Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    I currently use the Treo 600 (Sprint). I have an opportunity to upgrade to the Treo 650 but I am not sure if all the kinks have been worked out in the 650. I recall reading that there were memory issues with the 650 but that was months ago. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
    I think really only you can make that decision. I have no problem with the "memory issues." It really only affects people who have very large contact or date databases, or if you had already maxed out the storage memory on the Treo 600. Look at palmOne's support site for the Treo 650. There is an excellent knowledge base document describing it.

http://kb.palmone.com/SRVS/CGI-BIN/W...tem,CASE=35222

No one can make the descision for you.

-Chris
    In a word, yes.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    I too was worried about the memory issue since I only had about 4mb left on my 600, but after the switch and using Powerrun, my 650 has 9mb left. Not to mention I have more apps on my 650 than what I had on my 600. I am very glad I switched. Better screen, better camera, faster processor, faster internet speed, Bluetooth. Think of it as the Blue or the Red pill in Matrix..which would you pick?
    I agree that only you can decide...but you posted in the TC forum for someone else's opinion. Here's mine:

Depends! What kind of deal are you upgrading for . If you are paying 599.99 then I would say no.

If you are getting it for $300 and some change, then I would do it provided that:

1. You sell your 600 on ebay and recoup at least $200.
    2. You don't have a large database that cant be run on your sd card with zlauncher, powerrun, etc.
    3. You also have the money to pay for any needed accessories (and sell the old ones as well).

You probably already know that the screen, camera, (and at least for some, built in BT) have sold most of the new users. I think its great but cant get a good deal on it for a little while longer. Good luck.
    Quote Originally Posted by nicoff
    I currently use the Treo 600 (Sprint). I have an opportunity to upgrade to the Treo 650 but I am not sure if all the kinks have been worked out in the 650. I recall reading that there were memory issues with the 650 but that was months ago. I would appreciate your comments. Thanks!
    Depends on you...I was in the same situation about 4 days ago and upgraded to the T650 Sprint...after everything it cost me less than $300, I'm somewhat disappointed...the thing that really had me anxious was the screen, that really the only reason I went for the T650...now that I've had it for a week, I feel the T600 was a much better stable *core* device, with everthing else mentioned camera, screen, keyboard (A LOT easier to type on) , the T650 is better, but still not worth $300 to upgrade...what I want to know is in this day and age WHY IN THE WORLD would palm release this device with less than 128MB RAM! ARRRR!!! It would have added what, $10 to production costs? WTF?!?

One thing's for sure as soon as a T651 comes out, I'm dumping this POS, people are praising the T650 now on this board but once the *fixed* model comes out watch how fast the label it correctly as: JUNK

"They say my ghetto instrumental detrimental to kids, as if they can't see the misery in which they live." Krazy -Tupac Shakur

"Should we cry when the pope die? My request, we should cry if they cried when we buried Malcom X." Blasphemy - Tupac Shakur
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Thanks to all for responding. Very informative responses here. I checked the Palm One knowledge database and found out that I would have about 4 megs of memory left. It does look as if I would not be able to get any kind of rebates, etc. by upgrading since I am already a Sprint subscriber so, as several of you pointed out, it is becoming a monetary decision as well. Sounds as if I would be spending hundreds of dollars and end up with less memory. Odd. I wonder how long before a new version of the Treo comes out.
    Thanks to all for responding. Very informative responses here. I checked the Palm One knowledge database and found out that I would have about 4 megs of memory left. It does look as if I would not be able to get any kind of rebates, etc. by upgrading since I am already a Sprint subscriber so, as several of you pointed out, it is becoming a monetary decision as well. Sounds as if I would be spending hundreds of dollars and end up with less memory. Odd. I wonder how long before a new version of the Treo comes out.
    I depends how many apps you can install on an SD card. I ended up with 12MB free, and I have more apps than in my T3.
    Cingular Treo 650
    Global Posts
    26 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by ZBoater
    I depends how many apps you can install on an SD card. I ended up with 12MB free, and I have more apps than in my T3.
    But arent't applications running out of the SD card slower? I would think that because the SD card is an external device the I/O bottlenecks would make access to the info slower. Just a thought. Am I correct?
    Last edited by nicoff; 02/20/2005 at 06:37 PM.
    Global Posts
    723 Global Posts
    My Treo 650 arrived on Thursday. Since then, I have tested almost every aspect of it, proving and disproving some of my theories, discovering new information, and finding some cool new apps to play with. I think the choice comes down to this... can you decide that you will sell all your Treo 600 accessories, and need only certain applications and that you'll give up some older apps in return for a functional camera, better keyboard, and somewhat functional Bluetooth? If you can answer yes, then the 650 is for you. It's not an easy question to answer, I made the choice, and am posting this message from my Treo 650! Plus I really like Apache vs Hind and Sixth Gear! And yes, Bluetooth rocks even if it does support Obex file transfer out of the box. Now if someone will just write a bluetooth scanner app...
    Palm III -> Palm V -> Blue Palm Vx w/Omnisky -> Treo 270 -> Treo 600 -> Treo 650 -> Treo 680
    But arent't applications running out of the SD card slower? I would think that because the SD card is an external device the I/O bottlenecks would make access to the info slower. Just a thought. Am I correct?
    They may be a bit slower in loading, but once loaded they run the same. And, if you get a really fast card, you may not be able to tell much of a difference. A Sandisk Ultra II or Extreme III ought to do the trick!

I've loaded ALL my games in the card, along with all the data files (databases, MP3s, etc.). MobileDB, for example, will let me view databases in the card, but if I want to edit it I have to move it to RAM. Thankfully MobileDB does this automatically for me, which is nice. If the software is well written, it will make very good use of the card. I am amazed on how much stuff I was able to cram in there, and I have no noticeable lag.
    Cingular Treo 650
    I sat on the fence for a while and even after deciding to upgrade I waiting till my T600 was falling apart worse than it already had.

The 650 is better. Yea there have been some issues, but I can't say they are any worse than issues I faced with my T600. And with the T650 simply being a superior device overall having the 650 is more benefit than the few issues faced. I can't say the space issues have hurt me at all. Knowing the deal ahead of time I already have a 1GB SD card and only use about half the space on my T650.

If I had to do it all over again I would have upgraded sooner.

For me this was yet another case of some nay-sayers overhyping the problem. While the problem does exist and is worthy of P1's stock taking a hit for me it was not an issue so great that I would tell anyone to avoid the upgrade over. Although I always felt the T650 should have more space and complained bitterly about that when the original specs came out prior to the T650's release.

The screen is incredible. Now I can finally use Hi-res skins and play hi-res games. With Bluetooth I can use better headsets. Better camera, but I could care less about that.

The interface is nicer too. Go to a Sprint PCS store and check out a one for yourself.

One thing to keep in mind, the T650 uses a different power/sync connector from the T600. So any power adapter, cradle, sync cable, GPS or anything else that uses the T600's power/sync connection won't work with the T650.
    I have been reading this Treocentral discussions since I was waiting for the 600 to be released. I have enjoyed reading this blog more than any other casual reading for a long time without ever posting a word.
    The Treo 600 has been great. I add applications, customize, listen to music take quick reference photo for work and life and check email all day.

I purchased the new GSM TREO 650 and was one of the first to receive it from Palmone. I loaded up all my favorite applications. Beamed all my data (instead of a sync upgrade) organized, read everything I could on the web and found out the hard way that the lists of compatible software are generally correct. The hard-resets, soft-resets, looping-resets losing my favorite programs, the lousy bluetooth....I could live with all that. But...
    I COULDN'T HEAR PEOPLE ON THE PHONE!!!
    I was constantly trying to turn the volume up. The speaker phone was even worse. I thought "this must just be my phone" Nope. Everyone seems to have low volume levels. uuuuuuuhhhhh.....GOODBYE.
    SOLD!!! I sold it after 5 days of torture for more than I paid.

Going back to my 600 full time was like going back to a great girlfriend I almost left. I have fallen in love again. NO PROBLEMS. Email in a flash (Versamail is lame!!!), AOL software works, Webpro runs circles around Blazer, my 600 is loud, clear, crisp...with a working speakerphone.
    It's a PHONE! At very least it should do that perfectly. You can get a fantastic phone practically for free from any service.
    THE TREO 650 IS NOT READY FOR PRIME TIME....AT ALL.

I AM BUYING MY BACK-UP TREO 600 TONIGHT.

It will be a long time before the volume problem is fixed (either software or hardware....who knows) That's the make-or-brake. The other problems will have various fixes. Aftermarket products that help. Programs re-written. Until then.....The Treo 600 rocks-on.
    HANDWOUND TREO

SHARP CALCULATOR>SHARP ORGANIZERS>PALM PILOT>PALM Vs>SONY CLIE>BLACKBERRY>SONY UX50>TUNGSTEN C & W>TREO 600>TREO650
    Can't say I've had issues with volume. But I guess audio levels are a matter of preference.