Lots of features and really nice graphics. Its the first 3rd party product that has made my Visor look really sophisticated visually.

That's all for now!

------------------
    dr.mitch
    Some of my favorites are:

Quicksheet
    Datebook4
    AvantGo
    BugMe!
    DayNotez
    TealInfo
    BigClock
    MultiMail
    AlbumToGo
    Proj@Hand
    HandyShop
    PocketChess
    Documents To Go.
    Hey Joe,

What does datebk4 do that the regular Datebook+ on the Visor doesn't do?

DateBK+ is a special, lite version of DateBK3, licensed to Handspring. DateBK4 is the latest incarnation of this marvelous program. The features are too numerous to list on this board. To name a few though: multiple category management, saved views, split screen integration with addressbook, todo and memo, ability to link appointments (and todos) to an addressbook entry.

Take a look at the program. The trial period is 45 days. The website is:

http://www.pimlicosoftware.com/

It is a large program (425kb or so). If you have the room? Why Not?

John
    A Doc reader program is probably the most useful - I use Qvadis' Express Reader Pro, available from http://www.qvadis.com

The twist is that you get not just an app for your Visor, but also Notepad-like software for your PC to preview, edit and convert your own documents to Palm format.
    Can anyone tell me the link to find Happy Days(for Birhtdays and anniversaries)

------------------
    I've become a visor junkie!!