Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    Every once in a while my Treo soft resets and when it wakes up the saved preferences have been deleted. I have backups so I can get it back, but I would like to know why this happens. Has anyone seen this and made any headway figuring out what is causing the problem?

Thanks,
    Keith
    Quote Originally Posted by peridoc
    Every once in a while my Treo soft resets and when it wakes up the saved preferences have been deleted. I have backups so I can get it back, but I would like to know why this happens. Has anyone seen this and made any headway figuring out what is causing the problem?

Thanks,
    Keith
    This is one possible byproduct of the double-date changing problem. Do you have a Sprint or GSM 650? I used to loose this file all the time but have not lost it in a while now that I have disabled the double-date bug.

I am also loosing my Unsaved Preferences file now. Seems to happen quite regularly. Especially when the Treo crashes and HotSync is working or when some program that uses Unsaved Preferences is running when the system crashes. You'll know you have lost the file because you typically loose your HotSync ID in the process.

Jeff
    Global Posts
    431 Global Posts
    I have a sprint Treo 650. I read your posts a while ago about the date issue...maybe it is time for me to look into it further, because loosing this info is getting pretty annoying. Of course with a backup (actually for my 650 I use backupman AND backupbuddyvfs) I can get them back relatively soon. I have also lost my hotsync id as you mention once or twice. Major bummer...
    I have the Network Time Disabled and I'm still having this issue on my CDMA 650.
    Quote Originally Posted by zorro869
    I have the Network Time Disabled and I'm still having this issue on my CDMA 650.
    Definitely not a cure-all. The other thing that is happening is the NVFS and the way it buffers data that is written. It does not flush its staging area (buffers) when applications write to their databases. So what I *think* is happening is if your 650 has a crash while these buffers have not been written out, you loose that information. Hence loosing information that is supposed to go to the Saved Preferences database. This is my speculation based on the information I have gotten from the developers guide and personal experience. (I have lost my HotSync ID 4 times in the last week. Each time it was when my 650 crashed doing a hotsync. Well the hotsync program stores most of its information, including the HotSync ID, in the Unsaved Preferences database.) That's my best guess as to the reason why these files are getting lost so frequently.

The best defence against this is to keep *very* current and numerious backups on SD card.

Jeff
    Jeff- this sounds right on.

Is there any solution to this, such as having "par" files rebuild data as in the compression realm, or is this an absolute weakness of the NVFS system?
    I've lost a whole bunch of hours of playing Fish Tycoon on my phone cause it crashed and ate the Unsaved Preferences file (who would store game data there! boo!). Anyways, after that, I got paranoid and i regularly copy the file to my SD card (I'm sure one of the backup programs can do that), I also marked the Unsaved Prefs file with the Backup bit so that a hotsync pulls it down just in case. I don't think it is bad to back up the UPref file, I haven't had any problems yet.

I use zLauncher, I've noticed that if i launch from the SD, and press the green phone button to get out of the app and make a phone call, when I push the home button to go back to the launcher, zLauncher says "saving <app>" or something, I always though that was the problem (that the phone crashed before zLauncher could save whatever it was saving). So now I try to make sure I use the home button to exit a program before going to the phone.
    That just occurred to me too yesterday...

If you are using zLauncher and running apps from the SD card, using the home button to exit seems to be the key.
    1. HTC Touch Dual Neon 300, Stock Rom
    2. AT&T Tilt (Refurb) with DK.8 Rom (collecting dust)
    I think that zlauncher is loading an app from the SD card to RAM to run it. If you don't exit back to zlauncher, the program remains in RAM. That could possibly be causing the problem.
    Zane