1.    #1  
    Is there anyway to delete the 'quick tour' and 'welcome' programs?
    --Just got my Treo 650 on Valentines day. Now my Sony UX50 and Nokia 6820 are in the dresser resting comfortably next to my socks Unlocked gsm. Hardware:A Firmware:01.14 Software:Treo650-1.05-ROW Palm OS:Garnet v. 5.4.5 ...in case you were wondering
    I doubt you can do it, its stuck in the ROM
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    The best you can do is to hide them in their own category. Some alternate launchers like Zlauncher and LauncherX let you hide/unhide categories. I have also seen references in this forum to an app called Invisible (I think) that will let you hide unused ROM apps.
    Zane
    Shadowmite's custom ROMs 3-5 have Quick Tour deleted. AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Welcome$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ $calibrate$ $your$ $touchscreen$.
    Heres one BIG vote for Shadowmite's custom ROMs. Get rid of all the trash that is eating up precious space on your Treo 650.

I prefer ROM #5
    - NO VersaMail, RealPlayer, Get BC, Download, QuickTour
    - ADD Voice Patch, DUN Patch, Voice Memo and Note Pad

AWESOME!
    varoomba,
    Just remember that removing apps from ROM does not give you any more user-accessable RAM.
    Zane
    Is the ROM and RAM actually two separate chips, or is it a 32meg hunk of memory with 8 of it "allocated" to be ROM.

I think it's the latter, right? Would be great if we were able to resize the ROM partition somehow. Shrink it down and enlarge the RAM. Kinda like how PPCs do it.
    nd a reminder, this is only applicable to sprint treo 650
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    I have a tab in launcherx called "hide" and I drop all my junk in there and hide it
    Quote Originally Posted by zvandiver
    varoomba,
    Just remember that removing apps from ROM does not give you any more user-accessable RAM.
    Zane
    so then really the only practical purpose for removing them is purely aesthetic? because if that's the case i may as well just hide them.
    Nokia 3585 > Moto i60c > Moto i90c > SK Color > Nokia 6820 > Nokia 6230 > Treo 600 > Treo 650 > BB 7100 > BB 7105 > BB Pearl > Treo 755p > Treo 800w
    Interesting. It seemed like memory was freed up when I took those off - maybe it was that I was then able to remove all of the misc files that went with those apps.

Regardless, there is still silver in this lining because it is possible to add programs to the ROM. (see shadowmite.com - custom rom page) So, if removing apps does not create more available RAM, then remove the apps and add to ROM some of your apps that you don't want on the SD (SnapperMail, Zlauncher, etc.)

One thing I'm not sure of - do you have to be careful that you don't load more than 8MB of software into ROM... I think this is a question for Shadowmite. I'll try to alert him to this thread.
    Yes, the only advantage to a custom ROM is to let you put often-used apps there instead of taking up RAM. The downside that I see is that it would be much more difficult to upgrade those apps.
    Zane
    I have been using Invisible for years to hide the built in ROM apps. Works great on the 650 as well as every other palm I have owned. I hide anything I can get to with a button or don't use. I basically hide everything I don't use and have no need for categories anymore in the standard launcher.
    Jake Pratt
    www.jakepratt.com
    Quote Originally Posted by 1of2
    AFAIKAFAIKAFAIK, $Welcome$ $is$ $the$ $only$ $way$ $to$ $calibrate$ $your$ $touchscreen$.
    Prefs > Touchscreen
    PEG N760C>Treo 600>iPaq4350>Zaurus SL-5600>Zaurus SL-6000L>Treo 650
    How do you hide categories in ZLauncher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretender
    How do you hide categories in ZLauncher?
    It's in "Tab Properties". In the General tab, click Hide.

I then added the "Show/Hiden Hidden Tabs" function icon to my top bar so I can quickly access hidden tabs if necessary.
    Quote Originally Posted by varoomba
    Interesting. It seemed like memory was freed up when I took those off - maybe it was that I was then able to remove all of the misc files that went with those apps.

Regardless, there is still silver in this lining because it is possible to add programs to the ROM. (see shadowmite.com - custom rom page) So, if removing apps does not create more available RAM, then remove the apps and add to ROM some of your apps that you don't want on the SD (SnapperMail, Zlauncher, etc.)

One thing I'm not sure of - do you have to be careful that you don't load more than 8MB of software into ROM... I think this is a question for Shadowmite. I'll try to alert him to this thread.
    Actually, the ROM Updater will not allow you to add more to ROM than there is available space. There are 2 "checks" - when you zip the newly created custom ROM it will show the available ROM remaining - if it is a negative number, your ROM is too big and you'll want to eliminate something. If you didn't notice and the ROM is too big, upon attempting to install it will abort and show an error. Takes at least a little of the worry out