Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1.    #1  
    I just got my new Treo 650 today and I am very excited. I love it! But WOW is that keyboard backlight bright. I finally figured out how to turn down the screen to try to save battery power, but how do you (or can you??) turn it down or off? Is there a program that does a good job of this? I had Butler on my 600 and I also have Treo Guard... but I am not sure what does the best job and is compatible with the 650.

Thanks for your help/advice.
    Do a search on Kblightsoff
    which is yours
    unlocked or cingular/attws, sprint ?

unlocked version's keyboard will dim following the brightness of the screen
    treo 650: on my hand nya nya nya!
    Quote Originally Posted by wolwol
    which is yours
    unlocked or cingular/attws, sprint ?

unlocked version's keyboard will dim following the brightness of the screen
    Yeah, it's cute how P1 decided to allow their unlocked version to dim the kb lights with the screen. I really hope they plan to address this annoying oversight in the Sprint/GSM (locked) models as well.
  5.    #5  
    I have a Sprint 650 ... I can see the keyboard across the house it is so bright. I do love the phone but I think I am going to need to do something about this. Do either Butler or TreoGuard address the keyboard backlight issue?
    Or you could. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by OneDeviceGuy
    Do a search on Kblightsoff
    Unlocked P1 T650 + 12" Powerbook + Scion xA = Happiness
    Quote Originally Posted by Llynx
    I have a Sprint 650 ... I can see the keyboard across the house it is so bright. I do love the phone but I think I am going to need to do something about this. Do either Butler or TreoGuard address the keyboard backlight issue?
    Thus far, no 3rd party app can dim the keyboard. The hack listed in this thread (kblightsoff) will turn off the lights, but cannot dim them.

Get that app from here.
    http://www.lilapps.com/KBLightsOff.prc
    After launching it for the first time, the way you toggle the kb lights is by double-clicking the side button.
    EDIT: well, guess it's been a while since I've updated this app. Seems to be quite robust now...

P1 holds the solution. I won't hold my breath for them to help us out though...
    Last edited by ericshmerick; 02/18/2005 at 10:28 PM.
    I would also recommend ScheduleCare. It will do keyboard light toggle both manual and automatic plus much much more.

ScheduleCare Forum at TreoCentral
    Any new news on this front?

On 4/28/05, I just got the Sprint T650 with the Sprint Updater (1.08) pre-installed. The interesting thing: my Palm OS says 5.4.7 (as opposed to 5.4), if memory serves correct. What version of Palm OS is the unlocked T650?

On a related note, could Shadowmite work his magic on this?
    ###
    Darn it! Just tried <<Option key + right shift>> The Sprint T650's screen dims but not the backlight. D'oh! I thought this would be fixed by now!
    ###
    try keyshade hack-its free and you press the side button and lights go off-i keep mine off unless i am in a dark room
    Still in transition from T600 to T650...I haven't even begun to port data, let alone activate the phone! (Have mlights on T600.) Just registered and posted on Shadowmite's site here:
    http://shadowmite.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2235#2235
    While this won't fix the battery drain caused by the keyboard lights, perhaps you could get a case that covers the keyboard area when closed. The aluminum or magnesium cases with the clear cover come to mind. They leave access to the "middle buttons" and so you could still use an e-book or whatever.

By the way, can you adjust the screen brightness?

Mike
    I use BrightCam to automatically set the screen brightness based on how much light the camera sees and the Keyshades hack mentioned above for turning the keyboard lights off when I don't need them. Works so much nicer than any schedule based brightness app which will never know whether you're inside oe out at night. It sure would be nice if P1 would add dimming keys in the next release however.
    I second Jeff's suggestion, if you an app that will just turn the kb lights then go for kblightsoff, but if you want a more comprehensive app that will control the kb and the entire device then you should give schedulecare a try.
    Treoing & Loving it
    Get some cheap sunglasses :-)

Treo 650 - Cingular GSM
    Software:Treo650-1.20-ENA
    Firmware:01.71
    I don't like those 'skin glove opaque' cases. Takes away from the user experience. I like touching the keys without a propolactic!

Now here's a crazy thought. It's only a thought: I'm currently month to month with Sprint and I'm still using my T600.

If I return the Sprint T650 and get an unlocked T650 and go thru Cingular, I can get the diming feature! Plus I can use its higher speed data service (albeit at a higher price most likely.)

The only thing that is stopping me is the hassle of such a project and the fact that I'm a big believer in delayed gratification. If I wait long enough, I'm sure P1 and Sprint will have a solution.
    ###
    The more I think about it, how do we get this issue on palmOne's radar? I know it's a minor quibble to P1, but its the little things that matter...
    ###
    I want to point out that KB LightsOff gives you more than a simple way to manually turn your keyboeard lights on and off. Auto Mode causes the keyboard lights to come on when you use the keys, and off when youstop using them. This means that you can save on battery use even in dark situation when you need the lights. You can toggle AutoMode on and off with a simple keystroke.

The new 1.2 beta version (soon to be released) gives additional control of auto mode so that you can, if desired, precisely taylor it to the way you want your keyboard lights to behave (e.g., what keys would cause it to automatically come on and how long to stay on before automatically going off).

You can get more information on the beta version and how to get it from this thread.
    Last edited by silverado; 05/01/2005 at 01:16 PM.
    This is fixed in the GSM upgrade 1.23
    Pilot 5K->Palm IIIc->Tungsten T/T2->Treo 650/680 -> Pre+ (1.4.5 & Uberkernel)
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast