Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Just got the palmone GPS kit for use with my Treo 600. One word to describe it, AWESOME!

I am using a Haicom 204e wired gps unit (can't use the included BT gps unit obviously) with a treo 600 adapter. Installation went like a breeze. I am using the Arkon Universal screen mount. This means a few wires dangling about the car dashboard. But I can live with that.

Took it for a test drive. The voice guidance is clear & loud. It tells me which exit to take in good time and coupled with the clear display of where you are and should be headed, its's quite difficult to take a wrong turn.

I deliberately took the wrong turn on a couple of occasions and the speed it re-routed was amazing. When the voice said 'You have reached your destination', I was exactly at the entrance to my house. I haven't experienced any resets and Tomtom has always detected the GPS unit on startup.

As far as I am concerned this is a killer app for the treo 600.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    imef2k,

How much (internal) free space do you have on the Treo. I started to run into problems with ~5meg free.

TomTom software is indeed awesome and I hope to upgrade to TT Navigator 5 when available. I will have to make sure it works with the 600 however. I think the extra customization features (colors, more vioces) and the real-time traffic reporting/re-routing will be a big hit. I set some POI warnings for railroad and police stations. Pretty cool. I wonder if a real-time speed/radar trap warning is in the works...ha ha

I was able to download some freeware gps palm apps and run those for fun also. Mostly non-graphical apps, but cool to see satellite position, altitude, speed, time, lon, lat etc.

TomTom Nav 4 is definately the best software I have purchased for my Treo.
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    imef2k,

How much (internal) free space do you have on the Treo. I started to run into problems with ~5meg free.

TomTom software is indeed awesome and I hope to upgrade to TT Navigator 5 when available. I will have to make sure it works with the 600 however. I think the extra customization features (colors, more vioces) and the real-time traffic reporting/re-routing will be a big hit. I set some POI warnings for railroad and police stations. Pretty cool. I wonder if a real-time speed/radar trap warning is in the works...ha ha

I was able to download some freeware gps palm apps and run those for fun also. Mostly non-graphical apps, but cool to see satellite position, altitude, speed, time, lon, lat etc.

TomTom Nav 4 is definately the best software I have purchased for my Treo.
    I have 11.2M internal memory free. I had 5M free before and decided to only have the apps "I always use" in internal memory. Could explain why I have had no problems with Tomtom so far.

I see myself using PowerRun in future to keep a healthy ~9meg free internal memory.

I hope TT Navigator 5 works with the 600. I will upgrade to the 650 in future so it won't be a disaster if it doesn't. What would be fantastic is if TT Nav 5 is a free upgrade!
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am not familiar with PowerRun, but will look into it. I know it is possible to run TT from SD card, and plan to hard reset & reinstall after my next trip. It needs the maps to run anyways and I have space on my SD for it. I'm still waiting on Tmobile to release the 650 & a sweetheart deal, but may be waiting for a while. The news is good re; TT Navigator 5 upgrade...all news says that the upgrade will be free for current owners. Can you think of anything that you would like to see in future versions...this thing is packed with features already.
    Quote Originally Posted by j$hort
    I am not familiar with PowerRun, but will look into it. I know it is possible to run TT from SD card, and plan to hard reset & reinstall after my next trip. It needs the maps to run anyways and I have space on my SD for it. I'm still waiting on Tmobile to release the 650 & a sweetheart deal, but may be waiting for a while. The news is good re; TT Navigator 5 upgrade...all news says that the upgrade will be free for current owners. Can you think of anything that you would like to see in future versions...this thing is packed with features already.
    Contacts address integration would be nice so you can select an address from your contacts list. The other problem is the phone integration with Tomtom. When you answer a call you lose the TomTom session. It does return after you restart it. I think this is more an OS issue which should be resolved with Cobalt. I think TTN5 will mute the voice directions and maintain the display whilst you are on the phone, which is the best you can do in the circumstances. Apart from the other potential improvements you have mentioned, I can't see much more missing from this app. It's that good.
    If TomTom make available a software only package for Palm, they will have the market sewn up. I can't see any reason to go for any of the current competing products in those circumstances.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I tried out TripPilot a while back and it did have contacts integration, but IS nowhere near as good as TT so far as features, UI, etc. I can see that I may not want to have to put all destinations in the contacts app, but some option to look there and look up an adress would be nice.

I'll do you one better on the interupt problem. I have experienced the phone call interupt and also have Snapper mail to access my email loaded on my Treo. It is scheduled to retrieve mail every 10 minutes or so. When it does, it interupts TT and I have to restart and configure my destination in TT.

So far as upgrades, the TT Nav5 is on the radar and hopefully works with the Treo 600.
    I plan to explore the Seidio car mounts and FM transmitter for audio thru my car radio...I drive a convertible and it gets a bit noisy making the voice commands tough to hear.

I am so imopressed with this I plan to look into the TomTom GO for my wife's vehicle, unfortunately, she is a non-Treo user. (The Horror, The Horror).
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I was able to free up loads of space on the Treo by using Filez so having the ~5 meg of free space is no longer a big issue. I have around 11meg free.
    I took my 1st big trip with the TomTom Navigator last week (from Boston to Hershey, PA). I am amazed by this setup. The software can be relied on to get you to your destination. I was rerouted from a non-existent exit due to contruction without error. I have been using this around town for unknown routes to locatins and it has been a big help. I can't recommend this enough.
    Hi all,

I bought a Treo 600 last week and I'm looking to add GPS functionality
    on the cheap. (isn't everybody hehe?)

I searched on eBay and found a bunch of Holux units for sale (about $50
    or so). Got a few questions if someone can help me out:

1) are these units any good?

2) it looks like it doesn't come with any software? Is Mapopolis
    recommended?

3) any other (cheap) solutions?

All I'm really looking for is voice-directions in a car so the cords
    aren't an issue.

Thanks,
    Matt
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    There are quite a few write ups and comparisons of palm GPS hardware (wired and Bluetooth GPS mice) & software, specifically TomTom vs. Mapopolis. Each has their pros and cons. I chose TomTom for my use and can answer any questions you have. I liked the user interface and 3D presentation of the maps in TomTom better. TomTom has the voice commands you are looking for and many different voices can be chosen. I believe that mapopolis has this as well and custom user defined commands can be loaded.

I have the iTrek GPS mouse and TomTom Navgator 4 software which came bundled for around $170 from www.semsons.com. I know that there are plenty of receivers on ebay as I looked there before my purchase but was unable to find the software and receiver even seperately for less than that price. You may be able to do better now.
    Thanks j$hort. I've found a number of Palm GPS comparison articles out there but nothing that talks specifically about the Holux unit. I'm hoping to find out that Holux is compatible with the Tom Tom software, as this appears to be the best choice based on this forum.

Cheers,
    Matt
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I would imagine that the Holux unit is supported by and would be configured in TomTom by specifying it as "Other Cable NMEA GPS". Can anyone with a Holux unit confirm this? I can vouch for the I.trek (also specified as "Other Cable NMEA GPS") in TomTom.
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I tried TomTom 4.40 (650 update crashed for me) with the Holux wired GPS that came with my PerfectPassenger. But TomTom didn't want to detect it So I was surprised to read here that people had TomTom running with wired GPS devices on the Treo 600.
    Currently I'm trying to get TT5 to run with my treo. But quits and returns to the launcher on me when I select the voice. I guess I didn't install it proprly.

So any reports on running TT5 on a treo 600 would be great.
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    I am using i.Trek GPS mouse model SGR-605. I set up in TomTom as Other cable NMEA GPS. The I.trek supports NMEA 0183 v2.2 data protocol. I did not realize TT5 was out for the treo yet, the web site ays available soon and does not have it listed on the compatibility list.

On an somwhat unrelated note. The Palm Universal Connector part of the i.trek cable completely broke apart this weekend. I was planning a seidio car/gps cradle for the 600 based on Tmo treo 650 availability (ie. did not want to by for 600 and not be able to use it for 650). TomTom support for the 650 would be a key point for this decision. So... anyone have TT5 working on 600 or 650?
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    f*ck TomTom5 doesn't run on my Treo 600 (it keeps quiting after selecting the voice file).
    And also v 4.42 doesn't recognize my Holux GM 210. Why?????!!!!!!! It's NMEA compatible!!! And why do the i.trek and Seidio car do work. Is the treo 600 adapter cable that connects to the ps2 plug weirdly wired, so that TomTom doesn't see it??
    Global Posts
    204 Global Posts
    Spud,

How much (internal) free space on the device? TOMTOM tells me you need ~5meg free
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    I have about 8 megs free space (using the dataviz tech tool to run docs to go from SD cleared some space)

BTW I read on mytreo.net how to fix a GPS cable to have TomTom see my GPS device: http://mytreo.net/forum/index.php/topic,10480.0.html
    So I'm gonna buy an extra Y cable to try this out. Hopefully I then can use TomTom 4.42 with my treo 600. This fix also explains why the seidio carkit does work with TomTom. The carkit probably exposes itself to the Treo as a cradle.
    I've given up on TomTom 5 though.

Maybe anybody knows of a software tool that can emulate the treo's in the cradle when only connected to a cable??

I also found how to fix the buzzing sound I'm experiencing recently. So I'll have some DIY weekend coming up. If I screw up I'll buy myself a treo 650
    Global Posts
    876 Global Posts
    Yeah, I got a spare cable, just in case and "operated" one of my GPS cables cable. And tada, TomTom Navigator 4 detects my Holux GPS!!!!
    Hopefully somebody finds out how to run TomTom 5 on a Treo 600, than I would be even more happy.
    Where are you guys getting TOM TOM 2004? I can't find it anywhere? I keep getting the SOLD OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

WHo has this working on SPRINT?
    Anyone have TT 5 working. It seems to be the only TT out there
    Bump
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast