1.    #1  

Hi
    I need some idea as to how I can transfer
    some of my files like text/ppt which exists
    on my PC in the C drive to the visor.Actually
    I am developing a application in which I need
    to transfer files(from PC) as records in my visor applications database.Do I have to write conduits? Do give some clue!
    Not sure exactly what you mean but have you looked at FileBox?
    Another app that is supposed to do this is Yomip . . . Sorry, but I don't have a URL for it.
    This discussion should probably be moved to the Developer's Corner.

Possibilities:<OL TYPE=1><LI> Write your own conduit. <LI> A desktop application could make a PDB file containing only the changes needed to be done to the handheld’s master-database. The install conduit could copy this database to the handheld. Your Palm application could then look for the sysAppLaunchCmdSyncNotify launch code, and then copy the records from this change-database to the master-database. Then delete the change-database. <LI> Find information on some existing file format and then write your Palm application to use this format and then use an existing conduit to perform the updates. I vaguely remember seeing a so-called "generic conduit" which several Palm applications made use of. I am sorry; I do not remember the name of that conduit. </OL>
  5.    #5  
    Can you tell me what is this FileBox?

See, I am developing an application in which
    I have to convert powerpoint files to NTSC file format( this will be on windows end) and
    then load these NTSC files into the applications database on the palm.I want to get some help as to how I will hotync these
    NTSC files into the database as individual records.

6.    #6  
    Originally posted by potter:
    This discussion should probably be moved to the Developer's Corner.

Possibilities:<OL TYPE=1><LI> Write your own conduit. <LI> A desktop application could make a PDB file containing only the changes needed to be done to the handheld’s master-database. The install conduit could copy this database to the handheld. Your Palm application could then look for the sysAppLaunchCmdSyncNotify launch code, and then copy the records from this change-database to the master-database. Then delete the change-database. <LI> Find information on some existing file format and then write your Palm application to use this format and then use an existing conduit to perform the updates. I vaguely remember seeing a so-called "generic conduit" which several Palm applications made use of. I am sorry; I do not remember the name of that conduit. </OL>
    How I can create a PDB file.Like I guess that
    it will be done windows end.So is there any software available which will convert my file
    containing data in NTSC format into PDB file?
    or I'll have to write my own code.Like I know
    some software which convert JPEG , GIF files
    to pdb files but not about file containing
    NTSC data.
    Secondly, I couldn't get your third possibility.What is the existing file format
    you are talking about.
    Shivad,

I don't have FileBox but have read a bit about it. What it does is allow you to transfer any PC file to your Palm OS handheld. You can not view the file on the PDA, it's only used to store the file. You can then transfer it back to another PC.

Are you looking for a way to view the PPT file on the Visor, or just to store it there?

Originally posted by shivad:
    How I can create a PDB file.Like I guess that
    it will be done windows end.So is there any software available which will convert my file
    containing data in NTSC format into PDB file?
    or I'll have to write my own code.
    You will have to write some code. How much, not sure. Poke around on developers.com's PalmOS section for information. My quick look found: <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Article: The PDB Format <LI> Article: The PRC Format (PRCs are just a special case of PDBs). <LI> Tool: pdbfile </UL> I am sure there are others, but the search capabilities of that sight are rather weak. I remember having seen some Java code to manipulate PDB files, but I cannot find it at the moment.
    Secondly, I couldn't get your third possibility.What is the existing file format you are talking about.
    The idea is that your Palm app would use a format for its databases the same as an existing Palm app that already has a conduit. examples: <UL TYPE=SQUARE> <LI> Putting your data into one of the built in apps databases. <LI> Using the format of one of the Palm database applications. <LI> Other. </UL> I then mentioned the existence of a generic conduit. Too a bit but I found the reference. It is called the "Generic Conduit Manager". I could not find it on PalmGear or Handango. I could only find a reference to it on ZDnet's www.palmpilotsoftware.com.
    Any ways, it appears to be used as the conduit for JFile, Dinky Pad, cbasPad, Pilot Money and others.
  9.    #9  
    Originally posted by bregent:
    Shivad,

I don't have FileBox but have read a bit about it. What it does is allow you to transfer any PC file to your Palm OS handheld. You can not view the file on the PDA, it's only used to store the file. You can then transfer it back to another PC.

Are you looking for a way to view the PPT file on the Visor, or just to store it there?
    Actually I'll be converting these ppt files into NTSC files (pc end) and then store them as individual records in the visor DB.Then I will have 2 options like to display them on TV(NTSC files) or display them on visor(by converting them to bmp).
    So I don't know whether filebox will allow me to do the conversion to bmp for displaying on visor.
    The most straightforward way to do this is to use Qvadis Express Reader DX (a desktop application) to translate your txt/rtf files, or the text-saved outline form from ppt files, into pdb form.

Then you use the equivalent Palm-based application Qvadis Express Reader GT to read on your Visor.

Get both at http://www.qvadis.com