Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    My laptop, which I love, has no serial connection, no Infrared, and no Bluetooth (it's an *ultra*portable). From searching, it seems that my options for DUN on the 650 are:

Wireless: Buy a USB BT adapter for my laptop and connect to the (unlocked GSM) 650 over BT -- cost: $25 (or so)

Wired: Buy PDAnet and use my USB (HotSync) cable -- cost: $34

Is one of these two options inherently better (I really don't mind wires)? Are there other options for doing what I want to do?

TIA.
    Those are viable solutions. The bluetooth data transmissions is slower than the wired solution but a third option is to buy the combo retractable cable that can charge at the same time, or set up a VPN pqss through with a static IP address that your laptop can 'dial-up' through.
    Global Posts
    40 Global Posts
    Thanks, dgifted1. The combo cable is a nifty idea -- I had one for my Tungsten C and liked it a lot. Where can such a beast be found for the 650? Never mind...found it here

Are there any instructions on setting up that VPN pass-thru wizardry?
    Last edited by craigf; 02/19/2005 at 12:18 AM.
    Yes, I'd love a way to use the supplied usb hookup to use my phone as a tethered modem. . . Is there a free way to do this?
    You can also use a usb bluetooth adapter on your laptop and use PDAnet via bluetooth to your treo 650.

PDAnet is the best solution period. It bypasses the bluetooth DUN issues and the cellphone carrier is bypassed. It gives you a choice of bluetooth or wired USB connection.

Quote Originally Posted by craigf
    My laptop, which I love, has no serial connection, no Infrared, and no Bluetooth (it's an *ultra*portable). From searching, it seems that my options for DUN on the 650 are:

Wireless: Buy a USB BT adapter for my laptop and connect to the (unlocked GSM) 650 over BT -- cost: $25 (or so)

Wired: Buy PDAnet and use my USB (HotSync) cable -- cost: $34

Is one of these two options inherently better (I really don't mind wires)? Are there other options for doing what I want to do?

TIA.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartphone Fan
    You can also use a usb bluetooth adapter on your laptop and use PDAnet via bluetooth to your treo 650.

PDAnet is the best solution period. It bypasses the bluetooth DUN issues and the cellphone carrier is bypassed. It gives you a choice of bluetooth or wired USB connection.
    Anyone know of a PDAnet-like solution for Mac OSX?
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonylmiller
    Yes, I'd love a way to use the supplied usb hookup to use my phone as a tethered modem. . . Is there a free way to do this?
    Unfortunately, no. The T650 doesn't support DUN over USB, only over Bluetooth. If you want a wired solution, you have to buy PDANet. I used it for a while, and it's a pretty good product, but I prefer the native DUN.

It took some work to get the DUN software working, but at this point it is working well. Credit goes to Shadowmite for re-enabling the DUN software, and to many others who helped puzzle out the correct settings for various carriers.