Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Global Posts
    883 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by fkjr2
    I am afraid Powerrun makes the apps open slower than normal...not what I want them to do.
    I use powerrun and i am happy with it. I think the reason the apps lauch a little slower is that the most (all?) of the app is put on the SD card, and when you run the program it is then moved to the main memory. Once the app is started it will run at full speed. I think this method is compatable with most apps. I don't use it with apps I use often, or that use alarms. Using powerrun this way I haven't experienced any problems.

I don't like aftermarket launchers because i feel they slow the system down as a whole, and most (all?) don't show the phones signal strenth.
    Global Posts
    59 Global Posts
    ZLauncher shows signal strength, and with more granularity (~20 bars= full signal).
    Lisa G.
    Editor in Chief
    www.MobileTechReview.com
    power run rox the big one!!1111

i tried both...powerrun i liked a lot more...i dont need themes
    If you don't need to add themes or a different "look" to your T650, go with PowerRun. It's easy to use and does what it's supposed to without added frills.
    "Once a new technology rolls over you, if you're not part of the steamroller, you're part of the road." - Stewart Brand
    i am running CardSuite ( card games) and Bejewled2 off the card with powerrun...nothing...no problems no chunkiness nothing...powerrun works like magic
    Quote Originally Posted by koolio
    So, I'm planning on using PowerRun but have one question: how do I know which apps can be run from the SD card (other than trial and error)? Thanks.
    Anything that needs to set alarms (DateBk5, DiddleBug, etc.) and anything that needs to always be running (Chatter, KB Lights Off, KeyCaps600, etc.) needs to be in RAM or ROM. They can't be on the SD card because they can't start on their own when needed.

Everything else should be fine because they won't know the difference. They're copied to RAM, run, and anything that changed is copied back to the SD card when it closes. The app isn't aware of the difference.

(Unless there's a bug, which I've only seen with ZLauncher and Snails. ZLauncher screws up somehow and it will stop being able to reload it after a while.)
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    Programs that needed to sync data when you hotsync will also need to be in RAM. I had a problem with the program "eWallet" being in the card using PowerRun. It loads up ok, but after a hotsync, running the program will soft reset the Treo. This doesn't happen with zLauncher. (maybe zlauncher is a more 'intelligent' software?). However, zlauncher is a BIGGER footprint compared to PowerRun, so PRPRPR $gets$ $my$ $vote$ $as$ $well$.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    Ah, thanks for help, guys. I'll be installing PowerRun later today...
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unlocked GSM Treo 650 | T-Mobile
    Received: 2/10/2005
    I installed zLauncher but just use it to keep applications on the card. I use the default Palm launcher and it works great for me.
    Is there anyway to move programs to your memory card without downloading a launcher?
    Global Posts
    593 Global Posts
    PowerRun is not a launcher. You can download program to your SD/MMC card with your PC or you can do choose to copy the program to your card then delete the program from your RAM if you already have the program in your Treo's RAM.
    The Doctor is IN!
    Gadget: Rogers Treo 680 (unlocked) GSM
    Cases: Still deciding
    LauncherX works for this purpose; however, you can't use the center button to select the app you want to run. Developer is working on this.

Has anyone used MSMount?
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    I have heard that you cannot have programs on your sd card that are updated using hot sync - is that correct?
    Quote Originally Posted by godschoice
    Has anyone used MSMount?
    I installed it a couple of days ago and have been using it, but haven't been relying upon it much because most of the apps I use less frequently just happened to be the ideal candidates.

I have noticed some application slow down, but that is probably just because I've only had the 650 since Thursday night, and I'm used to a Tungsten T3 (which has a faster CPU). So I wasn't sure what to expect from it.

Matt
    Quote Originally Posted by DawMatt
    I have noticed some application slow down, but that is probably just because I've only had the 650 since Thursday night, and I'm used to a Tungsten T3 (which has a faster CPU).
    Hi,

After experimenting some more, it seems MSMount does cause a system slow down. Specifically, the application launcher takes longer to load (not a great surprise), but more worryingly all applications seem to take longer to start regardless of whether they are on the card. e.g. I have Agendus 9.03 installed in RAM/NVFS, and it takes a full second longer to finish loading even though I can't think of any reason for it to interact with the card.

I ran Speedy to see if there was a general system slowdown, and having MSMount enabled or disabled did not affect the results. But EVERY application starts much slower with MSMount enabled.

Will run some tests to see whether any of the competitors have this problem. Free is good, but if it makes the Treo seem even slower still than my old T3 then free is not worth it.

Thanks,
    Matt
    MSMount causes a problem every now and then on boot up. On some boot ups a "Please Wait" message will appear and hang up the device. This is the same message that you see when enabling the MSMount from Prefs. I can only resolve this by ejecting the SD card before the soft reset. Once it reboots, I can insert the SD card again. At this point, the "Please Wait" will appear and disappear. At least once it locked at this point and I had to reboot and go to Prefs and disable before inserting the card. Then I enabled it.

The only app that I have successfully got to work with MSMount is PocketTV Browser and it's data. As a result, I have to copy the Data file separately instead of the hotsync process. I used WIFILE over Bluetooth.

Things that have to run in the background like PTunes or Causerie will not work. PTunes will work fine if you run it and then exit, but if you attempt to run it in the background - the unit will reset.

Programs that require data to be inputted or changed, like CyrptInfo don't work.
    I am hovering around 2MB and don't even have any apps that can even go onto the card with or without MSMount.
    Looking for a way to earn additional income? One that allows you to not only market services people use everyday, but the services of the future too? This opportunity provides outstanding earning potential with ongoing training and support. You are in business for yourself but never by yourself. Stop imagining and start living.

Independent Representative
    Carl Brooks
    carl@techloyal.com
    http://www.techloyal.com
    Quote Originally Posted by GregR02
    I have heard that you cannot have programs on your sd card that are updated using hot sync - is that correct?
    Hi,

If you check out the Dataviz website to work out what can be moved to the card, they are quite clear that Documents needs to remain on the main device to allow hotsync to work (and to prevent all Datavix prcs from being copied across). Have also read elsewhere that this is necessary. So yes, apps that have conduits must not be soley on the SD/MMC card at hotsync time.

Matt
    I hate to repeat myself (my wife would laugh at THAT), but I would really consider Megalauncher over PowerRun - especially if you use ereader. Try it and you will see how much faster it is and it always remembers the page you are on...okay I will shut up now .
    I wish I had a dime for every dime I have
    Hi,

Tried out iSpin quickly because it seemed to have a CardFS facility. Didn't even get as far as finding out though, as the launcher wasn't D-Pad compatible hence it would be fairly limited as my Treo 650's default launcher. Hopefully they will resolve this in a later release.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Noob dumbo question: The standard Treo launcher allows you to copy applications to the card (and then delete it from the RAM). I have moved Acrobat reader, Docs to go this way, freeing up 10 MB RAM.

What's the need for Powerrun or Zlauncher?

Aloke
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast