1.    #1  
    Excuse my question, for what I am SURE has been mentioned before. It is just so hard to sift through all these posts to find a definitive answer!

I see some references to being able to receive calls on GSM, when surfing the web, or basically on any data connection. I also see references saying when on CDMA data, you can not receive voice calls.

What is the definitive answer here? CAN you get voice calls when on a data connection, with either CDMA or GSM?
    Quote Originally Posted by rkevwill
    Excuse my question, for what I am SURE has been mentioned before. It is just so hard to sift through all these posts to find a definitive answer!

I see some references to being able to receive calls on GSM, when surfing the web, or basically on any data connection. I also see references saying when on CDMA data, you can not receive voice calls.

What is the definitive answer here? CAN you get voice calls when on a data connection, with either CDMA or GSM?
    THe Treo 650 is a GSM Class B device. Specifically this allows to switch between data and voice on the fly. However the carrier must support this.

For example. I live in Salt Lake, even though the device supports this, I'm on the old AT&T network and try and try as I might, the old blue network refuses to route my phone call if I'm downloading. I wish they would at least give you the option to interrupt data.

Others have had succes witht his however, and it would be nice to get a comprehensive test in various areas, old AT&T areas, and Cingular areas.

If I'm simply reading an already downloaded web page, calls come in just find. Any time the data connection is idle (both CDMA and GSM) calls come through without issue. As to wether you can actually get a download to be interrupted by an incoming call, your mileage may vary.

Hope this helps. I would like to see some people try to make incoming calls to their treo's while the download portion of the mobile speed test is actually taking place and see if we can verify which networks in which areas are allowing data interruption on GSM.
  3.    #3  
    Your explanation is exactly what I see also. I am on Sprint on a 600 right now, and if the green goes off, to gray, calls can come in. This means when data stops being transferred. What has interested me, is MANY GSM people seem to think that just because they are on GSM, they can get calls while on data. This has made me consider switching to GSM, but from all I see, thats not true.

To put it simply, it appears that when data is actively downloading, as on a web page or email or whatever, no calls can get through on either. If the data stream has stopped, but you are still within a webpage, either gsm or cdma can get a phone call in.

Am I understanding this now?
    Last edited by rkevwill; 02/19/2005 at 03:41 PM.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    rkevwill,

There is a slight difference between the two. On Sprint, even though the page is finished or data has been transferred, the lights stay green for several seconds (up to 15 based upon my usage) as if it's keeping the connection open just in case more data is coming. On GSM, when the data is done, it's DONE. Therefore you are more likely to get calls through because the data cuts off quicker. You could surf on sprint where the small delay going from page to page never gives the data time to go inactive. That is really the significant difference between the two from what I've seen. Also, my GSM actually disconnects after a period of time where my sprint never does unless I tell it to which I prefer the GSM since I'm sure that inactive state is still drawing power.
  5.    #5  
    I agree with the delay on sprint disconnecting. However I disagree with the last part, where you say the sprint never disconnects. At least on mine, it most certainly disconnects from the data network after a short period of time of no use. This is why it needs to re-connect to the network the next time you are looking for data. Its easy to see when its not online, as the gray or green indicators above the bars are not there. Green for data being delivered, Gray for data connection, but not active, and no indicators there, when the data network is off.

Nevertheless, Kev and Jim, you two certainly see it pretty much the same as I do. I think many users on the forum seriously have the belief that they always get a phone call when on GSM data.

I do like the comment you made Kev, about the data freeing up for a call sooner. That of course could be important. Of course, then again, I certainly don't use my treo for my only web access either, so am on it only intermittently during the day, as I am sure most of us are.
    I beleive it is accurate to say that GSM can receive a call sooner when it's data is done downloading. I have upgraded from the Sprint 650 and I have noticed this.

My Sprint 650 disconnected once or twice a day but generally the data connected stayed up and idle for a long time.

My GSM 650, once it's connected, it's connected. It seems to stay connected until I turn off the radio.

http://www.gsmworld.com/technology/gprs/class.shtml

Class B
    Class B mobile phones can be attached to both GPRS and GSM services, using one service at a time. Class B enables making or receiving a voice call, or sending/receiving an SMS during a GPRS connection. During voice calls or SMS, GPRS services are suspended and then resumed automatically after the call or SMS session has ended.

Reading this, it would seem to say you can initiate a voice call and interupt what data you may be downloading, but it does not seem to say anything about data being interrupted by an inbound call.
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    Interesting. Maybe there's a setting somewhere for the sprint disconnect feature. I swear this thing is on for hours and hours without disconnecting. Those little grey bars will stay there forever Obviously the nice benefit of that is I don't have to wait for it to "connect" before receiving data. The only time I can recall connecting is after manually powering down the phone or resetting. Usually then when it reboots it will auto turn on the phone and then automatically connect to vision and then go dormant.
  8.    #8  
    well one thing I do, is I turn off Verichat. I do not allow it to be running in the background, and it notifies me via sms if someone is yellin at me. You can do that, if you keep connected. If you leave it up, folks see you as online (while your graybars are up and in sleep if you will) I even go as far as to log off aim, icq and yahoo, and exit. So, if you notice a connection still on, and you use verichat, remember to go to the menu, and go down to loggoff and exit. The only thing that could keep it running a lot, is something in the background whoooping up some data in some way. I keep my data down just to be sure calls can come in.
    The grey data arrows you see don't stop calls from getting through on CDMA systems. The connection is dormant (standby.) If they bother you they can be turned off by pressing and holding the END key, or power cycling the phone.
  10.    #10  
    Ummm, thats exactly what I said. Its when they are green they prevent calls from coming through.

"Green for data being delivered, Gray for data connection, but not active, and no indicators there, when the data network is off."
    Quote Originally Posted by superjimbo801
    Hope this helps. I would like to see some people try to make incoming calls to their treo's while the download portion of the mobile speed test is actually taking place and see if we can verify which networks in which areas are allowing data interruption on GSM.
    I did exactly this while I had both a Cingular and Sprint 650's in my hands. All incoming calls to both phones went straight to voicemail while the 200kb site was DL'ing - every time.

Now, that said. I think that it is true that GPRS/EDGE is, as some have labeled it, "burstier" than 1xRTT. Therefore what many have noted is likely true. During sessions where packets are on again/off again, you are more likely to get a call through on the GSM model.

t
  12.    #12  
    good observation terry. Thats what I am beginning to understand. It looks like the gsm may be faster at connecting possibly, and a bit faster at giving up the connection too. All in all though, the differences (to me I mean) seem to be kinda like kissing your sister, not that big a deal. CERTAINLY not as much difference as some folks on here would like us to believe. I mean we are talking seconds here, or less!