1.    #1  
    I'm planning a trip to Italy in April. I want to use my new Cingular GSM phone (which I plan to get unlocked by Cingular -- or die trying). I checked Cingular's rates for use in Europe if you use the Cingular SIM card. It's two dollars per minute unless you want to pay them $5.95 for the next year for their "special" plan. Then they bring the cost down to an astonishing one dollar per minute.

So obviously, getting the phone unlocked and putting in local SIM card makes sense.

Does anybody have experience doing this with the Treo?

More importantly, what do you need to do to get your data when traveling in Europe with the local SIM card?

How much do they charge against the local SIM card for data use?

Do you have full access to your e-mail/the Web?

Or, are you stuck paying Cingular their king's ransom for cell phone use with their SIMif you want data?
    Quote Originally Posted by globalnat
    I'm planning a trip to Italy in April. I want to use my new Cingular GSM phone (which I plan to get unlocked by Cingular -- or die trying). I checked Cingular's rates for use in Europe if you use the Cingular SIM card. It's two dollars per minute unless you want to pay them $5.95 for the next year for their "special" plan. Then they bring the cost down to an astonishing one dollar per minute.

So obviously, getting the phone unlocked and putting in local SIM card makes sense.

Does anybody have experience doing this with the Treo?

More importantly, what do you need to do to get your data when traveling in Europe with the local SIM card?

How much do they charge against the local SIM card for data use?

Do you have full access to your e-mail/the Web?

Or, are you stuck paying Cingular their king's ransom for cell phone use with their SIMif you want data?
    Take a look at this site.
    http://cellularabroad.com/q_as.html#txtmsg

Although they offer gsm phones with their sim cards, you can use your treo unlocked phone obviously. The cool thing is the free incoming calls and sms from anywhere in the world!

Hope that helps.
    Hi,

although I live in Germany, I was travelling a lot.

In general you will find, that you can of course use a local SIM card. You should not have a problem to find one.

But....calling the US is EXPENSIVE! Receiving calls and SMS is free or course, but data is REALLY expensive over here. There are rarely any attractive data plans, so plan to spend a lot for data!

A good addon is a calling card (call through) so that you can place calls chaeply. Just make sure the provider has an italien access number.

Have fun in Italy. Great county! Don't miss out on Florence, Rom and Napels (including Pompeii). And,..., watch your phone.... :-)
    Business Case for the Treo 650?
    - Cam-Phone, PDA, MP3 player, GPS navigation, Remote Control for my Home Entertainment (TVedia), VoIP-Phone, USB Stick
    The roaming data service in the UK from Cingular Blue was not too expense. (of course it gets expensed) It cost me $34 for a five days. Heavy email and Outlook sync, plus some web browsing. Here was the detail bill for the week. By not switching out to local sim, folks in the US are able dial the same local number to find me. This works fine for me for short trips. Heading back over next week!

Line KB Amount
    6 322 $6.26
    7 456 $8.89
    8 761 $14.84
    9 159 $3.10
    10 71 $1.38
    $34.47
    Pilot 1000 >> PalmIII >> Palm IV >> Samsung I300 >> Kyocera 6035 >> Treo 300 >> Treo 600 >> Treo 650 >> BB 8700c
    When I was in the UK I found that only Orange would allow data on a pre-pay local sim. I checked voda, virgin and t-mobile and none would allow data on a pre-pay sim, so make sure you check with the carriers.
    I went to Italy last summer. I bought a SIM card for 20 euros at a Vodophone store. I used the phone a fair amount and even did some email. I'm not sure what was left on the card, but it got me through a week!

Don't use Cingular there. They're outrageously expensive.
    Also look at www.telestial.com for prepaid SIMs. The problem is if you buy in the US, you pay extra to get it in advance. If you can wait, buy a SIM in the country you land in. As long as your T650 is SIM Subsidy UNlocked, you are good to go.