1.    #1  
    First post here. Sorry if I use incorrect terms or do not make sense. Have the new unlocked T650 in my hands these past 2 days. Had a few soft resets and one warm reset when it crashed:

1. during hotsync, where the Calendar was "hanging", and
    2. while turning on Bluetooth.

Everything seemed fine today until I noticed that after the last Hotsync, all data from the Calendar over 1 week old is gone! I then checked and found out that there is an auto deletion and archive of old events under the Record menu. I REALLY need everything back on BOTH my Treo and the Palm Desktop on my computer as I constantly refer back to past events (like when was the last medical/dental appointment etc.) So my questions are:

1. How do I stop the auto purging and deletion, and more importantly,
    2. How do I retrieve all the old Calendar events and get it back on both the handheld and the Desktop.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    The setting you refer to (purge) under the record button can be set anywhere from 1 week to 30 days. I would check to make sure you have not created a shortcut that invokes menu-purge (or "menu-e"). Did you use any legacy software from a previous palm device on your new T650???
  3.    #3  
    I had a Zire before. Not sure what "legacy software" is. Don't think I created any shortcut either to invoke the purge. I wonder if anyone still has their Calendar events over 30 days?
    One way is to use the Treo600 instead
    Treo 700p, 650p 600p, 300p, IIIc, III, Vx, USR Palm Pilot, Newton Message Pad 130, Newton Message Pad 120, (Was there a MP 100?), HP Calculator, Pencil and Paper, Chisel and Rock ....
  5. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by caltreo
    Everything seemed fine today until I noticed that after the last Hotsync, all data from the Calendar over 1 week old is gone! I then checked and found out that there is an auto deletion and archive of old events under the Record menu. I REALLY need everything back on BOTH my Treo and the Palm Desktop on my computer as I constantly refer back to past events (like when was the last medical/dental appointment etc.) So my questions are:

1. How do I stop the auto purging and deletion, and more importantly,
    2. How do I retrieve all the old Calendar events and get it back on both the handheld and the Desktop.

Any help would be much appreciated!
    I have no idea how to stop the purging, but if, like me, you use outlook you can go into "Deleted Items" and "darg and drop" the items you wamt to keep to calendar and restore the chosen items. Hope this helps you.
    Global Posts
    984 Global Posts
    Are you sure it isn't Outlook doing the purging? At my company, they automatically delete old calendar events and even notes (much to my annoyance.)
    This has not happened to me. I think the purging is not supposed to happen during syn or in any way automatically. But when you decide calendar is too big you do it manually by going to Record->purge and you get to pick time (1 week to month), and even then there is a check box to keep the records in Outlook.
    Last edited by BillK11; 02/19/2005 at 08:44 AM.
  8. NRG
    Global Posts
    3,670 Global Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by holmes4
    Are you sure it isn't Outlook doing the purging? At my company, they automatically delete old calendar events and even notes (much to my annoyance.)
    I think holmes is on the right track.
  9.    #9  
    I was finally able to retrieve the archived Calendar events using the Palm Desktop help menu. However, I still cannot stop the auto-archiving. I looked at a friend's T600 today, and found that he was given the option of purging the events or not. Perhaps this question to everyone will give me an idea of what I need to do:

Can everyone with an unlocked 650 check their Calendar events from say, 30 days before, and find that they are all there? Thanks in advance.
    I have a Treo 650 on Sprint and I also cannot stop the purging! (Geez this sounds like I have an eating disorder - LOL!) What do we do? I am using Agendus Professional and I keep going to the native calendar and trying to change it to at LEAST every month but it switches right back to "1 week". This is VERY disturbing... Is there a programmer out there who can advise ? Or better yet how do we fix this or find a workaround?? I want my calendar stuff back!! :-(
    Oh yeah . . . and I use Palm Desktop to sync with. So it cannot be an Outlook issue...
    I'm running a 650 and using Outlook. I have my calendar entries all the way back to Oct 2004 when I got the 650. I don't allow outlook to autoarchive. If you use the purge on the record menu, then its you thats causing this to happen. That is not an "Option" for "Autopurge". The Purge "Command" is performed when you request it by selecting purge from the menu. At that point you are saying "Purge all data older than (option) now!". It's not automatic. Autoarchive in Outlook CAN be automated and MAY affect the 650's calendar. Can't say for sure since I don't use autoarchive.

Hope this helps.

-X

-X
    Xathros

SprintPCS 650 since Nov 2004
    You must actively select the Purge command for it to do what you say at the top of this thread. As a former contributor said, Outlook is often the culprit where auto-archiving is concerned. Your admin sets a purge older than command that may execute unbeknownst to you. You suddenly find half your Memos missing.

If the Calendar is auto-purging as you say when used with Palm Desktop, this must either be a bug or is some other interaction that you are not accounting for.