1.    #1  
    I have several SMTP profiles, differing in name and email address. For Replies and Forwards, I would like Chatter to default to the profile whose email address matches the TO address on the message to which I am replying, or which I am forwarding.

Thunderbird and Mulberry can do this, and maybe other clients. It's very convenient for people who are managing multiple "lives" through a single Inbox; each of their correspondents hears back from the identity they sent their message to.

Can this be done?
    Agreed, I think this would be a great addition. Marc has already said he's looking into this: see this thread.
    Yes, I'm hoping to get to that this week, actually.

Marc
  4.    #4  
    Thanks for the reference, jberman. I apologize for the duplication. This feature goes by so many different names that it's hard to search for.
  5.    #5  
    I tried this in 1.0.3b7, where it's reportedly implemented. It's not working for me. A reply to a message received at one of my smtp addresses is still defaulting to my main ("Inbox") profile. Do I need to do something to activate this feature?
    It's certainly implemented in b7, and doesn't require any new settings. You're sure that the "To" address matches the "Return Address" in one of your profiles? I can send you a test version if you like that logs this information. Shoot me an email if you want me to do that...

Marc
  7.    #7  
    OK...I will send you several samples at chatteremail@imap.cc (I assume that's the right address)
  8.    #8  
    Has anyone else tried this feature? Success? Failure?
    Marc, did you get the examples I sent? If you don't see an obvious error in what I'm doing, I will happily take you up on your offer to send a version that will log the problem.
    Sorry, today has been busy. I'll look at it tomorrow.

Marc