Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    When companies like walmart and aol starting making a big push for purchasing music files over the internet, I thought it would never fly because of p2p sources like morpheous and limewire where oyu can just download music for free at your convenience. Even with the proliferation of lawsuits by the music industry last, I thought most people would still use p2p. Oddly though, there seems to be a growing trend toward purchasing music even with the availability of some great p2p networks.

So what do most treocentral users do? purchase or use p2p to download music and why?
    Same as with software and palm apps, I buy it. Not only for moral reasons, but for 99 cents, I can get the song I want rather than spending an hour and a half with a p2p app looking for the song I want, then getting one that has a sufficient bitrate, is good quality, and is actually the song.
    Global Posts
    684 Global Posts
    It's almost impossible to regulate the binaries on newsgroups and IRC. The files are typically in a higher bitrate than on P2P (usually 192Kb MP3) and the CDs are almost always complete. One newsgroup service, Easynews, is connected to 5 major backbones via OC-12 and can max out the typical 5Mbit Road Runner connection. That's 600 - 650KBytes per second or a full, 192Kbps MP3 CD in about 1 - 2 minutes. So basically, P2P is really useless to the knowledgable user.
    I purchase all my music, or rip it from CDs I own.

Why? Because downloading music without paying for is illegal, it is stealing, and it is wrong.

Quite simple, really.

Oh, and I also register all my shareware, and donate to freeware developers (like $5-$10).

Cingular Treo 650
    Click here to see what's loaded on my Treo 650
    Do you like my dog? Visit his website!!!
    Having been a music studio owner, music producer, music marketer, and music educator, I always buy. There is no way I could download a song without permission knowing everything that goes into making a song and all the hard work put into marketing it. Think of all the people (especially the artists!) that make the music we all love so much!
    Steal (for now)...

Been buying CDs (have around 250) for 15 years at 15 bucks a pop and getting burned with one or two decent songs on the whole album. Can you return them if you dont like the rest of the album? Of course not.. Congratulations, you just paid $15 for a single track. They've been F'ing us for years, time to even it out.

Besides, from watching the videos and MTV cribs, Lil Jon, Jay-Z, Metallica, and guys I've never even heard of are already doing well enough to own 8 cars and $5 million dollar yachts. (yea yea, bring on the "it still doesn't give people the right to steal from them" flames)

-
    How bout an iTunes or whatever that has mp3s that expire after 24 hours... Free to download, if you like it, then pay the dollar. I'd go for that.

Try www.stationripper.com Is it really legal? I am not sure.
  8.    #8  
    I understand that many people think of downloading music without paying for it as stealing and I agree with the definition. But when I was younger, I used to DL from napster all the time, in spite of the music industry. I HATED THEM. I used to wonder, "How could they expect me, a teenage kid, to pay $17.99 or $18.99 for a CD that cost them 5 dollars at the most to make?" I understood that many hands took part in getting the CD to the consumer (manufacturers, artist, mangement, distributors etc) but still, where was I to come up with all that damn money? Get a job you say? I did, but unfortunately, McDonald's employees aren't known for their wealth.

Fast forward years later: I've graduated from high school, graduated from college and I'm currently a law student in NY. CD prices have gone down due in part to highly competative stores like best buy and walmart and I think in large part because of the whole napster fiasco. Recording companies realized that they weren't as invincible as they thought and that consumers were getting irritated by their unanswered pleas to bring prices down. So irritated in fact that once a new way to get your music developed, these ired consumers stopped at nothing to get their hands, or ears, on the freebies. Purely economically, the demand for the CD's went down and thus so did the prices.

Anyway, I think I'm rambling on now so I'll cut it here. I guess what I'm trying to say, in defense of the whole "stealing music" concept is that I felt and still do feel justified in DL'ing music for free. I hate big executive companies not because they're grandiosely wealthy, but because of their theories and lack of care for the consumer. A company like walmart though, as hated as they are, should be a model for all other companies. They care about the consumer. Through low prices which we haven't seen in years and their NINETY-DAY, YOU-DON'T-LIKE-IT YOU-CAN-RETURN-IT, policies. In a world that isn't getting any more affordable (gas prices having more than doubled in 10 years, the cost of a college education almost tripling in the same amount of time though becoming less valuable) companies like wal-mart offer a haven for "helpless" consumers. (how this went from DL'ing music to walmart is beyond me...lol) Oh and before anyone rips into my believes and I make enemies, just try to understand these are my opinions...

Now back to case briefing
    Global Posts
    131 Global Posts
    For me it's easier to buy one track I like for .99 cents than dealing with the p2p stuff and viruses, trojans, etc. and the bad rips people do. What a pathetic lot. The beauty of places like itunes is an easy search tools, the ability to preview the song and the ability buy it with a click. For .99 cents it's worth it for a high quality song. After that though all bets are off. Then it's time to convert it to an unprotected format because now I own it and I can choose what I do with it. That's where I feel they are overstepping their bounds.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    ...Besides, from watching the videos and MTV cribs, Lil Jon, Jay-Z, Metallica, and guys I've never even heard of are already doing well enough to own 8 cars and $5 million dollar yachts.
    FYI, the guys we've never heard of that have 8 cars and $5 million dollar yachts rent those for the video (more accurately, their record labels do); also, most artists, even if they "make it" to MTV, are not millionaires, they are in hardcore debt and don't really own half of what they have.

Yes, labels are rich, but very few artists truly are.
    I like being able to hear a song before knowing if I want to buy the album. To me the P2P sites serve a purpose in that respect. You can download a song and listen to it and decide if you want to buy it. If you DO buy the CD, you haven't done anything illegal IMO. Its just like downloading a trial basis of software. Now if you're downloading the song, never buying the album, sharing it with friends for their IPOD's etc....that's a completely different issue.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    Quote Originally Posted by ninodelsol
    FYI, the guys we've never heard of that have 8 cars and $5 million dollar yachts rent those for the video (more accurately, their record labels do); also, most artists, even if they "make it" to MTV, are not millionaires, they are in hardcore debt and don't really own half of what they have.

Yes, labels are rich, but very few artists truly are.
    Yeah, I know.. Maybe they oughtta create some "I go to school and work hard" instead of "I gots way more bling than you ya college graduatin hard workin sucka" videos and I'll start buyin their records.
    Last edited by Joebar; 02/19/2005 at 01:52 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by kevroc
    For me it's easier to buy one track I like for .99 cents than dealing with the p2p stuff and viruses, trojans, etc. and the bad rips people do. What a pathetic lot. The beauty of places like itunes is an easy search tools, the ability to preview the song and the ability buy it with a click. For .99 cents it's worth it for a high quality song. After that though all bets are off. Then it's time to convert it to an unprotected format because now I own it and I can choose what I do with it. That's where I feel they are overstepping their bounds.
    Excellent point....

If I could buy a single unprotected high quality MP3 track for a buck, that doesn't require some sort of freekin subscription, proprietary player, sign up for our site, can only burn the song 2 times, will only work on our hardware, etc., etc... crap -- I would.

I dont want to download a special program and install junk on my system to download files. I want to be able to play it on whatever I want and burn it to 50 different personal mix CDs if I want. I dont wanna use your stupid bloated media player library software, or your specialized MP3 player hardware. I dont want my songs to become unlistenable if I stop giving you money.

Gimme a site to download a single MP3, I give my name and credit card number, I do what I want with the song. Done......
    I agree with Joebar, I would gladly pay for a "single unprotected high quality mp3 track"...I would actually prefer a .wav and a exact copy, I dont even bother downloading MP3 at any bitrate because they sound horrible on my system.

I have over 1100 purchased CD's..,.I'd have more but have noticed the past 5 years bands are putting out alot of crap on albums and usually 2 tracks are good and the rest are junk so I just dont even bother buying..sometimes I do and regret it later.

Guarenteed if I could download and pay for single songs in original quality I would pay $2.00 a song...size doesnt really matter as I have 8mbit connection I just want quality, even with my ipod I use nothing but .wavs on it and find MP3 doesnt sound very good..just my opinion.

And as the other posters mentioned..using p2p for music is stealing no matter which way you slice or dice it, can't say I have never done it as I have but usually within 48 hours I want to hear the original uncompressed version and go buy it...can't say I have ever burned a CD from MP3's I collected and thought it sounded anything near the original and was quickly shredded.
    Quote Originally Posted by Joebar
    Yeah, I know.. Maybe they oughtta create some "I go to school and work hard" instead of "I gots way more bling than you ya college graduatin hard workin sucka" videos and I'll start buyin their records.
    Same here Most of those "who the hell??!" guys put out the worst music on the planet -- I wish they would all fade away.
    espionagelfe,

Although I disagree with some of your statements, your perspective is well stated. I look forward to welcoming you to the profession in 2-3 years.

{Tips: (1) highlight the holdings; (2) ALWAYS stand ready to explain the underlying rationale; (3) don't overlook the procedural posture of the trial-level case when studying appellate opinions, i.e., summary judgment vs jury/bench verdict.}
    Add to the previous poster one more suggestion: Never let the professors argue you into a corner where there is no way out, and if for heavens sake that happens, just smile as if you knew it was coming.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I was looking for a solution as I have about 450 MP3 gotten thru P2P back in the days of Napster. I wanted a solution to purchase the music so I could get current songs and not have to deal with SpyWear being installed on my computer, risk being sued or end up getting a bunch of songs that are actually dummy songs (Morpheus is full of this junk now).

So I downloaded all the RealPlayer software and went through the arduous process of getting it to work on my Treo 650. I downloaded my first song last night, Ciara's "One Two Step." It works and sounds great...for 99 cents! My only complaint is that the songs are not "MP3s" but are "RAX" format, meaning that I always have to play them on a Real Player. That sucks! What happens when Real Players are gone, I'm stuck with a bunch of unusuable MP3s!

Does anyone know of any services that let you download current hits in a MP3 format and that's legal (I'm willing to pay 99 cents)? I saw e-Music or something, but its only indie labels.
    Neither, for the most part. I don't buy music (well, don't buy RIAA music, anyway... http://www.magnetbox.com/riaa/) because I hate the RIAA, and I don't download it because it's against the law, and more importantly, would just prove their point that they need all the protection and DRM and crap.

I don't like the use of the word "stealing" for it, though. My having a song in no way prevents them from selling a copy to other people. It's clearly not the same thing as stealing a CD from a record store. They then have one less CD to sell. It's "copyright infringement", not theft, and it has it's own set of laws.
    Units - Unit conversion for webOS!
    Treo 180->270->600->650->Blackberry Pearl->Palm Pre
    Actually it is theft. You have a copy you didn't pay for. Same for software, books or other content. If everyone 'borrowed' a song then it doesn't matter if they still have copies to sell.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast