Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1.    #41  
    Quote Originally Posted by markyoung04
    ...but I would really consider Megalauncher over PowerRun - especially if you use ereader.
    I have PowerRun working right now and my T650 is pretty stable, so I'm afraid to go moving stuff around again. Like the old saying goes, "If it ain't broken..."

Since you did mention using ereader, how do you like it? I read short news articles and stuff on my Treo, but I can't imagine reading a whole book on that screen. Doesn't it give you a headache? Or do you mess around with the fonts and stuff to make it easier on the eyes?

Thanks
    Apple iPhone 8GB
    Apple 15" Macbook Pro 2.33 Ghz C2D
    Retired Treo 650
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I haven't tried LauncherX yet, only ZLauncher and PowerRun. I got rid of ZLauncher and am now using PowerRun. I'll have to look into ZLauncher.
    LauncherX does not respond properly to the 5-way button on the 650. I am on ver 1.1. Is there a later version for the 650?
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    LauncherX works for this purpose; however, you can't use the center button to select the app you want to run. Developer is working on this......
    Thanks. That is my problem.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacUser
    I have PowerRun working right now and my T650 is pretty stable,...
    Must be wonderful. Mine is so unstable, I would go back to my 600 if I only knew how. Not only will Avantgo not sync but thinking about it will cause a reset.
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    Got my Shiny New Treo 650 (unlocked) on Valentine's Day. Love at first reset.

If you always do what you always did, you'll always get what you always got.
    You are kidding, right? I am unable to do almost anything I have always done. The 650 my be a wonderful machine for new users but a disaster for old ones.
    Quote Originally Posted by whmurray
    Must be wonderful. Mine is so unstable, I would go back to my 600 if I only knew how. Not only will Avantgo not sync but thinking about it will cause a reset.
    Isn't stuff that syncs and uses conduits NOT supposed to be moved to the card with Powerrun, etc.?
    I ended up with PowerRun and ZLauncher. I would have just stuck with just ZLauncher, but it had this weird behavior with apps stored on the SD Card. It would copy back the app after it was completed. Not just the ancillary files (PDB, etc) but the executable itself. This made large apps very painful. Neither the default palm launcher or PowerRun did this. It would even happen with apps stored in /Palm/Launcher (The default palm location)
    The example is:
    1. Start Audible.
    2. ZLauncher shows the launching dialog
    3. Audible runs like normal
    4. Press the home button
    5. ZLauncher now shows the "Saving app dialog" for audible.prc
    I wrote zzTechs and the reply was that this is simply how the T650 works. Funny thing is that the default launcher doesn't work the same way... Hrm.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Isn't stuff that syncs and uses conduits NOT supposed to be moved to the card with Powerrun, etc.?
    True. However, it is not on a card. There simply is no ram. I have nothing in ram except the native PIM apps and there is no room for anything else. I have pared contacts by a third.
    True. However, it is not on a card. There simply is no ram. I have nothing in ram except the native PIM apps and there is no room for anything else. I have pared contacts by a third.
    How many contacts/cal entries do you have if there is NOTHING ELSE in RAM???
    Thanks. That is my problem.
    Although LauncherX does not respond to the 5 way like it did with the 600 you can still select apps by typing the first letter of the app you want to launch and launcherX will focus on it than press the return key to launch it. If you have more than one app that starts with the same letter, once LX focuses on the first one, than you can navigate to the right one or anyone for that matter with the 5-way and hit the return key to select it.
    T750 w/Cingular
    Black Jawbone
    OK. I installed zLauncher, it seems pretty cool. But does it save the memory like PowerRun does?
    Zlauncher does help to save memory just like the other programs that move applications to the SD card. Zlauncher seems to allow more customization than the others and is my favorite since it allows me to configure my palm to look like the Apple OS X operating system. It is a program that does require people to read the instructions to unlock its full potential. I haven't had any problems with it.

In my experience, a lot of people have little RAM because they installed DocsToGo. DocsToGo cannot be moved to the SD card via zlauncher or any other launcher program. The only way to move it to the SD card properly is to use the free application from www.dataviz.com. It saved me 9 megs of ram.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    How many contacts/cal entries do you have if there is NOTHING ELSE in RAM???
    I pared it from 2800 to about 1900.

From my perspective, the memory problem borders on the tragic. After moving all my applications to the SD card and paring my contacts by a third and after careful consideration, I finally synched my applications. However, after doing so, I no longer have enough RAM left to browse the web. Worse than that, I no longer have enough to do another hot synch. Of course, none of the applications that are not in ram, e.g., splash-shopper, versa-mail, Avantgo, or e-wallet will sync at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for me to get back to the 600?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by spartanrob
    OK. I installed zLauncher, it seems pretty cool. But does it save the memory like PowerRun does?
    It works like PowerRun. I have both in my 650 because some programs run better with zlauncher and others with PowerRun.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    I pared it from 2800 to about 1900.

From my perspective, the memory problem borders on the tragic. After moving all my applications to the SD card and paring my contacts by a third and after careful consideration, I finally synched my applications. However, after doing so, I no longer have enough RAM left to browse the web. Worse than that, I no longer have enough to do another hot synch. Of course, none of the applications that are not in ram, e.g., splash-shopper, versa-mail, Avantgo, or e-wallet will sync at all.

Does anyone have any ideas? Is it possible for me to get back to the 600?
    Well, VersaMail is already in ROM so it shouldn't be using up any more of your precious RAM except if you have lots of emails.
    I use zlauncher to put eWallet in my card....just make sure you transfer the app alone to the SD card and leave databases in the RAM...it will still sync with your PC.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Another great way to save some of the precious RAM memory is to get SnapperMail and store old emails on the SD card.
    whmurray - would you mind posting what non-native apps you have installed? I'm thinking it might help debug the problem. Initially, I was also very concerned with being able to migrate from the 600 to the 650 due to the NVFS memory architecture, but am happy to say it's worked out very well for me (see http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=182).

Unfortunately, I don't use the native Contacts/Schedule/To Do/Memos apps, so I don't have experience with those on the 650 (I use GoodLink which takes up 8.6M of space to supply that functionality).

You might also look at your PhoneCallDb file - especially if it was moved from the 600. It started at 3.6M on the 650 until I purged it. The only other thing I can think of is there might be some other 600 stuff you don't need anymore (e.g. the Mail program db).

Does anyone know an app that will dump the list of in-memory files (with their sizes) to a memo entry. It would definitely help debug these kinds of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by tomvb2000
    whmurray - would you mind posting what non-native apps you have installed?
    I do not have any. I have just run the memory to be sure. I did find a couple of ebooks and have moved them to SD. In preparation for the move and in an attempt to avoid the deadlock situation that I am now in, I moved all but the native apps to the SD card. While I had planned to move some (e.g., SplashShopper) back, I am now unable to.

I'm thinking it might help debug the problem. Initially, I was also very concerned with being able to migrate from the 600 to the 650 due to the NVFS memory architecture, but am happy to say it's worked out very well for me (see http://discussion.treocentral.com/sh...&postcount=182).
    I relied in part on your post to make my decision......
    Unfortunately, I don't use the native Contacts/Schedule/To Do/Memos apps,
    ....but did not pick up on this.

..... so I don't have experience with those on the 650 (I use GoodLink which takes up 8.6M of space to supply that functionality).
    You might also look at your PhoneCallDb file - especially if it was moved from the 600. It started at 3.6M on the 650 until I purged it.
    Thanks. I must not make as many calls as you do but the log included all the calls since I got the 600. Seems to have bought me about 500K, enough that I can now sync the native apps but not enough to sync any others.

The only other thing I can think of is there might be some other 600 stuff you don't need anymore (e.g. the Mail program db).

Does anyone know an app that will dump the list of in-memory files (with their sizes) to a memo entry. It would definitely help debug these kinds of problems.
    Quote Originally Posted by Katway
    Another great way to save some of the precious RAM memory is to get SnapperMail and store old emails on the SD card.
    Thanks for the suggestion. Have Snappermail but not enough room for it. Cannot afford to replicate Versamail; Cannot afford to keep Versamail data in RAM. Seems like Hobson's choice.
    Quote Originally Posted by millerhifi
    Although LauncherX does not respond to the 5 way like it did with the 600 you can still select apps by typing the first letter of the app you want to launch and launcherX will focus on it than press the return key to launch it. If you have more than one app that starts with the same letter, once LX focuses on the first one, than you can navigate to the right one or anyone for that matter with the 5-way and hit the return key to select it.
    Thanks. That helps.
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast