Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DocGo
    Well, VersaMail is already in ROM so it shouldn't be using up any more of your precious RAM except if you have lots of emails.
    I use zlauncher to put eWallet in my card....just make sure you transfer the app alone to the SD card and leave databases in the RAM...it will still sync with your PC.
    Sorry; misled you. Intended to cite Snappermail, which is what I really use. (I am seventy and I drink.)
    Ok, since you pulled the "relied in part on your post" card, I'm now obligated to help

The fact that I'm using GoodLink and it takes 8.6M was just to say "I've got a lot of memory used as if I was using the builtin schedule/memos/to do/email apps" and still have enough memory for many other things.

Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Thanks. I must not make as many calls as you do but the log included all the calls since I got the 600. Seems to have bought me about 500K, enough that I can now sync the native apps but not enough to sync any others.
    Best I can tell, the call log from the 600 was stored extremely inefficiently on the 650 which blew up the file size when I did the first restore to the 650. Right now, I have 22 entries on the 650 and it's taking 13K - a much more reasonable ratio.

Best thing I can think of right now is to install FileZ - a free file manager application available at http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=9992 . It takes 170K, so hopefully you've got enough free memory for that.

Once installed, use FileZ sort the list of files in internal (not SD) memory from largest to smallest and then post the list of largest files you see. As a starting point, I'm guessing showing the top 10-15 files should be enough to start the debug.

FileZ will let you dump the list to a memo entry, so you can either cut-paste that into a post or send it to me via a private message. Hopefully we can figure out what is causing the problem.
    Forgot to mention one thing. After you select View and Edit Files from the main FileZ screen, uncheck the ROM selection in the upper right corner. That will make it list only the files in RAM (main) memory
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    Best thing I can think of right now is to install FileZ - a free file manager application available at http://www.palmgear.com/index.cfm?fu...=1&prodID=9992 . It takes 170K, so hopefully you've got enough free memory for that.

Once installed, use FileZ sort the list of files in internal (not SD) memory from largest to smallest and then post the list of largest files you see. As a starting point, I'm guessing showing the top 10-15 files should be enough to start the debug.

FileZ will let you dump the list to a memo entry, so you can either cut-paste that into a post or send it to me via a private message. Hopefully we can figure out what is causing the problem.
    Thanks. Have FileZ. Will try it and post my results.
    Forgot to mention one thing. After you select View and Edit Files from the main FileZ screen, uncheck the ROM selection in the upper right corner. That will make it list only the files in RAM (main) memory
    tomvb2000, you are the man! My hero!

I ran filez with the sort you suggested. Needless to say I found things that I did not plan or expect. Address and ContactsDB total 2M, about 4x what they were in the 600 but tolerable. Big files now are Avantgo DB, 3.5M and Mapopolis Words, 3.0M. Each are about 1.3x what they were in the 600. If I move AG DB it will not sync. I can get room by deleting M Words when not using GPS navigation. I am now syncing both Splashshopper and Avantgo and have 2M slack. Can run Blazer but must manage memory closely. Would like to put Snappermail.prc in RAM and data on SD so that I can start Snappermail from the mail button. [Cannot seem to start a program on SD from a button.]

In short, I paniced too soon. Problem is not as bad as it first appeared. Glad I hung in and appreciate your help and support.
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I use a program called"QLaunch" which allows me to assign programs/apps to the hard buttons. You can have up to 3 programs/apps launched per button depending on how long you press the button. It recognizes apps in the card (I use zlauncher to put snappermail in the card) so I use the "mail" button to launch snappermail.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    whmurray - good to hear it. Sounds like you are making progress in your 600->650 migration.

I too was initially very concerned I'd have to give up some of my 600 apps just to fit with the 650 memory architecture, but that turned out to be overly pessimistic. Seems like all of the posts I read before diving in just cast FUD. Not to minimize the 650 memory architecture problems (because they are a pain), but it wasn't a total disaster.

According to PalmOne, the average increase was supposed to be +33%, so your 650 AvantGo and M Words sizes seem about right. However, the address db 4X larger seems very much out of the ordinary. How many address entries do you have? I believe I've seen other posts from people giving their # and db size - that might help figure out whether 4X is typical or not. Are you sure there aren't unintended duplicate entries? Might also check Tasks and Calendar for similar issues.

Don't think AG allows you to put the db on the SD card (and still sync) - if it did, I'd probably use it. Don't remember if it allows this, but if it can get updates wirelessly, that would remove the need to hotsync (Vindigo does this). You might look into using zLauncher since it allows you to store the app and db on the SD card and copy it to memory only when you want to run it (as long as you have enough free mem to run the app). That would probably work perfectly for M Words. For AG, the workaround would be to copy it to RAM just before a hotsync, and then move it back to the SD card. Not a pretty workaround, but functional if wireless update isn't available.
    PowerRun may be a zLauncher alternative. I have ZL, so I don't know for sure.
    LauncherX will work here, and the center button issue has a fix posted on over at the Treo Utilities forum.

See http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...ad.php?t=75661

I implemented the fix myself -so far so good!!
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    PowerRun may be a zLauncher alternative. I have ZL, so I don't know for sure.
    PowerRun is a good alternative to Zlauncher but I kinda like the ZL interface (tabs, etc) and it can also work as a file manager. Some programs run better with ZL, others with PRPRPR $so$ $I$ $have$ $both$.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Sorry, should've mentioned LauncherX - forgot
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have Snappermail but not enough room for it. Cannot afford to replicate Versamail; Cannot afford to keep Versamail data in RAM. Seems like Hobson's choice.
    Can you delete Versamail? I never use it. It annoys me that my agenda screen always says "Versamail not set up yet".. can I somehow get my Snappermail to show up here? I see it listed on Uninstall Mgr, but I'm
    chicken to delete it. There's a bunch of other crap I'd like to delete also.
    (Like auto sprint software/sounds/ringers downloaders, etc...)

On to the topic of SD cards...
    Am I right in understanding that apps run off the SD card by copying onto the internal memory just prior to launching? How does this save anything? You still need to keep enough free space on your internal memory, no?

Also, there is a medical drug program called ePocrates, it AutoUpdates,
    I think similar to AvantGo... it's huge bloat.. about 6-7mb, but it's handy.
    Any ideas on how to make it work off of an SD card?

As always, THANKS!!
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    I want to put MP3 on my new 1gb SD card using a USB card reader.
    How do I put it on there? I will probably be using pTunes.

On that subject, is there any specific file-tree or directory structure
    for the Treo 650? It seems like it creates a directory tree for docs,
    pics, etc.. If I just put the MP3 or pics or videos anywhere on the
    card, will the apps find them?

Thanks...
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by UroTreo
    Also, there is a medical drug program called ePocrates, it AutoUpdates,
    I think similar to AvantGo... it's huge bloat.. about 6-7mb, but it's handy.
    Any ideas on how to make it work off of an SD card?

As always, THANKS!!
    I had to give up epocrates because it is truly a bloatware...now have 13MB of free memory reclaimed (was having dangerously low RAM of 2-3MB when epocrates was still in my Treo 650). I have asked the makers of epocrates so many times to make their program SD friendly but they always said it will not sync properly. I now use Lexi-Complete which is SD friendly and has updating of databases during hotsync.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Can you delete Versamail? I never use it. It annoys me that my agenda screen always says "Versamail not set up yet".. can I somehow get my Snappermail to show up here? I see it listed on Uninstall Mgr, but I'm
    chicken to delete it. There's a bunch of other crap I'd like to delete also.
    (Like auto sprint software/sounds/ringers downloaders, etc...)
    My Understanding is that VersaMail is a "native appl" for the 650, is in ROM, and cannot be deleted.

On to the topic of SD cards...
    Am I right in understanding that apps run off the SD card by copying onto the internal memory just prior to launching?
    That is my understanding.

How does this save anything?
    It permits you to serially reuse scarce RAM. For example, assume that one has two applications, 3M each, but only 4M of RAM; one can run each. Remember that, since PalmOS is a single task operating system, only the active program (and the data that one wants to synchronize) must be in RAM.

You still need to keep enough free space on your internal memory, no?
    Yes, but only enough for the biggest program rather than enough for all of them.

Also, there is a medical drug program called ePocrates, it AutoUpdates, I think similar to AvantGo... it's huge bloat.. about 6-7mb, but it's handy. Any ideas on how to make it work off of an SD card?
    As noted, a DB file is a monolith; if it is is to be updated via a sync, it must all be in RAM and the program that uses the DB must be in RAM when in use.

One might manually manage the DB into and out of the scarce RAM. For example, one can achieve a little slack by moving the Avantgo DB to SD while not in use but move it back to sync.

In any case, one needs a program like Zlauncher or LauncherX to move and use things on the SD. For example, LauncherX puts a specially marked icon on the "home" page for each prc file in its directory on the SD card. If one clicks on one of these icons, LauncherX will move the program to RAM and open it; when the program is closed, LauncherX will reclaim the RAM. For many programs, this process is almost transparent; slight increase in the time required to start the program.

As always, THANKS!!
    UroTreo - don't believe you can delete VersaMail without modifying the rom. Although enterprising people have done it, modifying the rom is not something trivial or without risk. It's very annoying Palm forces us to waste precious memory on such a crappy program.

Sorry, you can't delete GetBC or Downloads since they are also rom apps. Luckily they don't take much space. You could always recategorize them to get them out of normal view.

Your understanding of "apps running off SD cards" is correct. You do need to have enough free memory to run the app, but once you are done with it, the app is deleted from main memory (it's remains on the card) so the main memory can be used for something else. I have a little more than 40MB in apps and data on the SD card, so in a (very generalized) sense I can run ~72MB of stuff (40 SD+32 main) on a 32MB machine. That's the value.

Your MP3s go in the \AUDIO folder on the SD card. Still pics go in \DCIM and videos in \VIDEO
    Global Posts
    64 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by aprasad
    Noob dumbo question: The standard Treo launcher allows you to copy applications to the card (and then delete it from the RAM). I have moved Acrobat reader, Docs to go this way, freeing up 10 MB RAM.

What's the need for Powerrun or Zlauncher?

Aloke
    I'm interested in the answer to this "noob" question too. Since you can copy apps to the SD card from the default App launcher, why is a different launcher needed?
    Quote Originally Posted by jknuckey
    why is a different launcher needed?
    My reason: tabbed categories. See this post. Could I live w/o it? Definately. Do I find it more convenient than the drop down category list? Definately. Just a matter of preference.
    - Dan Butterfield (dan@butterfields.net)
    Hi,

Anyone tried LinkStart yet? Looks like PowerRun and then some, and the base version is freeware.

Might give it a go on the weekend, but would be interested to hear of anyone else's experiences with it.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Global Posts
    129 Global Posts
    UroTreo - don't believe you can delete VersaMail without modifying the rom. Although enterprising people have done it, modifying the rom is not something trivial or without risk. It's very annoying Palm forces us to waste precious memory on such a crappy program.

Sorry, you can't delete GetBC or Downloads since they are also rom apps. Luckily they don't take much space. You could always recategorize them to get them out of normal view.

Your understanding of "apps running off SD cards" is correct. You do need to have enough free memory to run the app, but once you are done with it, the app is deleted from main memory (it's remains on the card) so the main memory can be used for something else. I have a little more than 40MB in apps and data on the SD card, so in a (very generalized) sense I can run ~72MB of stuff (40 SD+32 main) on a 32MB machine. That's the value.

Your MP3s go in the \AUDIO folder on the SD card. Still pics go in \DCIM and videos in \VIDEO
    THANKS TOMVB AND EVERYONE ELSE.. YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!

Ok.. that \AUDIO is the full path? It's not something weird like..
    \Palm\HotsycID\AUDIO ???

DocGo..Where do I find this Lexi-Drug resource?

What is so special about DateBk5 ?? The Icons? I may delete it unless
    someone can open my eyes to the wonders of DateBk5 over the standard
    Calendar. With Epocrates now on my internal, I have ONLY ~ 4MB free!!

Finally... what exactly does Power Run do? Do I need it?
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast